[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fell for the STEM meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: alcoholic1.jpg (14 KB, 600x434) Image search: [Google]
alcoholic1.jpg
14 KB, 600x434
>studied chemical engineering
>56k in tuition debt
>been 6 months looking for a job until finally i got one as a chemical supply salesman
>can barely pay rent and have to choose between cable tv and internet

Thanks guys, thanks for the SHIT advice.
Gladly, helium tank is already in the mailbox.
>>
>>7684087
I don't get this board.

>Suggest people become engineers for the salary despite there not being a high demand for engineers
>Shit on CS majors despite there being a high demand and pay for codemonkeys

I'm sorry they did this to you OP.
>>
>>7684087
Just imagine how many of the visitors to this board were pressured by these autists to major in the SM parts of STEM.

All those math/physical science/life science grads who thought their degree was worth something because "I STEM therefor I smart.", only to realize that workforce almost puts them in the same category as a liberal arts grad.

lol
>>
>>7684087
> 56k
if you kill yourself, who will pay it?
>>
File: moneymoneymoneymoney.jpg (404 KB, 1844x2500) Image search: [Google]
moneymoneymoneymoney.jpg
404 KB, 1844x2500
This board is so fucking America-centric.

Yes, we get it, you're the land of the free where you need to pay for university education. Bravo.
>>
>takes advice from 4chan with no independent research on job market

i know it's too late now but seriously what the fuck did you THINK was going to happen, if you even thought at all

this is stupidity on par with muh 72 virgins
>>
>>7684099

Because you can easily get a codemonkey job with any engineering or science or math degree.
>>
>>7684087
Start learning how to code on your own, and you can get a job doing some codemonkey shit and probably move up later because you atleast have a degree in something.
>>
>>7684087
did you not do internships as an undergrad? is you GPA abysmally low? have you not networked? are you seriously this bad at finding work? have you considered out of state? have you literally searched at every position you can find?
>>
>>7684106
Are you this fucking dense? Can't you read
OP studied chemical ENGINEERING.

He's in the E from STEM and hei s struggling. Seriously, I sometimes think that engineers just twist reality to fit their fantasies.

>>7684111
>>7684106
>>7684099
He is chemical engineering. ChemE, along with MechE and EE are supposedly the holy trinity that never fails because of
>muh engineering
and
>muh legally defined profession

Also, your fault for being born in the US and then studying in the US when you know it was shit.

>mfw my university is very close to free
>mfw my university actually pays you money to study if you are at the higher end of the curve

USA, you fucked up. Americans, you fucked up.
>>
File: 3cc.jpg (70 KB, 655x606) Image search: [Google]
3cc.jpg
70 KB, 655x606
>>7684087

>yfw you were probably a below average student
>yfw you did everything last minute
>yfw you didnt do any internships or research
>yfw you put shit in, you get shit out

lesson learned. apply yourself.
>>
>studied physics
>graduated with 50k in student loans
>searched for a job for 6 months
>found a shitty job, worked there for a year while living at home
>found a much better job on the other side of the country
>moved there
>don't get cable because it's a waste
>make 6 figures
>found gf
>pay off my student loans to 0$
Life's good.
>>
>>7684138
...that was my point, idiot.

He's complaining because he took what STEMlords proclaim to be a surefire path and he's fucked, but that STEMlords even advise people to major in the impractical STEM majors because muh STEM, and to imagine how much MORE they're fucked by comparison.

....jesus this fucking place. You fuckers are ready to jump down the throats of strangers at a moment's notice even based on a misreading. This place has got to be bad for our mental health.
>>
>>7684142
B-but you are not even an engineer?
How come engineer guy is poor and science guy is rich?
Error 142
No make sense
Engineering program #469 executing
Talk about how much I love gay men.exe loading...
CANCEL
Engineering program #42 executing
Deny reality.exe loading...

Nice fucking meme you faggot! You are probably lying. Let me guess what your job is: MC DONALD'S CASHIER! Meanwhile I will be making 6... I mean 7 FIGURES in my entry level mech engineering job while you suffer in poverty!

I showed him right guys?
>>
File: 1401194922988.jpg (174 KB, 800x388) Image search: [Google]
1401194922988.jpg
174 KB, 800x388
>>7684087
6 months is nothing. My brother was a bio engineer. Took him 2 years to find a chemical engineering job.

Keep trying. try looking at more places abroad. If no results in 3 year, you have your helium.
>>
>>7684152
What the honest fuck is wrong with the economy in the west that this even happens? Taking 6 months or 2 years to find a job when we're supposedly not even in a recession is fucking horrifying. That really shouldn't happen unless the economy it's like within 6 months of a market crash.
>>
File: 1447569890472.jpg (102 KB, 704x968) Image search: [Google]
1447569890472.jpg
102 KB, 704x968
>tfw my dick is also cut
Let it end
>>
>>7684126
This. Also, what does your LinkedIn look like? Your resume? Do you personalize each cover letter specifying why you want to work at that company? How much research/prep do you do for interviews? Do you have an about.me to give employers some insight into who you are? Are you following them on twitter, facebook, and any other social media site they are?

Go for shit outside your major if you need work so badly. If you really studied Chem Eng just for the salary and job security, then you shouldn't care much that are aren't working in your field and tons of companies train you anyway if they think you're smart enough. If employers ask why you aren't pursuing your major you can spin it that you enjoyed the challenges the major presented but discovered you weren't keen on working in the industry itself. However, your major taught you technical problem solving abilities which will be useful in the this position because blah blah blah.

Check on angellist too and consider startup organizations who might be willing to give you a shot.
>>
Im in the same boat as you OP. Truth is, Chem eng is kind of regional. If you live in Texas or New Jersey, you're good - jobs are out there. I don't, so I'm screwed too.
>>
File: great.png (417 KB, 600x603) Image search: [Google]
great.png
417 KB, 600x603
>>7684087
lol you took actual life advice from 4chan.

4chan.

do you even realize how absolutely pathetic and retarded that actually is?
>>
>>7684198
Eh, desu in my experience a nontrivial percent of irl stem undergrads actually sound like the stemlords on this board (albeit toned down so as not to get punched in the nose). It's not just 4chan.
>>
>>7684087

>owning cable television

taking loans out is retarded, i balanced a part time job and part time undergrad degree in math with an emphasis in stats

took me an additional 2 years to get it but I graduated with no debt. it was hell but now i make 75k in my first year
>>
File: Delayclose.jpg (93 KB, 380x247) Image search: [Google]
Delayclose.jpg
93 KB, 380x247
>be fat high school dropout NEET
>enroll in community college
>take as many math and statistics courses as possible
>uses neurosis and extreme amount of free time (no social life) to make all as
>transfer to state school
>switch major to computer science
>continue to work hard
>lose weight
>get internship in stem field
>make a bunch of money
>gain confidence
>start lifting
>end up making friends with stem people
>have friends, social life, gf for first time in my life
>trying to decide whether i want to do graduate school or take one of the several job offers i have after graduation
>mfw i fell for the stem meme
>>
>>7684108
You need to pay for education everywhere retard. Not paying tuition does not mean it's free. You can easily get into debt in EU from rent alone.

Only real difference is Americans don't need to pay to for millions of muslims' to get 3+ worthless degrees too.
>>
>>7684087
>choosing between cable tv and internet

gee I wonder which is the obvious choice
>>
>>7684087
>TV
>>
>>7684140
You don't need to be above average in university to find a job. Being in university is already above average. And the average person does not live in poverty.

OP is just literally not applying to every job he can find.
>>
> 56k
Wait until you buy a house... that will seems like a picnic. I have probably the cheapest place in my entire city, about a third of a million in debt, and my interest payments alone are more than I used to make.

