[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /sci/ explain the feeling of being watched without psi?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1412720946252.jpg (76 KB, 771x988) Image search: [Google]
1412720946252.jpg
76 KB, 771x988
How does /sci/ explain the feeling of being watched without psi?

I'm normally pretty skeptical, but I've experienced this shit too many times in my life to write it off completely.
>>
>>7692732
Schizo
>>
>>7692732
I can explain the feeling that "the feeling of being watched" is somehow significant: Confirmation bias, lack of awareness of the subconscious, and stupidity
>>
>>7692732
>had a thought
>had a thought again
>that's two data points right there! I must be on to something
>>
>>7692732

It's called paranoia. It's a fairly well studied phenomena.
>>
>>7692732
well I know when I'm being watched quite often even though I have no obvious way of knowing(I'm looking at the opposite direction for example)

I'm not sure if that is what you mean

How is this possible? Because I know I'm not the only one who can do this.
>>
>>7692889
As the most recent example I've had of this

>lecture
>I'm sitting at the lowest row(auditorium shaped lecture hall)
>suddenly I get the feeling I'm being watched
>I turn, and I see someone I know watching me, several rows up, our eyes meet

how did I know that? how is that possible? even if I am going crazy, it doesn't explain that I acquired knowledge I should have no way of acquiring
>>
i remember of a research wich pointed out that with our eyes we kinda shoot out beams of light, an extremely low amount of energy, and thus being able to feel when someone is looking at us wasn't impossible
>>
>>7692898
probably because when you turned around, the other person saw the movement and moved their eyes to check it out
>>
File: 1447710478768.jpg (48 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1447710478768.jpg
48 KB, 766x960
>>7692898
>hall full of students behind him
>thinks that somebody is looking at him
>moves head around
>one out of the hundreds of students looks at him
>WOW SEE HOW I TOTALLY ACQUIRED KNOWLEDGE THAT I COULDN'T HAVE ACQUIRED??
right back to the looney bin with you
>>
>>7692898
Confirmation bias. You're just not remembering all the times that DIDN'T happen because why would you.

>>7692907
Yes, I heard that too. Actually I heard the research went on to say that all light is actually emitted from our eyes, and that without eyes the world would be perpetually dark.
>>
>>7692732
>How does /sci/ explain the feeling of being watched without psi

We don't. There are several phenomena that have been recorded to exhibit supernatural (not in the Hollywood sense) action of the mind. Since it's supernatural, it's no longer in the domain of natural philosophers (aka physicists) and becomes a question of metaphysics of the mind (thus you have to wait until you meet your creator to find out any real answers).

>inB4 radical skepticism that could be used to argue anything doesn't exist
>>
File: x.png (321 KB, 546x697) Image search: [Google]
x.png
321 KB, 546x697
>>7692969
>We don't
Who's we, /x/tard?
>>
>>7692814
*phenomenon
>>
>>7692992
>physics
>engaging with things outside of physical laws

Pick exactly one.
>>
>>7692898
If he really was looking at you at the point where you felt it he would've looked somewhere else as soon as he saw you turning.
Yet he looked you in the eye.
Therefore, he can't have been looking at you and your feeling was wrong.
Q.E.D.
>>
>>7693004
>all people are beta phaggots like me that avoid eye contact
dat projection m8
>>
>>7693010
No but OP's friend is :^)
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.