[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /sci/ averagefag here with a question. What would have happened
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 30jmadh.jpg (36 KB, 1024x491) Image search: [Google]
30jmadh.jpg
36 KB, 1024x491
Hey /sci/ averagefag here with a question. What would have happened if we started to build down, into the ground, instead of up?
>>
>>7698572
We wouldn't because digging into the ground is more of a pain in the ass than just sticking floors on top of one another.
>>
>>7698572
THE EARThis Hollow, THE nAZIS LIFE THEIRE
>>
there's underground water so you would need additional protection
you don't get sunlight, it's probably bad for your health and you need more electricity
also this >>7698578
>>
Okay, different question. Could we have invented technology to counteract any of that?
>>
>>7698603
any of this can be done, but what's the point
tell us about advantages of building downwards m8
>>
>>7698603
>Technology to remove the energy cost of transporting literal tons of dirt and rock
>>
>>7698603
There are a fuckton of underground buildings. i'm posting this from the eaton centre in toronto.
>>
For the sake of discussion, yeah, humans could build large underground metropolises. Let's say the Earth's magnetic field goes to shit for some crazy reason and the surface of the Earth is sometimes subject to deadly amounts of radiation.

Space would be at a premium since it takes a lot more energy to build down rather than up. Concrete would be the main building component, at least for the exterior. Drainage would be a key design aspect of the exterior to avoid the water table from gradually flooding everything without the constant use of pumps. Domed commons areas would be important to keep residents from feeling claustrophobic.
>>
Digging doen it expensive and time consuming and recourse intensive and doesn't look as cool
>>
>>7698634
>Digging doen it expensive

Do you have Doen Syndrome?
>>
>>7698572
We'd end up with large piles of dirt.

The sunlight, water, and cooling issues can be handled, but what are you going to do with all the displaced dirt?
>>
>>7698615
That's true, I love the underground pathways and buildings of Toronto. But there's really no underground dwellings, which is good, a lack of sunlight exposure isn't good for you, same with air and shit.
>>
>>7698768
BUILD A MOUNTAIN TO LIVE INSIDE OF
>>
>>7698634
It's a lot easier to build a structure up than down. Compare the volume of an open air stripmine to any moderate sized town and you'll see where this is going.
>>
>>7698780

are mountains just piles of dirt?
>>
>>7698849
Compressed dirt called rock, so yes.
>>
I'm literally posting this from an old fallout shelter with 8m of soil over my head.
>>
I'm posting this from ground level, outside of any
man-made structure. >>7699083 >>7698615 GET ON MY LEVEL
>>
This is a great thread for /tg/. They love this kid of shit.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.