[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /sci/ mech eng student here. just finished calc3, de, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
hey /sci/

mech eng student here.
just finished calc3, de, and phy2 this semester and
start actual engineering school next semester.

the load was kind of heavy taking those three...
does it get any easier?
i'm fucking tired.
>>
>>7691459

Physics/Early Math are cheesecake compared to engineering.
>>
>>7691468
early math?
calculus 3 and de are not 'early' anything lol.

the math in engineering is just the applies knowledge
from calc 1,2,3 and phy 1,2.
shaddufuqup.
>>
>>7691459
Jeepers Creepers lad, I took those three along with Organic Chemistry and Lab. You're fucked if that was a heavy load. My advice is to take it easy and take only one or two heavy/core engineering classes per semester, and then two or three of the easier ones ("Communication for Engineers", Computational Methods, Thermo, etc.).
>>
>>7691476
well the engineering school im going to requires nothing lower than a b from calc1-3 phy1-2 and de. so it was a little rough just making sure not to get any low grades.
>>
>>7691470
Diff eq is the prereq to many engineering courses, meaning that's every actual engineer's ground level.
>>
File: 1447300358848.jpg (29 KB, 493x384) Image search: [Google]
1447300358848.jpg
29 KB, 493x384
>>7691459
Taking DE's, MV calc, Functional Analysis, and phys 2 next semester. How fucked am I?
>>
>>7691476
Did you have a life outside of studying and working on projects?
>>
>>7691524
JUST
>>
>>7691459
If you're having trouble managing just 3 classes, then yeah, it's going to get a lot worse. I'm going to take a stab in the dark, and say that you should try to work on being more organized. 90% of succeeding in an engineering program is just having your shit together. It's all about managing complexity.

>>7691470
Don't kid yourself, calc 3 and engineer-tier differential equations are fucking baby math in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>7691629
Imagine what you're assuming now, that the majority of my conscious productive time was spent in school-related activities. Now turn that on its head. I spent 14 hours a week in class, and an additional six to ten on studying and homework (mostly for Organic Chemistry). I had a 20 hour a week job at the same time.

But when I actually got to the hardcore engineering classes, whoah boy. Probably 15 to 20 hours of projects and homework a week. In MEB and Transport, one homework alone (due each week) took six to eight hours to do.
>>
>>7691470
for STEM majors, yeah that's early.
>>
>>7691872
How'd you stay sane?
>>
>>7692145
You mean with easier classes or engineering classes? Either way, time management sort of comes naturally to me. With the easier classes I listened in class, did examples in my own notes along with (trying ahead of, if I at least partially understood what was going on) the professor.

Cut out internet (oops, where am I now) and video games. Time flies by with them, so without you have much more time to think, process what you've learned, and physically exercise (which helps your brain and your mental health).

Six hour homeworks are easy to get used to. Just as Calculus I is a set of processes mechanically applied, the mastery of which prove you to not be a retard, so are basic engineering classes. It's just Plug and Chug (with identification of variables and usable equations beforehand) before the big league experimental/decision-making shit.
>>
>>7691872
Oh my life was so hard 15-20hrs. Stfu my program had me doing 8hrs of lectures and then 3-4hrs of studying a day. Then still working. It's not that bad OP you can do it you'll just be tired AF
>>
>>7692229
This, so much. If you really wanna succeed at school it's not hard, but you have to have priorities. Start on assignments as soon as you get them, don't procrastinate. Also nuke the vidyas, that shit robs your thinking power and makes time get away from you. Give yourself an hour before bed each night of not studying otherwise you will develop insomnia. And make a point to do something fun for a couple hours at least once a week, otherwise you will get depressed.
>>
>>7692247
Not my fault you didn't understand the material and had to study so much.
>>
>>7691459

senior chem e student here,

If you want to graduate on time, you will need to take way more classes per semester (5 or 6) and maybe spend your spring and summer doing option classes (non-stem).

Honestly its all a blur to me, profs writing equations on chalkboards, assignments, labs, tests. In the end, I can say I got my engineering degree by the age of 22 and never study again.
>>
>>7692468
Sounds pretty terrible, would your job/career have you learning more?
>>
>>7692468
>and never study again.
Enjoy your nojobs, it's easy to go obsolete as an engineer
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.