[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Risk-taking = More white matter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 4a8259427562956.jpg (351 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
4a8259427562956.jpg
351 KB, 1280x1280
RISK-TAKERS ARE SMARTER, so sayeth researchers at the University of Turku, who used fMRI's and Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI) to analyse the brain structures of risk-takers and risk-avoiders, finding more white matter in the areas adjacent to the prefrontal cortex, the rear of the brain and the interhemispheric tracts of people who engaged in risky behaviour.

>White matter is the neural network of the brain. It transmits nerve impulses and regulates intra-brain communication.
>An fMRI measures blood oxygenation, which changes with neural activity in different regions of the brain.
>A DTI measured the between-group differences of the two groups: low vs high risk.

>Past studies have shown that people who deliberate more are smarter, whilst people who do not are dumber. The hypothesis of this study predicted the same, but the results were different. The explanation for the odd results goes as follows: more white-matter leads people to seek out more challenges in life, increasing their confidence.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151130113545.htm

Hear that, you pathetic little beta male? Your lack of risk taking means you're stupid. Ahahahha.
>>
>>7692940

put all your money on black and then come back.
>>
>>7692940
>more white-matter leads people to seek out more challenges in life
what
>>
>>7692940

So wait, how do they determine they are smarter...?
>>
>>7692940
So all the drunk druggies I see clubbing, hanging out of cars, risking the chance of STD's with strangers, and stumbling across traffic trying to use the force on oncoming vehicles are more intelligent then I?

sure thing pal
>>
>>7692940
>i use shitty blog-tier media to make bait threads in an anonymous imageboard to spend my time
>but i'm totally smart
>>
>people who deliberate are smarter
Means the exact opposite of what you posted you fucking retard
>>
>>7692940
white matter is made up of neuron connections and support structures for grey matter which are the neurons themselves.

if anything this confirms that people with more white matter are in fact more retarded for taking retarded risks since they don't have as many neurons as other people do.
>>
>>7693230
>reading half of sentences
>>
<university of turku
Stopped reading right there. More white matter in that spesific area would just make them to take those risks. Correlation and causation, what are those?
>>
>>7693207
Fucking this. Neekerin muna tutkimus.
>>
>>7693207
that's risky behavior, but those aren't real risks senpay
>>
>>7692940
Signs of intelligence are the amount and complexity of folds, not the raw amount of white matter.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.