[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /sci/. First time posting on this board, I usually post
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
Hello /sci/. First time posting on this board, I usually post on /b/ or /mu/. At my school, I started up a combat robots club and currently me and my team are coming up with different ideas for what to build and I wanted to hear your opinions with what we came up with. So we decided to go with a horizontal spinner though we're not sure if we want to make it a full-body spinner or a an overhead spinner. The robot will be run on 5-6 NiCad batteries, 2 of them for the drive motors and the rest for the weapon motor. The chassis will use aluminum reinforced with titanium. We're unsure what grade yet. The weapon will be made of steel, also unsure what grade to use. We're planning on putting the wheels on the outside of the robot to conserve weight.
>>
Put the center of gravity and the profile as low as possible. If anything battle bots has ever taught me it's that getting flipped is the most common cause of "death".
>>
ht-9 or tungsten tips
>>
>>7691341
Yeah, I've seen that alot, and that's my main concern with most horizontal spinner designs. Would you say attaching magnets to the underbelly of the robot be a reasonable idea or would the sawblades coming up from the ground only ruin them?
>>
>>7691352
Maybe have little metal rods swing out on the side very close to the ground when the blade spins to prevent flipping yourself when hitting someone with the blade.

That would limit the angles from which you can attack but provide stability.
>>
Can my bot be a toad?
>>
File: 7641571314_b1bab51dd7_z.jpg (207 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
7641571314_b1bab51dd7_z.jpg
207 KB, 640x480
>>7691357
Well, the robot's weapon is going to be something similar to that of Son of Whyachi, pic related, except instead of the three bars connected by poles, it's going to be one singular bar that's been bent into an arc
>>
>>7691358
It can, but I can't imagine that being any good
>>
>>7691360
>we're gonna copy their design but make it worse
>>
>>7691360
>Son of Whyachi

The main problem here seems to be traction instead of getting flipped.

Have you thought about having something counter-rotate or do your wheels provide enough grip to allow your weapon to gain speed quickly enough while remaining manuverable?
>>
>>7691362
I wouldn't say worse, and besides the only reason why their robot was effective in the first place was because they made it a shuffle bot so they can make the weapon heavier
>>
>>7691363
They're going to be made of solid rubber, the performa kind so I'm not too worried about the traction that much
>>
>>7691366
>I wouldn't say worse
it has no reinforcement so the bar takes 100% of the torque each hit. and follow up hits are slower for a given motor speed.
>>
>>7691369
well, what would you do as an alternative?
>>
>>7691373
Have a spring loaded ring-like platform around the bot that can be wedged under the opponent and flips them.
>>
>>7691375
so basically a flipper.
>>
>>7691373
attach a plasma arc welder to your bot
>>
>>7691381
I'm pretty sure they don't allow that at any competition
>>
>>7691388
well then just put some superconducting electromagnetic wires around you bot and shoot neodymium magnets at the opponents bot and itll never get close enough to you. then proceed to hit it with a tungsten tipped punch or flipper
>>
>>7691392
that's not allowed either dude.
>>
>>7691396
some babby tier competition
>>
>>7691398
these have been the rules, for like, ever dude.
>>
>>7691399
tethered projectiles are allowed so just attached the magnets to ropes you they can neither get too close or get far enough away. perfectly legal
>>
Why not lithium ion/polymer batteries?
>>
>>7691407
higher current and we don't want to worry about the batteries setting on fire.
>>
Are you allowed to use electricity and shock other vehicles?
>>
>>7691381
kek
>>
File: battletoadz.png (207 KB, 548x480) Image search: [Google]
battletoadz.png
207 KB, 548x480
>>7691358
Stupid frogposter.
>>
>>7691409
You sure lipos aren't gonna provide current faster than nicad? I thought that was one of their main advantages?

And as long as you protect them you won't get a fire and you'll still save a ton of weight. I used Lithium Ion batteries back in high school for my robot, but that was a competition with a 15lb weight limit.
>>
>>7691441
No, we can't. I don't understand most people ask if that's allowed, I mean most people when they ask me about battlebots, electricity and shock weapons are the first thing they ask about.

>>7691441
My impression was that because there were so many batteries hooked up in parallel that the current in NiCad was higher than in LiPo?
>>
>>7691456
woops. The electricity comment was for >>7691430
>>
Make a robot with a very high rpm "hammer blade" and high traction wheels.

Hammer wheel like a .75m diameter iron disk that has 6 protrusions the size of bottle caps.

Spin that bitch at 1000+ rpm and you will be indestructable if the tires have enough traction to turn 30°/s
>>
>>7691464
what do you mean by hammer blade? Like, are does it use hammer heads as the 6 protrusions or what?
>>
>>7691474
An iron disk 0.75m in diameter that has 6 points that are firmly welded to it. The points are the size of bottle caps, but sharp and square. As long as it can spin in place and move with such high rpm, it will be undefetable.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.