[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
coconut water as iv fluid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: german.jpg (53 KB, 499x303) Image search: [Google]
german.jpg
53 KB, 499x303
Can coconut water be used as iv fluid for animals? for example: dogs or cows. I heard research was done for humans but I haven't read anything for animals.

pic unrelated
>>
>>7684187
>I heard research was done for humans
Really? What were the results? I've never seen something like this.
>>
>>7684215
Campbell-Falck D, Thomas T, Falck TM, Tutuo N, Clem K (2000). "The intravenous use of coconut water". Am J Emerg Med 18 (1): 108–11. doi:10.1016/S0735-6757(00)90062-7. PMID 10674546.

this one....found on google
>>
>>7684434
I can't imagine how that study could be done without ethical concerns.
>>
If you have sterile saline solution, you should use that. Coconut water is a last resort if you have absolutely nothing better.

I see no reason why it couldn't be used on animals... but again, if you have saline, that's much better.
>>
>>7684441
a hospital ran out of IV for a dehydrated man and had to use coconuts for 2 days before resupply. it was an emergency
>>
>>7684187
The Kanone wehr s the Gebirgsflugzeug ab.

is german such a code for others?

I've noticed that even the brightest english minds, have horrible accents and make grammar mistakes like a child at times. I dont get it. Because for me, english is easy to understand.

to topic I have more questions then answers:

Can coconut water be used as a fertilizer?

>>7684445

isn't coconut water pure, if grown and extracted correctly? What if one would add saline to coconut water?

In 1954, three doctors - Eisman, Lozano and Hager - combined the findings from their research. Between them, they had administered coconut water intravenously to 157 patients in Thailand, the USA and in Honduras - the majority, 136, being in Honduras. Out of 157 patients, 11 (that's about 7 per cent) had reactions to the coconut water. These reactions included fever, itchiness, headache and tingling in the hands. Some unspecified number of patients also suffered aching sensations along the veins into which the coconut water was infused. This was thought to be due to the high potassium levels of coconut water.

And this brings us to the claim that coconut water is identical to blood plasma. It isn't.

(There are two different "lots" of water in your body - the water inside your cells, and the water outside your cells.)

Human blood is about 55 per cent salty water, and about 45 per cent cells - overwhelmingly red blood cells with a tiny sprinkling of white blood cells and the like. The red blood cells give blood its red colour.

The salty water, called plasma, is a clear slightly yellowish liquid, with high levels of sodium, low levels of potassium, and trace amounts of other minerals. Genuine intravenous fluids are manufactured to have high sodium and low potassium.

1/2
>>
>>7684676

2/2

Coconut water is not identical to the plasma. Instead, it is closer to the liquid inside the red blood cells, with low sodium and high potassium - the exact opposite. Everywhere in your body, when you compare the liquid inside your hundreds of trillions of cells with the liquid outside these cells, the levels of sodium and potassium are opposite. In fact, each cell has myriads of sodium and potassium pumps to shove the sodium outside, and the potassium inside.

Coconut water has about one-fortieth the sodium level of plasma, while the potassium level is about 10-15 times higher. But besides the high potassium, coconut water is also loaded with calcium and magnesium, which means it's definitely not suitable for patients with kidney failure, severe burns, etc. Another problem is that it is much more acidic than human plasma. The bottom line is that coconut water is not identical to human plasma.
>>
Could vampires substitute coconuts for blood?
>>
>>7684187
That pics retarded.
Why the fuck is flugzeug cut in half? god dammit I dont even speak german and can tell it should be one thing and probably means airplane.

At least make it resemble the actual meaning a little, like

>Its a kanone to abwerg the flugzeuge in the gebirgs
>>
>>7684704
Isn't it just an 88mm?
>>
File: anti_aircraft_gun_Flak_88[1].jpg (65 KB, 950x568) Image search: [Google]
anti_aircraft_gun_Flak_88[1].jpg
65 KB, 950x568
>>7684707
no.
>>
>>7684704
>Gebirgs = mountain
>Flugzeug = airplane
>Abwehr = defense
>Kanone = cannon

So it's an anti-air cannon you build on a mountain. Now, let's try to figure out Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz.
>>
>>7684187
Thanks for the examples, they strengthen your shit question.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.