[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a thread about NASA failures and the toxic culture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: erer.png (896 KB, 637x636) Image search: [Google]
erer.png
896 KB, 637x636
Can we have a thread about NASA failures and the toxic culture that precipitated them?

I was reading up on the Columbia disaster last night and I can't believe no one went to jail over this.

>Space shuttle Columbia takes off
>piece of foam insulation breaks off and damages the left wing
>NASA analysts insist the damage is nothing serious
>mission proceeds
>evidence from computer modelling shows that it might be quite serious
>NASA ignores the data
>DOD offers to photograph the shuttle in space so the crew can assess the damage and consider the prospect of repair
>NASA blocks the DOD from intervening, reasoning that there's nothing the crew can do about it
>NASA bureaucrats led by Linda Ham (who was later dismissed) decide that they're all dead anyway and it would be better not to let them know it
>Quote: You know, there is nothing we can do about damage to the TPS [Thermal Protection System]. If it has been damaged it's probably better not to know. I think the crew would rather not know. Don't you think it would be better for them to have a happy successful flight and die unexpectedly during entry than to stay on orbit, knowing that there was nothing to be done, until the air ran out?
>meanwhile NASA ground control sends the following message up to the crew before they begin reentry:
>During ascent at approximately 80 seconds, photo analysis shows that some debris came loose and subsequently impacted the orbiter left wing. The impact appears to be totally on the lower surface and no particles are seen to traverse over the upper surface of the wing. Experts have reviewed the high speed photography and there is no concern for RCC or tile damage. We have seen this same phenomenon on several other flights and there is absolutely no concern for entry.
>astronauts are now flying blind into almost certain death
>shuttle explodes over Texas
>Mission control declares a contingency and seals the room. Finger pointing begins at NASA
>>
>>7701161
Do you actually take the trouble to read up on the Columbia disaster every night before you make this thread again?
>>
File: columbia_direct_hit.jpg (20 KB, 610x407) Image search: [Google]
columbia_direct_hit.jpg
20 KB, 610x407
>shuttle explodes over Texas
over Palestine, TX
as planned
>>
>>7701161
Dude, again?
>>
>>7701161
Who are these semen demons
>>
>>7701280
spicz
>>
When it became clear that the orbiter was seriously damaged and likely wouldn’t survive re-entry, Flight Director Jon Harpold said to Hale and others at the meeting, “You know, there is nothing we can do about damage to the TPS (Thermal Protection System). If it has been damaged it’s probably better not to know. I think the crew would rather not know. Don’t you think it would be better for them to have a happy successful flight and die unexpectedly during entry than to stay on orbit, knowing that there was nothing to be done, until the air ran out?”
>>
File: th.jpg (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
11 KB, 300x300
>>7701178
Jewish astronaut killed in Palestine. Seems reasonable.
>>
>>7702671
And fuck all of the civilians on the ground who might get killed by flaming space shuttle debris. They're lucky it didn't kill anyone in its debris field.
>>
>On July 3, 2003, NASA's new shuttle program manager, William Parsons, reassigned three senior engineers who had been involved in the Columbia disaster, including Linda Ham. NASA administrator Sean O'Keefe took the opportunity to praise Ham publicly, saying that the reassignment was "no reflection, in my judgment, on the competence or diligence or commitment or professionalism of anybody...."[17] According to the Washington Post, "O'Keefe said she is so talented there is going to be a 'bidding war' for her among NASA facilities".

Pretty fucked up culture at NASA.
>>
>>7701161

>muh unrealistic expectation of safety

This is why space and supersonic travel isn't a thing any more. I'd be cool with dying if I got to go to space beforehand.
>>
>>7702705

I'd happily go on a one way trip to Mars if it meant I was the first there :D

I hope 'we' (American rockets/Astronauts+European/Jewish Physics) don't go to mars within the next few decades.

Pretty sure if they sent a mission within the next few years they'd send up a black man and a white women + Random oppressed minority to break the 'white boys' club of celestial body exploration.

Imagine how devastating a chainbreak that would be.

>First to the North Pole
white man
>First to the South Pole
white man
>First person to the bottom of the Challenger Deep
white man
>First person to fly an aircraft
white man
>FIrst person to break the sound barrier
white man
>First person in space
russian man
>First person on The Moon
white man
>First person on Mars
women/black man

That wouldn't be right :(
>>
>>7702725
russian men are white
>>
>>7702725
Can't believe I forgot this one

>First person to summit Mt Everest
white man

>First to the North Pole
white man
>First to the South Pole
white man
>First person to the bottom of the Challenger Deep
white man
>First person to summit Mt Everest
white man
>First person to fly an aircraft
white man
>First person to break the sound barrier
white man
>First person in space
russian man
>First person on The Moon
white man
>First person on Mars 2020
. . . . .women/black man

Pretty impressive achievement list for the West.

Wonder what oppressed group gets to steal landing on Mars first as a symbol for 'unity into the stars' or some shit.
>>
>>7701161

>Women in charge of anything.
>Women being jailed for incompetency.

Call it sexism for pointing that out all you want. But that is what's happening.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
TFW, you discover Linda Ham wasn't fired, she was reassigned and still works at NASA today.
>>
>>7702732
>Shitting on Gene Roddenberry's dream.
You're small time.
>>
>>7702727
Slavs are not white don't be that retard.
>>
>>7701161
>>Quote: You know, there is nothing we can do about damage to the TPS [Thermal Protection System]. If it has been damaged it's probably better not to know. I think the crew would rather not know. Don't you think it would be better for them to have a happy successful flight and die unexpectedly during entry than to stay on orbit, knowing that there was nothing to be done, until the air ran out?
>FEELINGS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN FIXING SHIT AND SAVING LIVES

They could've EVAed and retrofitted literally a replacement insulator. They could've sent up another shuttle to bring them down.

Why isn't there a social media campaign to have Linda Ham lynched? Does she have to turn into a male and flirt with someone online who isn't even a real student before that happens?
>>
>>7703734

Unfortunately, Linda Ham is a White woman, she has the double whammy of being immune to criticism from SJWs for her femaleness and being immune to criticism from normal people because she's a White.

It's over anon. She won.

:^(
>>
Enough people knew what really happened. Maybe she refused to play the role of the swamp gas foam patsy.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.