[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What diet has the best scientific support?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: purple-corn-ctr.jpg (103 KB, 1240x775) Image search: [Google]
purple-corn-ctr.jpg
103 KB, 1240x775
What diet has the best scientific support?
>>
>>7700289
eat a bit of everything, mostly vegetables
>>
I try to stick to the Mediterranean diet myself.
>>
Intermittent fasting has many benefits.
>>
Moderation and variety.
>>
File: sciencediet_landing_img.png (209 KB, 540x389) Image search: [Google]
sciencediet_landing_img.png
209 KB, 540x389
>>7700289
>>
>>7700289
Oh man, I'm imagining that those are actually gigantic black berries. Those would taste so delicious. These are the evens I can't; 2, 16, 92, 3594, 76, 4492432. Possibly 4.
>>
File: persepolis why.jpg (21 KB, 418x400) Image search: [Google]
persepolis why.jpg
21 KB, 418x400
>>7700289
>These are the evens I can't; 2, 16, 92, 3594, 76, 4492432. Possibly 4.
What the fuck just happened?
>>
>>7700319
This, mostly fish, bit of starch, fill in with fruits and vegetables, add a little red meat for variety.

Humans are evolved to be predatory omnivores who migrate to new habitats. What is the easiest thing to eat in a new habitats? Fish. Land animals are harder to hunt with no knowledge of their own migratory patterns and plants are more likely to poison you. Fish sustain humans, everything else is complimentary to a mostly fish diet.
>>
>>7700476
>>>7700289 (OP)
>Oh man, I'm imagining that those are actually gigantic black berries. Those would taste so delicious.
I agree completely. That's exactly how I felt going in to this thread.

>These are the evens I can't; 2, 16, 92, 3594, 76, 4492432. Possibly 4.
Except for this... I don't understand what happened here.
>>
File: evans-diet.jpg (204 KB, 623x420) Image search: [Google]
evans-diet.jpg
204 KB, 623x420
>>7700289
>>
>>7701139
>activated almonds
every time
>>
>>7701139
anyone have the party version of this?
>>
>>7700297
>eat a bit of everything
>eventually eat a bit of poison
>die
not good advice
>>
>>7700289
Not eating highly processed food.
Limiting intake of red meat.
Variety, but only to the extent that your own physiology tolerates (or requires) it. Not everyone can or should eat everything and anything.
It's highly arguable if dairy is good for you, regardless of if your body continuously expresses lactase.

Processed food is the important one. If you live in the US, most of it is nutrient stripped garbage. Parasitic "natural food stores" that set up in an area near rich neighborhoods, and where there is little competition, have given the illusion that decent food is expensive. It isn't. I find it ridiculous that people tell me "oh my, don't you have luxurious standards~!", yet I go shopping with them, see what they get, know the amount they paid, and get to see how long it lasted them. Nowhere near as cost effective as my own diet, and I wish they'd remember that as they consistently haul out the trash which is mostly all the goddamn packaging everything seems to need.
>>
>>7701153
It's true though. Hydrolysis of phytic acid
>>
>>7701205
Define "processed".
>>
>>7701406
I left it vague on purpose. Try writing an essay explicitly laying out a complete logical framework with which one can discern what is to be considered "processed" in the way I'm referring to here. Try writing a complete work on the nature of processing. It's not good communication.

The reality is, you already have an approximation of what I mean that probably overlaps enough. Take a bird, kill it, maybe dip it in a vat full of poop and acetic acid. Package it, or grind it and package it. This is "processing" from its original state, but not in a way that means much of anything. Short of selling its dead body whole, you can't escape this. Grinding up eg some tomatoes is processing as well. This is implicit.

I'm talking about things so heavily altered that it's more a product of engineering than simple food preparation. Something you can look at it, or even bite into, and not know what it's made of. Fast food, frozen prepared dinners, hot pockets, pastries, sauce mixes, candies. Etc.

It's not perfect nor complete, but absent of any deeper knowledge (in a naive state), it's a relatively reliable heuristic. You already knew what I meant. And if you thought you didn't, you just found that you actually did.
>>
>>7701426
I said what I said because I feel like people often toss around the word without having thought about what it means, or, what makes it good or bad. If it comes in a package, they call it "processed" and assume it is shit. Maybe your use of the word is more nuanced, if so, great. But I really do not know what you mean when you use the word without more explanation. Many people don't think it through and jump on the bandwagon.

But to emphasize, just because something has been manipulated doesn't make it bad. Or good. Depends on what happened to the product. Nixtamalization might be construed as the "processing" of corn, but it does a lot to improve corn, nutritionally and otherwise. Bread is an extremely "processed" product, that flour has been ground up and fermented, drastically altering it from its native state! You'd never know what exactly bread is if people didn't tell you! But is bread awful? Not inherently, depends on other factors.

"Processing" is not a good word to use in the sense you're using it, I think, because reality is more complicated than this word implies, unless you give paragraphs of hedging when you use it in order to specify the sense in which you mean it.
>>
>>7701139
>>7701153
lolo
>>
>>7701105
>I can't even....
>>
Anything where yoyr stomach'a constantly full of acid and you might have a bowel movement of a couple quarters of a gram at any moment of the day regardless of when the last one was.
>>
>>7701205
Everything is processed. Even your fruits and vegetables. You're talking about cookies, chips, junk food in general. Those foods are often high in salt and sugar. Red Meat has been eaten in large sums throughout history. It was an easy supply of food. Just like fish for coastal communities. These days you can buy cheap brown rice and white meats; such as fish and chicken.
>>
File: 6453rd time I've posted this .jpg (123 KB, 810x820) Image search: [Google]
6453rd time I've posted this .jpg
123 KB, 810x820
>>7701139
The actual most scientific diet.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.