If it helps, at least you didn't go to grad school. Between that and the shittiness of the STEM job market, I went for almost a decade without internet or TV. It didn't hurt me at all.
>>
When all is said and done, there are only enough jobs in engineering for the top 50% of graduates.

I mean yes you are guaranteed to NOT get a job if you don't network and intern, however, doing those well doesn't mean you will magically get employment if you aren't an excellent candidate -no one likes stupid people in the end.

Advice on /sci/ is posted with the assumption that you at least in the top 10% nevermind top 50% of your year group.

I swear to god from now on I'm adding a disclaimer
>WARNING SEM IS EXTREMELY COMPETATIVE. GETTING A DEGREE DOES MEAN YOU WILL GET A RELEVANT JOB. ADVICE ONLY APPLIES TO INTELLIGENT AND WELL ROUNDED PEOPLE WHO CAN ACTUALLY SUCCEED IN SEM CAREERS.
>>
>>7684138
He's saying the prospects for the SM parts are even worse than E and he's perfectly right learn to read.
>>
>>7684138
American universities actually have better scholarships moron. You aren't special because your uni gave you a partial for getting an A.

Also if you have to take out a loan to study STEM you should reconsider because you probably aren't academically inclined enough to do well.
>>
>>>/pol/56841021
>>
>>7684266
You absolutely need to be above average when you graduate. Just look at the statistics, below average graduates don't get a degree relevant job. Bottom 20% you are almost garuanteed to work minimum wage.
>>
>>7684268
> DOES NOT*
Goddammit fucked up the disclaimer.
>>
File: N16gGaC.png (66 KB, 510x543) Image search: [Google]
N16gGaC.png
66 KB, 510x543
>student debt
did you dumbfucks go out of state?
>>
So now that we know that engineering majors are pure shit for job prospects, what should freshmen be looking at, instead?
>>
>>7684087
There were times growing up when we had to choose between bills and food. Guess which we tended to side with.

Stop whining. You fell for the "get in massive debt instead of choosing to do something you enjoy and making it work." You ignored expenses and expected it to just work out. You only have yourself to blame, and that's why you're feeling depressed.

I mean really
>ohmgee i have to choose between cable tv and internet!! I CAN ONLY HAVE ONE!
Who gives a shit about TV anyway. If you perceive that as valuable, that itself raises some questions.
>>
>>7684288
>degree relevant

We're talking about making enough that we can live comfortably and not have to choose between cable and internet.

You do not need to get a job using your degree directly. Some of the skills you earn will be useful anyways and not everyone likes the degree they get by the end.
>>
>>7684138
>your fault for being born in the US

Really? We got to pick where we were born? Was I out sick that day?
>>
>>7684148
This is probably one of the most autistic posts I've read on /sci/.

Lots of autistic posts here tonight, but this one takes the cake
>>
>>7684138
Sorry, I can't hear you very well over the sound of all those refugees you're paying to send to university, but it kinda sounded like
>HAHAHA! AN ENGINEER FINALLY FAILED! I KNEW THIS DAY WOULD COME!
>>
>>7684148
You obviously know next to nothing about how computers work.

>>7684162
Cocoa butter could improve the state of scar tissue, and reduce keratinization. Can be used as lube.
>>
>chemical engineering

Just go into the military and take the officer's exam. If what you said is true you should find some kind of decent work in there.
>>
>>7684087
>needing cable TV

Just join the military and become an officer.
>>
You likely could have found a way to reduce the overall cost. Currently in my last semester of CSE, got a good internship easily, getting a job shouldn't be too hard.
>>
>>7684161
Underemployment is high, doesn't matter what you get your degree in (besides medical), finding a job in your field is hard.

>>7684108
OP is Mexican.
He posted the same thread on /pol/
>>
File: 1423664372523.jpg (25 KB, 500x536) Image search: [Google]
1423664372523.jpg
25 KB, 500x536
>STEM
>not learning a trade
>>
Im studying compE, should i switch?money isnt a problem when i study, brother is paying me but iwilll have to find job soon
>>
>>7684355
>finding a job in your field is hard
Thank god for CS
>>
>>7684364
Could do what a friend of mine is planning, go to law school and become a patent lawyer for some drug company
>>
>>7684368
Disgusting little parasite.
>>
>>7684108

Yeah, who would have thought a site founded by an American hosted in America would be America-centric?
>>
>>7684369
Yeah, i didn't say i recommended it just that it was a possibility.
>>
>>7684087
>fell for STEM meme
What else would you study? Before college I was under the impression schooling was for science exclusive. I honestly didn't know there existed people who chose to study Communication or liberal Arts
>>
>>7684298
>what should freshmen be looking at, instead?
Prospects for all degrees except medicine are shit. Tertiary education is oversaturated as fuck, everyone and their mother has a degree.

If you don't want medicine do your research in trades for job security and high salaries.
>>
>>7684377
Why would there be those degrees if no one took them?

Not so bright even though you're in STEM eh?
>>
>>7684300
>There were times growing up when we had to choose between bills and food.
Poor people are retarded and have children when they aren't supposed to.

This is not relevant to the thread or news to anyone. The entire third world is just as retarded.
>>
>>7684384
My parents created me in a planned sense, in their mid-thirties. I don't know about my mother, but my father didn't believe it would fall apart. Typical case of two people with inadequate income and too high debt load ensues.

It is perfectly relevant. The OP got himself in debt and can barely net any kind of monthly profit. His complaints of not having cable tv reflect an idealized fantasy of "the life", and are trivial. This core attitude is at the heart of the thread, not the mess he feels he's gotten into. It is about desire.
>>
>>7684381
theyre for richfags who can afford to go to uni for things like "networking" "experience" and "learning"

the degree itself is just a waste of ink and paper
>>
similar to OP

>chem E senior with minor in applied math
>decent g.p,a and internship experience
>before oil crash, everyone in my job would have got 70k+ starting offers
>literally no one in my class has jobs lined up

The only thing I have going for me is the perception that my major is hard, and I had to beat a lot of retards to graduate with this degree. This may let me transition to other things, other careers perhaps...
>>
>>7684087

What college did you go to rack that much debt? Welcome to the real world, earn your boots.
>>
>>7684380
>no one will hire you without a degree
>get degree
>no one will hire you because you have no experience
>>
File: Untitled.png (3 KB, 186x67) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3 KB, 186x67
>be me
>27 years old
>went to community college at late-23
>next semester will be 4 years going to this community college because I had to start from the very bottom and pre-requisites kill me
>start at elementary algebra
>now at Differential Equations
>applied to Pomona, Long Beach, and SDSU
>could have at least gotten to a UC with my 3.5GPA
>decided not to due to higher tuition
>if I get accepted to a CSU
>pay pic related
>if I don't work while going to school then I get pic related accumulated for 2-3 years
>2 years: 12, 904 debt
>3 years: 19,356 debt
>can probably pay that off with a McDonalds job in less than 5 years if the computer engineering degree doesn't work out

mfw people get a bachelor's degree at a private school or at a top university where they rack up 50-100k in debt.
>>
>>7684401
It's not just about experience.

It's about the fact that every new job opening relevant to your degree has candidates with 3.8+ GPAs and 2 internships applying.

You need to be a GOOD graduate, just getting your degree doesn't mean shit because of how grade inflation made it so easy to pass.

Half the people in my graduating ChemE class work completely irrelevant jobs in IT or other office drone and a few are working minimum wage shit like barista etc. The shit candidates who went back to graduate school are even worse off now with more debt and less employability.

>PROTIP: Do NOT do grad-school unless you are a great researcher and already have reputable professors vouching for you before you graduate undergrad, you will be used as slave labour and then dumped while the 1 or 2 spots academia/industry spots are reserved for the professors' golden boy.

