[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.landoverbaptist.net/show thread.php?s=c415cc8e76f
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: 1425237674175.jpg (237 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
1425237674175.jpg
237 KB, 1280x1707
http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?s=c415cc8e76f77a1f7756665c8723cf8a&t=45427

How are people like this real? How can they dismiss simple experiments and explanations? There are hundreds of pages of this shit.
>>
Does the Bible ever actually say the Earth is flat? Dante had no problem putting purgatory on the opposite side of the globe from Jerusalem.
>>
File: Landover Baptist.png (39 KB, 1528x201) Image search: [Google]
Landover Baptist.png
39 KB, 1528x201
>>7693641
Well it's actually quite fascinating. They're able to exist by application of a special property called Poe's Law.
We went over it in my psych 101 class, I don't remember all the details though...
>>
>>7693647
>[citation needed]
If it's satire, I find it hard to believe someone can argue for 100 pages all for a big joke.
>>
>>7693650
It's a bunch of people doing it.

>I find it hard to believe someone can argue for 100 pages all for a big joke.
Let's not forget what site we're on here
>>
>>7693645
books that were later ruled non canonical state so more directly. Implicitly, there are several situations where the earth as described as the Bible (literally) cannot be spherical and would make sense as being flat, such as a tall tree that everyone on earth can see and as having a center (Daniel 4:10-11). Also the sky is described as a dome.

The short and quick retort to this or anything else that is in the process of being changed/reinterpreted is "metaphor."
>>
>>7693655
>as a tall tree that everyone on earth can see

Space elevator + grid/ring/branches
>>
File: Y u no fact check.jpg (194 KB, 731x960) Image search: [Google]
Y u no fact check.jpg
194 KB, 731x960
>>7693645

No, it's literally a myth cooked up by atheists to attack Christianity with.

http://www.veritas-ucsb.org/library/russell/FlatEarth.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth
>>
>>7693659
>just realize that those people in the other thread claiming Galileo was ostracized by the church because he claimed the world was round really believed that and probably because all this flat earth crap going around
Ignorance really is a two-way street, huh?

By the way, is this a real fad or is this just a /sci/ meme because I swear 3 years ago when I frequented /sci/ there wasn't shit on this flat earth nonsense. Like one topic every week or something, but nothing like this.
>>
>>7693659
>>7693655
>A few--at least two and at most five--early Christian fathers denied the sphericity of earth by mistakenly taking passages such as Ps. 104:2-3 as geographical rather than metaphorical statements.
Like I said, metaphor anything you don't like.

The Bible taken completely literally is obviously flawed, but so would most any work of art ("her face shone like the sun"). Like most any text it gets interpreted and changed to fit with the current trends.
>>
>>7693641
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landover_Baptist_Church
>>
>>7693675
>>Ps. 104:2-3 as geographical rather than metaphorical statements.
>Like I said, metaphor anything you don't like.

>Ps. 104:1-4
>1 Bless the Lord, O my soul.
> O Lord my God, you are very great.
>You are clothed with honour and majesty,
>2 wrapped in light as with a garment.
>You stretch out the heavens like a tent,
>3 you set the beams of your chambers on the waters,
>you make the clouds your chariot,
> you ride on the wings of the wind,
>4 you make the winds your messengers,
> fire and flame your ministers.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalms
>The Book of Psalms, Tehillim in Hebrew (תְּהִלִּים or תהילים meaning "Praises"), commonly referred to simply as Psalms or "the Psalms", is the first book of the Ketuvim ("Writings"), the third section of the Hebrew Bible, and a book of the Christian Old Testament. The title is derived from the Greek translation, ψαλμοί psalmoi, meaning "instrumental music" and, by extension, "the words accompanying the music." The book is an anthology of individual psalms, with 150 in the Jewish and Western Christian tradition and 151 in the Eastern Christian churches.

It's literally a book of music, chants, and poetry. Are you really contesting that symbolism and metaphors aren't common in music or poetry? Read the whole chapter, its purpose is clearly to praise the greatness of God who's the creator and not to be a textbook on the world.
>>
>>7693708
>It's literally a book of music, chants, and poetry. Are you really contesting that symbolism and metaphors aren't common in music or poetry?
>The Bible taken completely literally is obviously flawed, but so would most any work of art ("her face shone like the sun"). Like most any text it gets interpreted and changed to fit with the current trends.
>>
>>7693768
>changed to fit with the current trends

no
>>
>>7693818
In 50 years the majority of Christians will support homosexual marriage, claim those who opposed it weren't true Christians/misinterpreted and will largely ignore the role they played in opposing it.

Presently the doctrine of hell is being revised. You'll find many church describe it more as an absence/lack of presence of god and a place "people put themselves in" rather than a place of fire and brimstone that god deliberately tosses you to.

Christianity had a gradual shift away from slavery, sometimes condemning individual instances (especially for christian slaves), but largely supporting the institution.

Very early on their was shift away from polygamy within Christianity, where today polygamous marriages are largely viewed unfavorably.

It's always in flux, from person to person and time to time.
>>
>>7693830
>In 50 years the majority of Christians will support homosexual marriage

Absolutely not. They might accept civil unions' legal rights but not as valid Christian marriages.

>Presently the doctrine of hell is being revised. You'll find many church describe it more as an absence/lack of presence of god and a place "people put themselves in" rather than a place of fire and brimstone that god deliberately tosses you to.

Hell isn't the absence of god; the apostles' creed states that Jesus went there:

I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate,
>was crucified, died and was buried; he descended into hell; on the third day he rose again from the dead;
he ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty;
>from there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

Bringing punishment upon yourself is just a difference of wording.

>It's always in flux, from person to person and time to time.

Only in the protestant church (and spin offs that can hardly be called Christian like JWs, mormons, moonies) do you see such insane variation and rapid degeneration of beliefs over time. The Orthodox, Oriental, Catholic, and Assyrian churches have remain mostly constant throughout the ages.

Please do not group protestants in with the rest of Christians.
>>
>>7693883
And to protestants, Catholics are the ones who branched off and ventured into territory dangerously close to idol worship and polytheism. The factions disagree. Catholics have changed their position on what happens to dead non-catholic Christians, usury, and slavery.

There are nontrivial differences between significant factions of a religion. These differences have changed over time. Christianity today is not what it was yesterday or will be tomorrow.

All ideologies fluctuate. Religions grow and adapt, and those that don't, perish.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8PNvplrmHI
>>
https://8chDOTnet/sci/res/2337.html
>>
File: CMLIlZvWEAArFyV.jpg (55 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
CMLIlZvWEAArFyV.jpg
55 KB, 499x499
>>7693641
>3) Get High!
k
>>
>>7693655
>tall tree that everyone on earth can see

I suppose you could argue that it was just the king's dream.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.