[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if our bodies temperature are around 37º C, why when we are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: heatwavechile[1].jpg (25 KB, 580x240) Image search: [Google]
heatwavechile[1].jpg
25 KB, 580x240
if our bodies temperature are around 37º C, why when we are in some place at 30º C temperature do we feel heat instead of cold
>>
Because the feeling of heat is entirely biological.

It's basically your body telling you to gtfo of the sun coz sooner or later you'll overheat.
>>
Our body generates its own heat, especially if we are active. Without cooling off our bodies will overheat even at temperatures bellow our natural body temperature. And even though evaporative cooling (i.e. sweating) can work when it is hotter than our natural body temperature outside, it does not work particularly well at high temperatures.
>>
>>7688159
Core temp vs external.
>>
internal body temp, not surface temp. and we dont feel "temperature" we feel rates of heat transfer (heat flux)
>>
Without going into huge amount of heat transfer details. You do not feel temperature, you feel the rate of heat transfer, heat flux as earlier mentioned. The rate of heat transfer by convection ( the mode of heat transfer most responsible for heat transfer described in this scenario), along with all other modes of heat transfer depend on the temperature difference between the body and what its transferring heat with. If your body is 37 degrees and the air temp is 30 you will lose less heat per second than if the air temp was 20. In both cases you are losing heat but at different rates, and that's why if feels warmer.

On a further note your hands and skin will not be 37 degrees anyways, this was an overly simplified analysis assuming it was.
>>
File: 100W.jpg (2 KB, 109x111) Image search: [Google]
100W.jpg
2 KB, 109x111
>>7688159
100W at rest
it has to go somewhere
else your temperature rises
>>
>>7688159
That picture is the cover art for the book "The Teachings of Buddha" as distributed widely in Japanese hotels

They'll also mail you one for free anywhere in the world in the language you want if you request it
>>
>>7688553
>if you request it
where?
>>
>>7689516
http://www.bdkamerica.org/book-product?title=&field_book_taisho_tid=All&taxonomy_catalog_tid=254&field_type_value=All

I stole mine from a hotel in Kamakura, then sent them a new one through the site >_>

My first exposure to buddhism was literally theft
>>
DUDE I WAS LITERALLY GOING TO MAKE THIS THREAD!
>>
>>7689519
Works only for USA, thanks anyway.
>>
>>7689639
Perhaps that link does, I thought it worked everywhere though. hmm
>>
>>7688173
>and we dont feel "temperature" we feel rates of heat transfer (heat flux)
Yes and no. Thermoreceptors do feel temperaure, but only their own temperature (within the skin) rather than either core body temperature or the ambient medium. Since the skin is between these two thermal reservoirs, and since the near-skin tissues do have thermal resistance, the primary factor driving the temperature of the skin and thus the thermoreceptors themselves is indeed the heat flux.
>>
>>7688419
I like the picture. So simple yet so effective.
>>
File: sdsds.png (155 KB, 1677x777) Image search: [Google]
sdsds.png
155 KB, 1677x777
>>7689681
South American office does not send the book for free.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.