On the other hand the best graduates are in interesting process engineering or research jobs -most of these were jobs lined up BEFORE graduation.

This is at a top school.

People don't seem to realize just how competitive STEM is. Bless their innocence.
>>
>>7684390
TV and internet is as important to OP as you were to your parents. So stop trying to trivialize his needs by comparing apples and oranges.
>>
>>7684301
>We're talking about making enough that we can live comfortably and not have to choose between cable and internet.

Well young people don't earn that much unless they're talented, so you have unrealistic expectations.

>You do not need to get a job using your degree directly.
Yes, but the money making jobs you can get with a university education are medicine, law and engineering, of course in the latter two you won't necessarily get a relevant job unless you're good at it, but don't bitch on 4chan when you were stupid enough to get into debt because your dumbass boomer parents told you it would pay off.

The modern economy is competitive as fuck for young people and everyone should be aware of this. Only trades have high demand at the moment.

University is not needed for "making enough that we can live comfortably and not have to choose between cable and internet".

In fact it will probably be worse for you to miss out on 3-4 years of work experience to get a poor quality bachelors.

Much like /biz/, /sci/ has repeatedly said this and always recommended that academically weak people should start working or enter trades. It's not our fault when people think they're a special case and would get a STEM job after failing pre-calc and grinding for years.
>>
>>7684087
>can barely pay rent and have to choose between cable tv and internet

Even if you had no debt and was making 300k a year, you don't need cable tv. The internet is all you need.
>>
man I'm a computer engineer and I've had two work terms with a huge telecom company. I got into a masters, and might be working well for said company well I do it.

step up faggots, you gotta have people skills and make yourself heard. Managers remember people who love what they do.
>>
>>7684335
Chem corps is shit.

Underpaid and little room to progress unless you're planning on a full military career.
>>
>>7684417
Short love with a long divorce, and a couple of kids of course. They don't, mean, anything.

Not really true in my case though. OP is going to have to come to terms with that your framework of value can rarely remain static, it's relative and will change. Sometimes elements have to change. Sometimes they just oughta change. It's up to him to figure out how to make it, and coddling him and his whining about not having cable gets him nowhere. I suppose I am being kind of an asshole though since he seems like he's just trying to vent. I'm a bit trashed.
>>
>>7684381
>Why would there be those degrees if no one took them?
They aren't going to exist for much longer based on current trends.
>>
>>7684410
Your an idiot. The one's attending top universities are getting scholarships or having their parents pay for it they aren't racking up debt..

You have no business doing a degree for job prospects when you are this old, you are wasting your time and money and I can assure you that you will never find a job in CompE competing against 22 year olds for starting positions.
>>
>>7684438

Probably true. Oh well, I'm already this far in, so I might as well keep going. I wanted to be a computer engineer because I wanted to learn about the field. I already knew I wasn't a special snowflake. Oh well, I'll just pay off the debt through fast food jobs, retail, and any other type of job offer. Who knows, maybe after a couple of years I can get a very low end job where I can make 40+k a year.
>>
>>7684292
it is too late now anon you can't go back on your words you have to use it until you die.
>>
>>7684267
>buying a house in this economy
>indulging the propery jew
>>
>>7684453
The housing bubble is never going to crash. Boomers rely on it too much.

You will be shoving out most of your income on rent to fill some faggot's pockets who bought an apartment block for 110k for most of your life.
>>
>>7684457
Yeah but I have no debt, negro 8)
>>
>>7684138
>ChemE, along with MechE and EE are supposedly the holy trinity that never fails

thats assuming you can scratch above a 3.0 and get at least one internship.
>>
https://www.engineersedge.com/wwwboard/posts/15707.html#15739

See PPP's post.
>>
>>7684438

Not him, but you think I can get a business type job with an engineering degree?
>>
>>7684484
>2009
>>
>>7684087
>Being Mexican
>Getting in debt for college

If you already knew you were dumb why did you go into a private university, OP?

Fell for the Tec de Mty = mexican MIT meme?
>>
>>7684492
What do you mean by "business type job". If you're referring to white collar/mid management 30-50k shit then sure, but you can get those with any university degree.
>>
>>7684438
>The one's attending top universities are getting scholarships or having their parents pay for it they aren't racking up debt..

Not true. There's actually stupid people out there who go to top universities because they want the prestige. Scholarships only give you so much, and people still have to pay in their own pocket. Those people then take out student loans and they rack up 50+k just to get that degree.

Source: youtube.com/watch?v=_tV6L-wzfHY

>You have no business doing a degree for job prospects when you are this old, you are wasting your time and money and I can assure you that you will never find a job in CompE competing against 22 year olds for starting positions.

Why can't he? Engineering isn't a sport where you're done by 30. He's obviously not gonna get the top jobs, but he can easily get an entry level position and work his way up.

>>7684410
>>7684443
>I wanted to be a computer engineer because I wanted to learn about the field. I already knew I wasn't a special snowflake

This is good thinking. Do it because you want to learn. Take some internship positions after you transfer to the college of your choice. Try to get jobs that are relevant to your degree that way later on those jobs can fill up your resume. Try to be a good interviewer.
>>
>>7684484
>At 99.9% of companies there are only 3 types of engineers: Mechanical, Electrical and Computer Science. If you are not one of these 3, hiring managers will not know where to put you.
> Ask them how they got their first job. Ask them what they get paid (you'll be surprised how low it is).
>The market for MEs is pretty tough
> IT is not programming. You can have no arrogance in your skills; you will literally be less useful to any company than an undergraduate intern.
>Most if not all mechanical aerospace engineers come from Caltech/MIT/Stanford/PhD Overseas.
>Cold Hard Truth. Most of the IT people I have met are completely useless and would fail as engineers.

So much truth in one post.
>>
>>7684513
No, he actually can't get an entry level even if he's willing to work for literally nothing, the chances of getting an unpaid internship at his age in this economy is quite low (if you're not at a top school, only the top ~30% of students manage to score internships). Not to mention older people tend to struggle more academically. If you've been out of practice even trig. can give you trouble.

In addition people do assume you're a retard if you're older than 23 and applying to entry level. Either than or they assume you have no direction and fell for the engineering=money meme.

You will not get a relevant job if you aren't a near perfect student who graduated at the appropriate age. This isn't the fucking 70s. I wish boomertards would stop giving advice on the modern economy.
>>
>>7684161
>unless the economy it's like within 6 months of a market crash.
I have bad news for you..
>>
>>7684425

That's interesting I would have thought the military would at least offer their chem department decent pay and advancement, especially now.

Or is it that all the decent/good opportunities require clearances?
>>
>>7684371
I dont mind 4chan being american, but why does my country adopt its stupid traditions.
Wtf is a black friday. Ive never heard of this holiday but now all the shops are promoting it.
Does it have something to do with the liberation of black slaves?
>>
>>7684565

>Wtf is a black friday

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/blackfriday.asp

>Does it have something to do with the liberation of black slaves?

Nope, February deals with that or moreso black history.
>>
>>7684087
>have to choose between cable tv and internet
>2015
>cable tv

OP confirmed for retarded.
>>
>>7684371
> Yeah, who would have thought a site stolen from the japanese owned by the japanese would be America-centric?
:^)
>>
>>7684213
>>7684254
>>7684300
>>7684343
>>7684422
>>7684717
What is with this neckbeard obsession with using your computer for absolutely everything? Unless your setup is top of the line a computer does everything less well than machines dedicated to these tasks and sitting in front of the same machine every day is gonna break it and your back probably. I only use the internet for 4chan, wikipedia and occasionally youtube
>>
>>7684438
>Your an idiot

Get a brain moran
>>
>>7684735
>What is with this neckbeard obsession with using your computer for absolutely everything?
>Why do you use a general purpose computer for all your computing needs? Why not have a locked down shit specced computer for all the individual tasks you could do on one general computing device?
TVs are computers now btw.
>>
>>7684769
It's like Linux vs OSX, sure Linux is more open but OSX just werks. The cable just werks, no torrent searches, no buffering, no third party program installations
>>
>>7684735
Because there is little to nothing on television worth watching. Anything else that might float your boat--maybe you're blazed with your homies and want to watch something funny--you can torrent for free and easily hook up to your television with a single cord. Else, nearly any activity is better than television.
>>
>>7684735
Everybody in academia knows that information technology is THE shit.
I'm just a lowly IT-BBA in the making, and even I know that this is how you get things done fast. The time you spend going to a library, finding a book, reading it from first to last page while taking notes, is going to take you ten times more time than using the internet. E-books and e-libraries are a godsent when it comes to obtaining information and skills.

