[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Although von Neumann unfailingly dressed formally, he enjoyed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: JohnvonNeumann-LosAlamos.gif (281 KB, 490x639) Image search: [Google]
JohnvonNeumann-LosAlamos.gif
281 KB, 490x639
>Although von Neumann unfailingly dressed formally, he enjoyed throwing extravagant parties and driving hazardously (frequently while reading a book, and sometimes crashing into a tree or getting arrested).[2] He once reported one of his many car accidents in this way: "I was proceeding down the road. The trees on the right were passing me in orderly fashion at 60 miles per hour. Suddenly one of them stepped in my path."[3] He was a profoundly committed hedonist who liked to eat and drink heavily (it was said that he knew how to count everything except calories), [4] and persistently gaze at the legs of young women (so much so that female secretaries at Los Alamos often covered up the exposed undersides of their desks with cardboard).[5]

Biopic when?
>>
>exposed legs
this is why we need shariah law
>>
If only he had lived longer and not gotten nuclear bomb cancer
>>
>>7699169
Based.

Why did we have such based and interesting scientists/mathematicians around WWII?
>>
>>7699169
>>7699200

Being an alcoholic lech is not interesting. We have lots of those. It's not "based" either, or else half my family is too.
>>
>>7699208
Having self-destructive behaviour is only cool if you're also successful, but then it's very awesome.

Based alcoholics:
>Academics
>MDs/Lawyers/Engineers and other high earning professionals.

Faggots:
>Blue collar drunkards.
>Students in easy majors.
>>
>>7699169
> persistently gaze at the legs of young women (so much so that female secretaries at Los Alamos often covered up the exposed undersides of their desks with cardboard).[5]
What a creep.
#ThisIsWhyINeedFeminism
#YesAllWomen
>>
>>7699219
What about people who do pot, meth addicts and heroin addicts? Are they 'based" if they're successful too?
>>
File: hemingway.jpg (32 KB, 515x344) Image search: [Google]
hemingway.jpg
32 KB, 515x344
>>7699208
>Being an alcoholic lech is not interesting.
>>
>>7699233
>What about people who do pot, meth addicts and heroin addicts? Are they 'based" if they're successful too?
Yes, I would be extremely impressed if someone was on those and became successful. Except pot though, gay hippie bullshit is never based.
>>
>>7699219
Thanks mate.
And i thought im a failure if i spend half the evening drinking whiskey while solving pdes.
One more!
>>
>revolutionized several areas of math, physics, computing and economics
>last known polymath
>lived an exciting non-autistic life
>brought consciousness into quantum mechanics
Von Neumann is the hero /sci/ needs.
>>
Eccentric psychedelic using scientist prove to be very interesting while remaining. Less likely to be hipster doofuses.
>>
>>7699219
>but then it's very awesome.

You have extremely low standards.
>>
>>7699169
>>The trees on the right were passing me in orderly fashion at 60 miles per hour.
Is this a thing? Do a good deal of people really constantly consider themselves the stationary object?
>>
>>7699200

Because so much was at stake during that time.

Plus, they had the US and British governments throwing--no actually RAINING, cash on them to build this bomb.

This ended sometime during the late 1950s....

>mfw Project Orion got its start...
>>
>>7699304
Just think how fucking awesome it would've been to be recruited for Orion.

Getting funding to work on your wildest sci fi fantasies.

Goddammit.
>>
>>7699219
>but then it's very awesome.
not really if you are an adult
>>
>>7699459
Especially if you're an adult.
>>
>>7699453
they purposefully made it scary as fuck so JFK would shitcan the project.
>>
>>7699453

I would have been elated.

That during the golden years of atomic research.

There was a VERY good possibility that spacecraft would have been built.....had Starfish Prime not been carried out.

Still could be a reality. Mini-mag Orion, hell even Old Boom Boom could be built in low Earth Orbit.

>I want for my dreams to become reality so badly...and go to the stars...
>>
>>7699468
>they purposefully made it scary as fuck

.....the Air Force didn't care. They thought they could build the thing anyway.

But they underestimated public sentiment by that point...as well as JFK's position on nuclear weapons.

>mfw that orbital battleship was built
>mfw when the cassaba howitzer is deployed
>mfw the size of the crater left by that thing would dwarf anything in recorded history
>>
File: images.jpg (17 KB, 208x243) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
17 KB, 208x243
>>7699472
THEY WERE GOING TO PUT CASABA HOWITZERS ON THE THING ANON.

FUCKING CASABA HOWITZERS.

IMAGINE DEVELOPING THE ENERGY BALANCES ON THESE FUCKERS OVER YOUR MORNING COFFEE.

AND GETTING PAID TO ACTUALLY BUILD IT!
>>
>>7699505

Originally they weren't. The idea of putting those ugly bastards on the ship came when the entire project was handed over to the Air Force (when NASA was created).
>>
>>7699517
>those ugly bastards
Anon...how else are we supposed to defend the planet from the Alien hordes? The Howitzers are a necessity. We can't just point telescopes at them anon.
>>
>>7699529

>point telescopes at them

Those cannons were not really meant for shooting space aliens to oblivion....they were created to stop dem roooskies from attacking the United States of Freedom.

>saw the humor tho, laughed anyway
>>
>>7699295
>The trees on the right were passing me in orderly fashion at 60 miles per hour.

Pretty sure he was joking.
>>
>>7699295
>Is this a thing? Do a good deal of people really constantly consider themselves the stationary object?
Actually the quoted language makes no such implication
>>
>>7699543
Aliens, rooskies, the opponent doesn't mater. All that matters is that the United States of Freedom can blow them all away with nuclear fire.
>>
>>7700127

>nuclear fire

This alone will guarantee the United States of Democracy a long a prosperous life for years to come
>>
>>7699269
the only reason why I consider the idea of consciousness having anything to do with anything is because von neumann took the idea seriously
>>
>>7699295
>>7700097
Do you autists seriously dont know what an anecdote is?
>>
>>7701093
Just, wow.

Stop posting until you're older.
>>
>>7700105
It does. If you're moving, you're passing by the trees. If all else is moving, the trees are passing you.

The way it was phrased implies that he is stationary and the car is a machine that allows you to move the world around you very quickly. The car isn't moving, it's accelerating objects towards you quicker than your legs.

Which doesn't make sense as a natural viewpoint to have about the world. He's a physicist, it wouldn't surprise me. But I've known a lot of people who seem to naturally think the same way, and it really makes little sense but makes me interested. Because with enough practice it would become just as easy to think that way, and I want to know what spurred them to do it to begin with.

>>7701093
Anon, I don't even understand what you're trying to communicate.
>>
>>7701399
He was making a joke bro that's all
>>
I dunno, William Shockley and Bob Widlar were probably weirder and more exciting.
>>
>>7699295
Are you autistic?
>>
>>7701438
Probably not.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.