[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there some way to deactivate optical illusions by changing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Optical illusions.jpg (484 KB, 525x525) Image search: [Google]
Optical illusions.jpg
484 KB, 525x525
Is there some way to deactivate optical illusions by changing the colors or angles or something?

Are there people with superior brains that just don't get fooled by optical illusions?
>>
File: Untitled.png (736 KB, 525x525) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
736 KB, 525x525
focus on the black circle
>>
Visual focus can dampen the effects of optical illusions.
>>
>>7687787
There are people who don't get fooled by some optical illusions, they are called "schizophrenics."
>>
>>7687809

Fun fact, there are no blind schizofrenics.
>>
>>7687877
source for that?
>>
>>7687877
That can't be right. Are you making a funny?
>>
>>7687881

The fact that schizofrenia is extremely uncommon. like in blind people is a serious field of study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7219238

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fpsyg.2012.00624/abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7219238

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fnhum.2014.00940/abstract
>>
>>7687888

Would blinding a person that is a developing schizo be a viable treatment?
>>
>>7687893

No. It's just that early blindness prevents the condition from developing. Like if a child has a long family history of schizofrenia and is blinded at say age 1, the chances of that person developing the condition is basically zero. If they are born blind the chances literally are zero.
>>
>>7687893
omg it would be worse, just imagine a patient with schizophrenia, and then he turns blind on top of that, just imagine how he would feel inside now and how much worse the schizphrenia would become.
>>
>>7687893
>Blind or schizophrenic
I think I'd prefer to just be dead if I was given that choice
>>
>>7688078
i'd prefer schizo
>>
The white/black after-images are pivotal to how these kinds of optical illusions work. If you made them green or other colors with very low contrast, then it wouldn't work. And if you change the angles to be too erratic then the brain would probably not be sufficiently convinced that it's actual motion.

Inability to see optical illusions is more associated with poor visual awareness than with superior visual processing. You can easily deactivate them by focusing on something else, squinting your eyes, or being drunk. And considering optical illusions happen pretty early in the visual processing center of the brain and not in the forebrain, even if there are some brains that don't get fooled by them it would mean nothing more than "this brain doesn't get fooled by (certain) optical illusions" with likely no correlations to any other kind of visual superiority.
>>
>>7688104
I'm Schizophrenic and I would have preferred to be blind a 1000x more.
>>
>>7687893
There are many drastic and surprising cures.

For instance psychopaths can be treated with hot plumbum injections in glueus maximus.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.