If you haven't got used to doing everything online, it's a good time to do so. In a good 10-20 years most of the traditional services are going to be reduced to nothing, or become extremely automatic. Something like libraries or banks are ineffective in today's world standards and this will drive them to become almost completely virtual. It's really important to get on this train while it's still possible. You remember some ten years "those" people? You know, the ones on their 30s - 50s who couldn't get on the google on their own, and thought that Firefox is a virus? That's you in 20 years unless you stick with the times. You might know your trade and be superior in it, but the people who use the new technology are going to beat you to a pulp.
>>
>>7684099
>I don't get this board.
It doesn't help that the mods prune any threads asking directly for careers advice.
>>
>>7684796
>find a torrent
>wait for download
vs
>press one fucking button on your remote
And then there's filling out your hard drive with bullshit
And there's plenty of stuff you're just desensitized by 4chan. I feel that way sometimes. I've gone from watching nature programmes on TV to arguing with neckbeards on /sci/. I think TV was better for my sanity.
>>
>>7684811
>you will never need to leave your basement in the future.
Yeah no. That got predicted so many times the fact of the matter is people prefer the human contact. Sure services will be cut down but it will never disappear completely. Ticket offices get closed but there are still 1 or 2 guys around to help.

The library will always be better than the internet, Internet is quick reference, most of the information isn't reliable. When I do projects I always use the library as well as the internet. Ditching the old way just because is autism. You can use both you know. It's like I tell /v/ until I'm blue in the face that instead of being a fucking fanboy you can be a normal human being and use both console and PC like I have been doing for years.
>>
>>7684830

That's a good thing. You shouldn't come to /sci/ for career advice. Some people do know what they're talking about but they are by far the minority. And half the board would be "how do I job help pl0x".

I also find it hard to believe that the situation for an Engineering major is, on average, much worse than the situation for the average major for other non-STEM subjects. And if you can't get by with a degree like that you sure as shit couldn't get by without a degree of any kind. So the conclusion is that it was probably the right move.
>>
>>7684834
That comparison isn't the full picture.

You don't just press a button on your remote. You channel surf. You watch commercials. You skip around aimlessly until you find something.

With a computer, regardless of where you're getting the content, you're inherently operating in a specific and targeted sense. You know what you're looking for. You know what shows you're following. You know what you're downloading. It's little different than people setting their DVR to record certain shows and watching it later. The only problem is quality. No amount of high precision colorspace conversion, scaling algorithm quality relative to your source, post processing, etc, will fix up some garbage re-encode someone shat out. Proper captures or encodes are quite large, no one will seed them for long. The internet rarely has reruns without outside stimulation.

Still. If I watch anything it tends to be via a computer. The only problem then becomes discovery of things to watch.

>I think TV was better for my sanity.
No. It absolutely isn't, as far as I'm concerned. After around 5 years of not watching television, going back to watch the shit on TV, along with the commercials. Those goddamn, twisted ass obnoxious commercials. That's what fucks people up. And you have to pay to have access to advertisements with a little bit of content in between.
>>
>>7684099
But there actually is a high demand for engineers. At least where I live (a third world shithole).
>>
>>7684843
>"reeee ads!"
Yup it's like talking to /g/. Ads have never bothered me and anyway internet ads are worse, your fucking YT vid stops every 2 minutes whereas with TV it's usually 15 minutes. Go get snacks, take a piss.
>The only problem then becomes discovery of things to watch.
Yes this, TV is scheduled and arranged for you. Computer you have to think about it and find it for yourself. Last week I watched a programme on Hitler's meth usage. I'd have never thought to look for that on torrent because I didn't know about it or care for Hitler but by flicking channels I ran into it and happened to enjoy it. Nothing wrong with either method, each to their own.
>>
File: 8MUl6.jpg (363 KB, 1980x1407) Image search: [Google]
8MUl6.jpg
363 KB, 1980x1407
>>7684108
>tfw studied in Europe (France+Germany)
>tfw I have a 30k€ of positive balance in my account because of middle-class parents who were able to save.
>tfw I could already buy an estate with a small loan when starting my PhD.
>tfw the PhD is about the optical system of the E-ELT, the largest telescope ever built.

This continent is truly god's chosen land.
>>
>>7684861
>Ads have never bothered me
Then you've never been without them.

> internet ads are worse, your fucking YT vid stops every 2 minutes
That doesn't happen.

>whereas with TV it's usually 15 minutes.
I see you learned your stuff back in the late 90's, or 00's? That's how it's done, change so gradual that you'll eventually accept almost anything. I timed it recently (the 13.5-15 minute thing was in my head too), and most stations are actually more like ~4-5 minutes of commercials for every ten minutes of show. Especially for movies, it's ridiculous. A 23 minute show used to fit into one 30 minute block. No longer, and the way content is produced has changed with it. ie, they'll shoot for 40 +/-3 something minutes per episode and put into a 1 hour block.

It's not something I'm willing to tolerate. As long as so many people keep paying outrageous amounts for cable or satellite, it's going to keep getting worse.

>Computer you have to think about it and find it for yourself.
Yeah, discovery is a problem. I'm rarely anywhere where I catch something by chance either. Yesterday at thanksgiving I saw some show where an "international assassin" is in some strange other world. He's going to throw a girl in a well. He knows this. She knows this. Just goes along with it. It gets sort of surreal and I don't even remember what it was called, even though it'd be easy to look up.

>Nothing wrong with either method, each to their own.
I suppose. They each have their aspects. TV is definitely a much... wider window. With many more angles to tune it to, despite itself being more limited.
>>
>>7684087
That tells us absolutely nothing. Maybe you are an idiot who graduated with a low GPA?
Tell us the whole story, at least.
>>
>>7684087
>tuition debt
Lel, must suck living in a developing country
>>
>>7684117
You can get a codemonkey job even without a degree.

>>7684830
It does help actually.
>>
>>7684384
>Unforseen problems never happen. Ever.
>>
>>7684564
Pay in the military is based on two things: your rank, and your time in service. But, if you have a degree already and are in debt, the military will help you eliminate that debt, and 4 to 6 years of military service with an honorable discharge looks good on a resume.
>>
File: are you for reals.jpg (123 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
are you for reals.jpg
123 KB, 900x900
>>>/lit/7395511
>>
>>7684834
>I'm going to an hero because I have to wait 20 minutes to watch a movie instead of getting it instantly
>>
Check this
>>>/b/654173024
>>
>>7684836
>Your shit-tier small town library with no books on mathematics beyond basic calculus is still better than the internet.

