[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is it that E. Coli from human feces can infect humans? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: E Coli.jpg (1 MB, 1988x1511) Image search: [Google]
E Coli.jpg
1 MB, 1988x1511
How is it that E. Coli from human feces can infect humans? What is it that is different about the pathologic E. Coli and the symbiotic E. Coli in the gut?
>>
>>7687748
those in the gut or even on your skin usually are not supposed to go into your blood or lungs and multiply there. also there are many different strains, some might produce toxic stuff some dont, but that depends on many other factors.
>>
>>7687775
That makes more sense. But, say a man gets an E. Coli infection from eating food prepared by a man who didnt wash his hands after taking a shit. How does that happen?
>>
>>7687781
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infection
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammation
>>
E.coli in the gut cannot become pathogenic for several reasons. A simple one is they have no need to. Bacteria are generally pathogenic when they invade host tissue in order to gain nutrients. In the large intestine, they have a smorgasbord. Plus they are also in direct completion with many other species of flora.

When they invade the stomach, they are no longer in competition and as the food in the stomach and small intestine is not often in a form usable for E.coli, they invade host tissue, causing disease.

Mutalistic or commensalist organisms in our body are generally fine so long as they are in their niche. When they are moved out of that niche, they are long an introduced species and run rampant as the usual competitors and environmental conditions that control their growth are removed.
>>
>>7687781
see
>>7687775
Gut bacteria are meant to remain in your gut i.e. lower intestine. In your stomach they can get into your blood stream and cause infection.

In fact, even the outer lipopolysaccharide layer of e.coli (and other Gram negs) can trigger infection like symptoms even if all the bacteria are dead.
>>
There are lots of different strains of e.coli. Some are just plain toxic (eg verotoxin-producing e.coli). Even for the beneficial ones your gut is adapted to have a particular balance of bacteria. I guess different peoples' guts are adapted to different strains idk.

Also the same bacterium in your upper GI tract / stomach can make you sick even if it's beneficial in your colon.
>>
File: 2015_10_11.gif (991 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
2015_10_11.gif
991 KB, 500x380
>>7687816
That answers everything. Thanks bro, and the rest of you too. Except for wikipedia guy.
>>
>>7687863
>Except for wikipedia guy.
how rude
>>
File: 1448789492143.gif (976 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
1448789492143.gif
976 KB, 500x380
>>7687863
I could not help but notice your gif was not optimized anon.
I have optimized your gif.
Your gif is now optimized.
>>
>>7687748
Isnt it obvious. If you shat on someone they would obviously want to murder you. Try shitting on your mom, bet she'll wanna kill your ass.
>>
>>7687875

Where did this meme come from?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.