[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Planetary Structure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 606x606) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 606x606
I have been chewing on this idea that planetary material is distributed through the mantle in a toroidal density pattern. The convection patterns would follow this as well.

Could explain why most of our terrestrial planets have a large ring or plateau at one pole of their spin axis.

Written a bunch of stuff explaining it further, too. Poke holes in this idea please.
>>
Are there aliens inside the torus?
>>
>>7688329
No, just hot dirt and nickel
>>
>>7688333
Indeed. I wish I knew anything about Geology or Geophysics so I could be a suitable interlocutor at this juncture. Unfortunately, I am yet another useless partisan in the dialectic through which recedes the common denominator of this board's post quality.
>>
>>7688339
A quaint observation which has left my attitude rather poignant pertaining to my status as OP
>>
File: vortex_in_vortex_out.gif (36 KB, 398x376) Image search: [Google]
vortex_in_vortex_out.gif
36 KB, 398x376
vortex math yo

how do you wanna use it, any ideas?
>>
>>7688349
>>7688339
I hope you guys are memeing. Nobody is this euphoric r-right?
>>
Actually i had the same idea about a year ago. I thought about it for a couple of weeks until i found one counter-example (which i can't recall right now) and then completely forgot about it.
>>
File: 1365986074671.gif (655 KB, 460x426) Image search: [Google]
1365986074671.gif
655 KB, 460x426
>>7688322
That's actually a very interesting thought OP

That at our south and north poles there are vortexes in the mantle... in fact these could be another factor in what builds the magnetic north of the planet and when the world finally does that polar swap could result in a very interesting flow of magma beneath the crust that could break the continental plates; come to think of it this might be what happened to Pangaea... in fact that's actually a more realistic thought than that an asteroid hit the earth

Thanks for that little bit of inspiration OP, I'm sure the rest of you can get this thought to decent sources

Also, this has given me a thought in regards to earth space and the layerings of the bounds of the universe and it's extraction patterns of a multiverse

#smashing
>>
File: 1423683410042.jpg (29 KB, 577x599) Image search: [Google]
1423683410042.jpg
29 KB, 577x599
>>7688992
Early space*
>>
>>7688968
Forget about this comment, i was thinking about planetary motion around a star.
>>
>>7688322
>>7688992
Groovy

Now could either of you devise a way to increase the magnetic field strength of Mars in a way less destructive than smashing asteroids into it? That'd be great thanks, please preserve the surface, the potential for archeologists to study lifeforms from billions of years ago is just too important.

BTW, the earth has a bulge due to it spinning, maybe this is why there's plateaus or rings on the poles? Sometimes the explanations are actually much simpler than expected.
>>
>>7688322
>large ring or plateau at one pole of their spin axis.

I wasn't aware that they did. Which planets have a plateau?
>>
>>7689899

If you're referring to Antarctica, that wasn't always at the pole.
>>
File: 1448835303770.gif (297 KB, 460x426) Image search: [Google]
1448835303770.gif
297 KB, 460x426
>>7688992
I could not help but notice your gif was not optimized anon.
I have optimized your gif.
Your gif is now optimized.
>>
>>7688882
Predict polar shifts on earth, predict protoplanetary formation.

Apologies for the late response
>>
>>7689904

you are a good person
>>
>>7688322
My guess is primary motion ofor fluid is motivated by magnetic field. Smaller order effects would be density of material and gravity differential.
>>
>>7690684
Conservation of energy does not agree.

I believe the magnetic field is driven by a vortical dynamo
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.