Don't get me wrong, I love a large, well stocked, well funded library, but these only exist in metropolitan areas. Not everyone lives in or near a metropolitan area.
>>
>>7684861
>internet ads are worse, your fucking YT vid stops every 2 minutes
How is one such a mouth breathing knuckle dragging retard that they can't use a fucking ad blocker?
>>
>b-but you guys, muh shitty reality!!
Op you really oughta fucking hang
>>
>>7684087
If you choose cable TV you are confirmed for pleb. I hadn't watched it in years until recently (stayed in a motel for a couple weeks). Even the channels that used to play documentaries are now spewing reality TV garbage.
>>
>>7684928
Have you looked into inter-library loans? Upon request, a large centre will send its books to libraries in nearby smaller areas. Typically doesn't cost you anything.
>>
>pressured
>by /sci/
>taking any of the shitposting here seriously
>>
>>7684087
>>7684840
Fuck it, might as well post my opinion on my opinion of the careers prospects for maths students. For context, I'm a first year on a 4 year maths integrated masters course at a Russell Group uni (UK).

"IT work is a always possibility, but fuck that. I imagine anyone who knows what 4Chan is knows enough about computers to understand why IT work is shit.
Engineering for maths graduates is a myth, I can provide proof upon request, but to make a long story short - YOU CANNOT get into engineering without an engineering degree, so maths students can only get into it by doing a masters in engineering but as someone who wants to do a masters in maths, I can quite confidently say that I don't want to pay those tuition fees, only to go on to compete with people who've done engineering for 3 more years than I have.
General finance (assurance, audit, consulting, tax, etc) - I'd opt for avoiding it like the plague. If you go to any above average uni, you'll see the Big 4 advertising heavily, to the point where they're often voted the best graduate recruiters. It turns out that they're accepting applications from ANY FUCKING DEGREE. Let that sink in for a moment, it'd be hard for you to compete with people with finance degrees, but now you're having to compete basically everyone. Good fucking luck with that. To make matters worse, their intern turnover rates are over 90% and getting the internship is just as impossible as getting the job. So basically, I'm saying that mainstream finance borders on impossible. It might look like I've only attacked the Big 4, but it's worth remembering that the Big 4 advertise so heavily that finance will be on most people's mind.
Teaching (below college level) - fuck no, why would I want to teach people who don't even want to be there? The pay's shit as well and you've got barely any chance of moving up/getting promoted.

cont
>>
File: PhD problem.jpg (933 KB, 625x3217) Image search: [Google]
PhD problem.jpg
933 KB, 625x3217
>>7685030
Teaching (at, or above college level) - that's a good backup plan, for obvious reasons, but I've heard that a lot of teachers end up spending more time doing admin and planning shit than actually teaching.
PhD, and then go into research - my current plan, but /sci/ will tell you all about the problems pic related, although I'd still like to learn more.
Obscure parts of finance (e.g. actuarial work, insurance shit, analytical work) - that's my main backup plan, I'm looking to learn more, at least I'll only be competing with STEM graduates. What are the good non-mainstream finance jobs anyway?
Statistical work - shit... I need to look more into this, any pointers?
Banking (mostly investment): Long story short, go watch a documentary - the whole sector is corrupt as fuck and it's extremely competitive anyway, while being insanely stressful and long hours. Ask /biz/ for more info, but I'd serious recommend just going and watching a documentary on Enron, Bernie Maddoff or the global financial crisis. Investment banking is corrupt as fuck, and more client-facing stuff and other roles in banking just seem shit tier.
>>
>>7685014
I have, but I apparently live in one of the few remaining library systems that doesn't include a metro area. If it doesn't have to do directly with farming, basic automotive repair, or high school-level academics, chances are slim you'll find what you need. I can't wait to get away from this shit hole.
>>
>>7684836
>Double the work, double the fun - Asperger's syndrome

What you're basically saying is that story songs, stone walls with inscription, scrolls with writing, or leather page books shall continue to exist in the future: yeah, sure they may. Especially the old works. But the new works aren't going to be released on these so called "dead" platforms, unless they're of great cultural value - or they'd need to survive some sort of apocalypse. And that is exactly what will happen with current books; this platform will die out.

This isn't about preference. It's a fact, and it's evidence is the history of information.
But because the development of technology is escalating it would be efficient from professional point of view to adapt. And if you do not adapt, then those who adapt shall be more efficient than you. Like it or not.
>>
And your other options OP? Fucking Art History, or Business? You think any other degree is a straight path to a job? The fact of the matter is that STEM degrees are simply the """"most""""" marketable right now, which is a relative statement, and just a reflection of the sad state of degree worth.

Regardless, you must simply be a shitty chemical engineer.
>>
>>7684245
No, you dont need to pay for education everywhere. The scandinavian countries are free, and most central eu countries are fairly cheap too, except the UK... Norway and Iceland dont even charge international students... Dont know about iceland, but Norway has some pretty good universities, especially in STEM fields that works with oil/gas.
>>
>>7684956
>bloat
>>7684928
I live in London m'nigga, Get out of Missouri.
Also this >>7685014
>>7685038
Oh right, oh well that's what you get for living in the land of freedom.
>>7685051
Obsoletion actually is more of a problem for electronic tech. NASA has problems retrieving data from their old space programmes because it's on weird 70's magnetic tape. How is archiving information only digitally going to work when file formats and readers change every 5 minutes? A book will always work.
>>7685059
>It's always the individual's fault
Why do people automatically assume this? Sometimes the economy really is shit
>STEM is the only degree worth doing
Lol
>>
>>7685033
>4 in 5 adjuncts making less than 20K yearly
lol-fucking-wut

http://www.salarylist.com/jobs/Adjunct-Faculty-Salary.htm
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Adjunct_Professor/Salary
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/adjunct-instructor-salary-SRCH_KO0,18.htm

Is anything presented in the longass-cartoon-infographic format ever not bullshit?
>>
>>7684148
Goddamn, how the fuck could someone be so autistic?
>>
>>7684087

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm

Stop whining you stupid little bitchwad. Ditch all your material possessions, travel to where the jobs are, live like a monk for 4 years, save money and pay off your debts, and learn to live like a responsible adult.
>>
>>7684869
More like Allah newly chosen land.
>>
File: 17907.jpg (401 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
17907.jpg
401 KB, 2560x1536
>>7684148
Pic related
>>7684161
Fuck here on brazil even the jobs with a higher demand are taking well over a year for someone to find a job. Even worse, the payment is ridiculously low.
>>
>>7685128
>Get out of Missouri

Close enough.
>>
File: 1448440927824.png (524 KB, 465x629) Image search: [Google]
1448440927824.png
524 KB, 465x629
>>7684357
>Not learning both
>>
>>7685142
>Is anything presented in the longass-cartoon-infographic format ever not bullshit?
I often find that's the case.
>>
>>7684779
>buffering
>2015

hows ur slow internet treating u senpai?
>>
>>7684525
I see a lot of information spouting in this thread without any link to any studies to back all of this up.
>>
>>7685128
Well for one thing I got a friend in UC Berkeley doing ChemE and he says none of this mates have trouble getting jobs or internships.

His situation is different since he's an international, but unless you don't have a green card then you don't really have an excuse for not being able to get a job.

He said the jobs are very dependent on locality though. Basically, Texas.

>STEM is the only degree worth doing

He's right, you know.
>>
>Be Dutch
>Technical Univ. is the second most deliverer of CEO's
>Nr 1 is the Business univ.

Engineers are wanted by everyone. You can do a switching programme to some low-tier economics programme if necessary
>>
>>7684836
One or two instead of the five to then that were needed before.

High demand in jobs is "seasonal", when you are deciding which career path you should take, you need to consider which ones will be in high demand in four to ten years.

