[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello /sci/ i realize i could post this on /adv/, but i feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1417836457390.png (43 KB, 421x482) Image search: [Google]
1417836457390.png
43 KB, 421x482
hello /sci/
i realize i could post this on /adv/, but i feel like this board has a better chance of having actual input

so right now im a 2nd year computer science student and im slowly realizing that i absolutely hate it. im not struggling with the courses, but im also not miles ahead of anyone. since starting college ive been enjoying math more, but i dont think im very good at it. if it means anything, i got a 5 on the ap cs test and a 3 on the calc bc one.

im thinking about switching to a math major, since im already take plenty of classes for it, but i have no idea what mathematicians actually do or how they make money.

could anyone speak on majoring in math? im kind of freaking out because i dont want to keep going with cs, but im scared to break off.
>>
>>7697599
Cs is great, why do you hate it?
>>
>>7697610
i dont enjoy it at all and most of the time it feels like a chore unless im making dumb shit just for me. i understand what's going on (right now at least), but i dont naturally think in a computer science-y manner, so im scared that the farther we progress the more ill fall off.
>>
bump in hope of a math major/student seeing this
>>
File: CS.png (5 KB, 262x292) Image search: [Google]
CS.png
5 KB, 262x292
>>7697610

CS is trash. A 12 year old could learn it half asleep.
>>
still hoping for a response
>>
>>7697599
Job market is good right now and its pretty interesting and easy imo. What's not to like?
>>
>>7700119

>developing "enterprise" grade applications in java for a health insurance agency.
>>
>>7697599
Go for math if that is what you really want. But unless you do a PhD or Masters, odds are you will end up doing CS jobs, aka software engineering.

At least that is what statistics shows. But if you are really lucky and have connections you may be able to land a different kind of job.

But lets say you take the extra mile and if so the possibilities are endless.

As a math major you can apply to literally any STEM graduate program in the world. Even to some non-stem ones too.

You could get your Bs in math and then realize that you want to be an engineer. Worry not, do a 1 year engineering masters and then you will be the boss of every BsEng in your company.

Do a masters or PhD in CS and be your classmate's boss or choose to work in a lab and do research based job that a BS in CS is simply not enough to get in.

Get a masters in quantitative analysis and make 100k starting.

Or stay true to math and do a pure math PhD and teach at a university and do research.

Mathematics opens up all the doors in the work force and even if you don't want to go for more school, you are still qualified to do all the jobs a CS graduate can do.
>>
>>7697599
One huge thing that I've discovered while studying undergrad math, (beginning 3rd year here), was told to me by one of my favorite profs to date: With studying math comes a great deal of uncertainty. Anything past 2nd year classes (for the most part) is all proof and theory. There is light at the end of the tunnel, but no sign pointing to the exit, where you get a stamp on your forehead saying "Certified Engineer" or "Registered Nurse". You pretty much turn a blind eye to the end goal for the time being and focus on your studies. Further along, make sure you make a rapport with your profs and other people in your math community, they are the ones that are gonna end up pushing you into some career or towards someone who can get you there. While I'm not in your shoes right now, I did switch around in the general STEM-related fields before settling in on a math major. Mathematicians, if you only talk about doing math, (in the same way as a chemist working for a chemical company or a psychologist opening a therapy office), will study math, contribute to the math community or work on research depending on your discipline. But, math is one of the more versatile fields, you can work as an actuary, an accountant, a statistician, all manner of things. (By the way, a minor in CS / double major increases your employability out of the gate by a large factor, as well as your pay.) You could also stay in academia and teach provided you go far enough. Whatever you decide, just know that the computational stuff falls off pretty darn quickly after second year (again, a few exceptions like Calc 4, etc.) Most of it is all theoretical with a bit of applied theory. After that meeting with my prof, I had a renewed view on my choice of major, and it was quite encouraging. Know that there will be uncertainty, you're not gonna have a stamp at the end nor a push into a strictly-defined career. Just know that you won't regret studying in mathematics.
>>
>>7697599
>>7700177
adding on cause length: I encourage you to reconsider minoring in CS; many jobs require PHP/SQL/JavaScript. This is not to say that you can't teach yourself these things, you have some CS so you're not retarded to learn them on your own. Math is probably the most universal degree in terms of ground-level employment, it doesn't close many doors (of course excepting the applied fields like medicine or something). Build a good rapport with your professors, they'll be the most valuable employment tool. Godspeed.
>>
>>7700171
>>7700177
>>7700179
thank you guys. i guess ive got a lot to think about now.
>>
File: noice.jpg (14 KB, 164x180) Image search: [Google]
noice.jpg
14 KB, 164x180
>>7700194
good luck to you.
>>
>>7700210
same to you my man
>>
>>7697599
>>7697904
>>7699160

Hello OP. I will give you my own perspective. I graduated with a math major (after personal difficulty), and I'm happy with my decision.

I initially went in with the vague idea of majoring in chemistry (sounds like you had your vague idea too), but I simultaneously washed out of that, and realized that I had a better aptitude for math. After some further stupidity (mostly drinking), I got serious and graduated. When I applied myself, I enjoyed myself in that coursework, and liked what I studied, on top of knowing that I was studying something objectively useful - whatever ends it might eventually be put to.

My anecdotal sob story is not what's important for you. What's important for you, is to figure out what you want, and it sounds like you have a clear idea about that. Maybe it's not math after all, you're discovering what you like. I don't know your financial situation, I don't know what you want out of life. What I can tell you is this.

I am personally very happy and proud to have majored in something that I care about. My house is on fire, I have thirty seconds to save the one thing. The one thing I save is my stupid little bachelor's degree. I'm very proud of it, and I'm very happy to have studied math.

As long as you're not drowning in debt, pick a major you like/can live with/have aptitude for. If it's still STEM these days, so much the better. This is my counsel.
>>
>>7700222
many thanks
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.