Whenever a career is already in high demand it's almost always too late for you to GET into that field before that area is gets on the down path.
>>
>>7684836
You can find most of modern books on the internet and there is also a digitalization project for large libraries already on the works.
>>
>>7684148
this post, while autistic, is pretty funny goob job scibubby
>>
>>7684087
Accounting will get you a job real easy but you'll want to kill yourself for it. Use your education to invent shit. If you can't do this you don't really deserve a good job.
>>
>>7684834
Watching a retarded agenda shitted out by the owner of the company isn't good for your sanity, no.
>>
>>7684861
>"Computer you have to think about it and find it for yourself"
>"I don't want to think"
Jesus Christ, if you are OP then no wonder why you haven't found a good job.
>>
>>7685223
Sorry, we assumed that you knew how to use google, since you're on an imb
>>
>>7685270
What world do you live in? STEM jobs are Office Space irl in all but the specific subject matter.

Jobs in general are boring af. I don't know why STEM people are so uncritically and unreflectively obsessed over them.
>>
File: 1437173252654.png (296 KB, 614x847) Image search: [Google]
1437173252654.png
296 KB, 614x847
>>7685285
This. Working sucks, and people would kill for my STEM job.
>>
File: 1448301048506.jpg (38 KB, 337x322) Image search: [Google]
1448301048506.jpg
38 KB, 337x322
>>7685282
>"sorry we wanted to start a shiposting war by saying a lot of things without providing any source"
>>
>He fell for the STEM MEME
AHAHHAHAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. In the US job projection rates for the next ten years are going to be below average. The economy is going to grow faster than engineering jobs. This means we're entering the long dreaded bust cycle everyone has been talking about in board rooms for years. Millennials were born in the wrong era.
>>
>>7685292
>>7685285
>Where is my TPS report, Rajesh Ghasrdirhfiheifjhksnmcidwhfijewfhnikkmdcnk?
>Thank you
>Here is more documentation and I need that TPS report by tomorrow
>Can you work overtime tonight?
>Yes
>That will be greatttttt
>Boss walks away
>Why did I major in Engineering?
>My liberal arts friends are enjoying life and fucking women
STEM jobs fucking suck. Hollywood has romanticized STEM jobs as cool and always working on some new cool project. In reality you're writing lab reports, TPS, and most importantly if you're in STM; grant proposals. Which fucking take all goddamn day. I understand why some of my friends became lawyers, MBAs, or just open a small business. Being an engineer fucking blows donkey cock.
>>
>>7685285
Like I said, if you can't invent something yourself you don't deserve the good jobs in stem.
>>
>>7685339
>I understand why some of my friends became lawyers, MBAs, or just open a small business.
Huh? Their jobs are more of the same shit tho. Except they often have to work quite a bit more than the average engineer because of the work culture/competition in some of those businesses (lawyers literally almost work every moment of the day doing boring paperwork, for instance - they could get replaced in half a second if they don't make their billable hours, too).

It's just work in general. It sucks. All of it.

OP was whinging about the STEM meme but the only part about the STEM meme that's actually baffling is that the people who believe it have been convinced that their job has some grand existential value because the thing they studied in college was interesting or because technology is useful. It's just protestant work fetishism with a thin veneer of nerdiness to protect it.
>>
>>7685360
>implying the vast majority of significant "invent(ions)" aren't a result of massive bureaucracy-bound efforts that will reduce your individual contribution to something unremarkable unless you are so senior that you barely touch the work anyway.
>>
>>7685362
As hilter said bluntly. WORK WILL SET YOU FREE!!!!
>>
>>7685339
>liberal arts
>getting a job
Pick one.
>>
>>7684357
i did learn a trade and earned ok money, then i got bored of it and now im going for STEM, debt be damned I don't give a fuck. Eventually you realize that you have to be in debt in America to have anything nice unless you're a millionaire.
>>
>>7684099

There is huge demand for engineers everywhere dude.
>>
>>7685472
so what happens if you get bored of STEM?

kill yourself?
>>
>>7685483
>There is huge demand for engineers everywhere dude.
Citation needed.
>>
Ayy lmao. I got a traditional B.S. in Mathematics from a pretty average university. In the 4 years, I only spent about 5k and the rest of my tuition was covered by two scholarships, both given by private organizations since I'm a foreign student and don't apply for Fafsa.

I'm now working in predicting stock changes, by pretty much doing fuckall on matlab and excel, all while earning ~80k per year on only my second year.

didn't do anything through my 4 years in college but go to class and earn good grades, never bothered joining any clubs or even visiting my professors during office hours. I guess I got lucky since one of my sponsors for my scholarship was a math major himself and hooked me up with a job. Anyways, feels good guys, don't give up yet!!
>>
>>7685339
>Hollywood has romanticized STEM jobs as cool and always working on some new cool project. In reality you're writing lab reports, TPS, and most importantly if you're in STM; grant proposals
So much this.
>>
>>7685537
>predicting stock changes
You cannot know more than the market though desu senpai
>>
>>7685240
Nijenrode is number 1?
>>
>>7685566
I'm not that guy but

>not knowing that a mathematician became a billionaire by creating formulas and algorithms that literally predict every single change in the market.
>>
>>7685557
You don't always do research. You research how to write reports, play politics, and how to get more money for your department or lab. Fucking bureaucracy. China doesn't have this fucking problem. I've seen their labs. They are the future. No bureaucracy. Well its small. But the money flows in and they expect results.
>>
File: 1441309737349.jpg (305 KB, 1732x966) Image search: [Google]
1441309737349.jpg
305 KB, 1732x966
>b-b-but sci t-told me civil is s-shit tier ;_;
>>
>>7685600
Never trust /sci/.

It is good to see that those who advertise their Mech/Electrical/Chemical Engineering degrees as the best degrees are actually just butthurt, jobless fags.
>>
>>7684525
i had two internships under my belt by the time I finished CC, and so did I good chunk of my peers, you fucking retarded undergrad. it was ridiculously fucking easy to get both of them, and I managed to get two more by the time I finished uni, leaving me with a comfy SE position.

jesus christ, why do people listen to the kids, here
>>
>>7685632
civil engineering has the lowest pay but that's only in the US. The US rarely fixes their goddamn infrastructure. Obama changed that and the next ten years will see a lot of federal money go into the infrastructure. This will increase their pay and civil engineering requires P.Eng accreditation for jobs.
>>
>>7685665
Here in Australia civil engineering is one of the highest paid and most jobs, so in a sense its the most secure of the main branches of engineering.
>>
>>7685528
Mathematics
>>
Choose internet over TV op.

Reducing stress brought about by this is easy. Firstly, remove all detrimentally affective stimuli from one's surroundings. This includes sounds not good for you (anything beyond 100 beats per minute, Hz not good for a person's brain I'm unaware of.), mal-neurologically-affective diets (foods high in glucoses, foods low in key nutrients such as Vitamin A, The B's (I believe B12's the 'best?') Vitamin C, milk's pretty bad for you, finding another way to get Vitamin D may not be entirely easy :( , theamine's really good, the effects of Vitamin E've been 'confounding?,' basically rid the trashy foods.)

Music such as Baroque era and some Classical era (Mozart, specifically) has been shown to improve cognition in some way. It's been personally helpful in calming my own mind. :')

The actual practice of Transcendental Meditation is like 'Repeat the syllable "Om," or the (seed) syllable "Ram," or the (seed) syllable "Lam," aloud for 2-5 minutes, then repeat it silently for 10 minutes, then allow the mind to simply observe its natural repetition of the syllable' in TM one would be chosen/prescribed for you, but in this personal recountance I'm saying it's perfectly alright for one to choose.

Classical/Baroque music ftw. Have a pleasant
>>
>>7684845
what third world shit hole? I've heard some third world shit holes will pay western educated engineers very well.
>>
>>7684117
You can get a code monkey job with a highschool degree. Whether or not you keep that job and how much you get paid depends entirely on just how good you are at codemonkeying, and understanding computational principles helps with that.
Case in point, I had a professor who was a systems analyst with just a high school degree. He went back to school because, even though he could probably outperform all of the applicants, he was denied just because they had that slip of paper and he didn't.

Computer science is just another applied math major, honestly, and it's a real fun application.
>>
>>7685665

The pay is decent (52k starting). Definitely starts lower than other engineers. but the earning potential is high. Transitioning into project management/partner roles net you larger portions of a company's profit.

Consulting is really not what I want to do with my career so I'm either going to go to gradschool (PhD in environmental engineering/computational hydrodynamics and modeling) or become a codemonkey. I've been teaching myself Javascript and algorithms/data structures for a few months now.

The work is sometimes interesting, but I'm not a fan of long billable hours and the consulting work culture.
>>
>>7685796
>consulting work culture.
Hmm... how would you describe that culture?
>>
cut the head off, and what you have left is a s.t.e.m.

blow off those student loans bro
i wouldn't give them a dime
>>
>>7684371
Hiroshima is Japanese and probably lived in Japan when he made this site, so it's not American you retard. You probably think because people here are speaking "American" that this is an American site. It's not.
>>
Does anyone know any good websites to find internships? I'm going to a community college so we don't exactly have extensive connections. I already know about indeed.com.
>>
>>7685812
>borrow money from someone
>don't give it back

Don't be a scum
>>
Honestly I'm not sure what the hell you frogposters are doing wrong, if this wasn't what you wanted to study then why did you choose it and if it was what you wanted to study why didn't you git gud? I'm at a third tier university that /sci/ would scoff at and yet I'm not paying a dime for school and I'm certainly not experiencing any kind of job shortage.

>>7685844
Meet people and talk to them in person and ask them for a job, don't hide behind a keyboard. Do you know anyone who works somewhere you would like to work? Does your mom know anyone who does? Talk to them about what they do and tell them you're interested and ask them to recommend you. Walk into your professor's office and chat him up a bit and ask if he could put you in touch with any friends he has in industry. Ask if they have a professor friend at a university who could hire you to do some research. Go to your school's job fair. If you try to do shit online your resume is just going to be scanned for keywords by an algorithm and then thrown in the trash along with the other thousand nameless faceless resumes that get sent in.
>>
>>7685848
student loans aren't like borrowing money from someone.
student loans are where a bank takes money out of one pocket and puts it in their other pocket. they didn't give you the money.
no money ever changed hands at all

this year more than 5 million people quit paying their student loans and I don't blame them.
the were duped to begin with.

read other people's blogs "why i quit paying my student loans" for more info.
>>
>>7685803

Long stressful hours, office space, and baby boomers
>>
>>7685330
They told me boomers would be retiring and that there would be a massive labor shortage. Funny how that turned out to be. Some people are still saying this with a straight face.
>>
>>7685858
That's the most retarded fucking thing I've ever heard in my life, and you should be ashamed.
You borrowed money, where money is some form of wealth. Your classes were not free, your books were not free, and your dorm was not free(assuming you used one).

Also, those blogs are well and good, but unlike other forms of debt, you can't actually escape them. The issue is that the same banking system that did that money transfer in the first place is also the one that has direct access to your money.
>>
File: 1445299439799.jpg (551 KB, 820x1250) Image search: [Google]
1445299439799.jpg
551 KB, 820x1250
Mfw trying to choose a major
>>
>>7685868
They are retiring and many of them are happy to teach fresh college interns and graduates so that they can be good replacements when they're gone. There's a shortage of good workers, there's no shortage of entitled butthurt frogposters complaining on the internet about a shortage.
>>
>>7685878
>happy to teach fresh college interns and graduates so that they can be good replacements when they're gone

This is what some people actually believe
>>
>>7685870
That's not your face when.
>>
>>7685869
>You borrowed money... and you should be ashamed.

Did you quote the wrong post or something?
I've never borrowed a nickel from anyone.
>>
>>7685796
>consulting
Oh boy I hate that field. Lonely, long hours, and shitty work. Not even the big 3 consulting companies can sway me to work as a consultant. Project manager after being an engineer should be your next goal. The next 10-15 years; Mech E and Civil will be the best engineering majors to get jobs. EE, Chem, Nuke etc are all going to be downsized. Civil is actually the one filled with normies as well. Not as autistic as EE or Nuke. I'll go back and major in Civil engineering. Major cities need an entire generation worth of engineer to fill their ranks. Boomers are too old to keep going. Also Civil can work in nuclear plants, space sector etc. You can sit in any of the P.Eng exams with just a BS or B.Eng in any engineering disciplinary in the US.
>>7685688
Other developed countries have civil engineering as one of the best paying jobs. The US just lags behind as I'm sure you're aware of the state of hte US infrastructure.
>>
File: 1447515794869.jpg (18 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1447515794869.jpg
18 KB, 403x403
At least you are an Engineer.
I fell for the Physics meme
>>
>>7685939
In recent years Physics majors are outpacing engineeirng salaries. I believe they're now the highest paying major. I believe data science is pushing the salaries. Finding a job as a data analyst. There is a reason why engineering majors can't get jobs in data science. They've never developed models or coded with statistics.
>>
>>7684148
Loling my ass off. Great work man.
>>
>>7684300
You're aware that you're responding to a troll post, right?
>>
>>7685947
But I wanted to work in physics. I'm just going to have to sacrifice, pay isn't the real issue here
>>
>>7684142
Physics undergrad here, what kind of job did you get when you moved?
>>
>>7684099
>Shit on CS majors

>get an EE degree
>can get a job in engineering and programming
>get a CS degree
>can get a job in programming

why would you pay more money for less job opportunity? EE gives you more bang for your buck if you're willing to do the work.
>>
>>7684087
>>56k in tuition debt
Not bad.
>>
File: 1448608460196.png (124 KB, 5000x2571) Image search: [Google]
1448608460196.png
124 KB, 5000x2571
>>7684148
>>
>>7684087
>Choosing objectively worst STEM field.
You brought this on yourself this.
>>
>>7684087
I hope that people studying STEM for money never get a job, I know it's just a stupid dream because 99% people, at least, in STEM are in it for money or similar reason but still a man can dream.
>>
>>7684148
kek
>>
>>7686026
They end up in finance or insurance. The passionate ones grind it out for the first five years. The first five years after graduation is your apprenticeship for engineering. Most level in this time because muh boring job make me do CAD reviews or circuit reviews. I want to design a dildo engine. Most STEM kids today are impatient.
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 176x220) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 176x220
>>7686026
You're a fucking jackass. There is no other reason to study STEM other than money. I don't know what communist, Eurotrash country you live in, but people need to obtain in demand skills to survive. What else should I do? Study art and starve? Society would collapse if it were up to retards lie you.
>>
>>7686059
This is how you spot a /pol/tard with no education in STEM. Inb4 I iz Injeer wiz 120k jerb.
>>
>>7686063
>I'll call him a /pol/tard XD
I'm an engineering student jackass. And you can't argue anything I say so you just strawman like the twat you are. Do me a favor and starve to death while wanking with your academic butt buddies.
>>
>>7686069
ARE YOU AN GAY
>>
>>7686026
>I've never had to work a day in my life because I'm a little shit who can't understand the value of money
>>
>>7686084
>>7686069
>>7686059
An American businessman was standing at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

"How long did it take you to catch them?" the American asked.

"Only a little while" the Mexican replied.

"Why don't you stay out longer and catch more fish?" the American then asked.

"I have enough to support my family's immediate needs" the Mexican said.

"But" the American then asked, "What do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said: "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life, senor.

The American scoffed: I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you could buy a bigger boat and, with the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats. Eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman, you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own can factory. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.

The Mexican fisherman asked: But senor, how long will this all take?

To which the American replied: 15-20 years.

But what then, senor?

The American laughed and said: "That's the best part. When the time is right, you would announce an IPO - an Initial Public Offering - and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions."

Millions, senor? Then what?

TBC.

This is titled /sci/biz/ BTFO.
>>
>>7685740
Brazil. We're in a bit of crisis now, but engineers are still doing better than most professions.
>>
>>7686095
The American said slowly: Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.
>>
>>7685339
TPS?
>>
>>7685934
>Other developed countries have civil engineering as one of the best paying jobs. The US just lags behind as I'm sure you're aware of the state of hte US infrastructure.
Lel, third world countries man.
>>
>>7685737
>Music such as Baroque era and some Classical era (Mozart, specifically) has been shown to improve cognition in some way.
Fuck off you gullible retard.
>>
File: 1448207302569.gif (2 MB, 370x319) Image search: [Google]
1448207302569.gif
2 MB, 370x319
>>7684148
maximus kek (mech engineer student here).
>>
File: derp.png (203 KB, 450x436) Image search: [Google]
derp.png
203 KB, 450x436
>>7684730

moot was japanese?
>>
>>7684245
uuh nope. scotland gets free uni tuition for native residents
>>
>>7684087
>chemical engineering
>tuition debt
>can barely pay rent
what did you expect
>>
>>7686059
>There is no other reason to study STEM other than money

Yeah, getting up to £27k + grad studies in debt for a physics degree that earns you what a plumber would make sure is the embodiment of money-hoarding judaism.

>>7686095
>Mexican gets sick and can't pay for treatment
>Mexican wants to change his life in any way but can't
>Mexican's children are constrained by their father's choices

Goddamn hippie, are you that butthurt that other people might actually get a degree and a well-paying job?
>>
File: HRmQ9FT.jpg (89 KB, 644x781) Image search: [Google]
HRmQ9FT.jpg
89 KB, 644x781
>>7686602
The life of a physics graduate is a struggle.
>>
File: Boat.png (69 KB, 444x653) Image search: [Google]
Boat.png
69 KB, 444x653
>>7686604
Try maths grad.
>>7685030
>>7685033
>>
>>7686663
Shit sucks man, I'm hoping by the time I graduate the skilled jobs market has picked up a little
>>
File: 1427616672829-0.jpg (84 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1427616672829-0.jpg
84 KB, 600x600
>currently studying biomed
>debt through the roof
>pay is shit but the work is fun
>mfw already have job offer
Could have been worse
>>
>>7684140
This is oddly motivational
>>
STEM uprising when?
>>
>>7686811
It's not odd. It's motivation because it suggests that you could have succeeded if you had applied yourself. It's motivational because it implies you had control and basically chose to fail.

It also implies that the difference between the people who succeed and those who don't is whether they did or did not apply themselves. (Hint: that should be the red flag which shows you how cartoonishly black and white that conception of human behavior actually is. The reason people do things is far more complex than "try harder loser. I tried and just look at this Lamborghini i have tailopez.jpg". The only thing you actually learn from failure is that you failed.)
>>
>>7685848

>paying money to bankers and jews.

good goy
>>
>>7684087
>>can barely pay rent and have to choose between cable tv and internet

Is this even a choice? Who the fuck watches TV anymore? It's all garbage. At least with internet it's only mostly garbage. Besides anything you can watch on TV you can find online.
>>
File: 1447213731575.jpg (539 KB, 1200x1149) Image search: [Google]
1447213731575.jpg
539 KB, 1200x1149
>>7686059
>There is no other reason to study STEM other than money

What about because its easy and fun?
>>
>>7686930
>easy and fun
What about all of those 200 word essays you have to write in between shitposting?
>>
>>7686059
>There is no other reason to study STEM other than money.

engineering isn't just about money, its about being apart of a guild thats thousands of years old and having your signature carry the weight of law. tradesmen make more money than the average STEM graduate, but nobody wants to be an uneducated working class schmuck. there are social benefits to STEM that can't be bought.
>>
>>7686940
>tradesmen make more money than the average STEM graduate,
SHHHHHHHHHH. Don't tell him. It will break his heart.
>>
>>7687022
i was a tradesman. its great money for sure, but theres a level of respect and comfort you have to give up.

engineers get to poop in a real toilet and stay comfy and dry all day, and it doesn't matter how much experience you have or how good you are at your job, the engineers word will always be taken over yours because he's the engineer.

i'm probably going to hang up my shingle as soon as i get a PE. working for myself as a tradesman was considerably more difficult to get into, especially with all the union rigmarole.
>>
>>7686930
>easy
I like it because it's challenging
>fun
I agree but the stuff surrounding it isn't, lab reports and exams and what not
>>
>>7686936
>200 word essays
>not being trivial
>>
>>7687033
What kind of trade? Also these days young men won't do trades. I odn't mind being outside and getting dirty. Tradesmen live longer than most white collar professionals. Unions are a bitch because they have strict entry guidelines for newbies. Engineering is not perfect. Their job is dependent on the project. Its quite common to see engineers to moving jobs a lot. Tradesmen who are in union are protected from that instability engineers have in their lives.
>>
>>7687080
>What kind of trade?
IBEW

Industrial installations mostly.

>I odn't mind being outside and getting dirty.

on a nice spring day, working outside is awesome, but you didn't get to pick. when its 20 degrees and snowing you really wish you had that office job.

it also wears on your body. i didn't know a single old timer who didn't hurt in some way. i don't want pins in my knees.
>>
>>7684161
Most western economies are extremely anemic and I suspect the inflation numbers are massaged to show "growth" but in reality our economies are at 0% growth in real terms

but whatever, fuck that noise vote Bernie 2016
>>
>>7685121
>>7686572
>European retards miss the point

are the professors slaves? Did aliens build the facilities?

Thats amazing, how is there no economic cost to education there? Maybe I should move there and only receive 40% of my wages
>>
>>7687104
>I was the guy that talked all the time in ECON101
>>
>>7687117
you realise education is one of the main driving forces behind a growing economy right?
>>
nuke eng or computational mathematics?
>>
>>7687117
so either we charge everyone in the country who makes money for university in taxes, so that more people can afford to go to university and make money, or you can charge everyone who makes money even more money in student loans and have a lot more unemployed people

oh, and your student loans are from private banks and not the government as well, so you don't even get that money back.

i bet you think your healthcare system works too
>>
>>7687132
you euro's heavily exaggerate the cost of an education in the US. you can easily get a BS for less than 15k$. federal aid for poor students is actually quite good here, most people on 4 chan are privileged middle class teenagers who's parents make too much money for them to qualify.

its also how the military maintains its recruitment because the GI bill is probably the most generous educational program in the world.
>>
>>7684087
I'm long Helium too. Hang in there bro.
>>
>>7687089
>it also wears on your body. i didn't know a single old timer who didn't hurt in some way. i don't want pins in my knees.
I've heard of this, and I believe the solution is trying move into a Project management position or opening your own little firm.
>IBEW
You're an electrician. That's what I want to do. I live in a major city. How do you get into the union?
>>
File: 1440592053875.png (20 KB, 1074x788) Image search: [Google]
1440592053875.png
20 KB, 1074x788
>>7687126
>memes or memes?
>>
>>7687172
>I believe the solution is trying move into a Project management position

foreman? yeah, those positions are gotten through seniority more than anything else. a legit office job is going to require some kind of degree no matter what these days, even if its some chincy 2 year AS.

>or opening your own little firm.
is brutal because its either you doing all the work for the first couple years or paying out the ass for union employees. for some odd reason, getting licensed and bonded as an engineer is less expensive than trying to get your own one-man-van electrical operation.

>How do you get into the union?
you pay money. go down to the union hall and sign up. its not a complicated process, but once you find out how much control over your life they want, you might rethink things. apprentice life sucks ass.
>>
>>7687205
Well I have a degree and I'm thinking of going to IBEW. But what do you mean controlling your life? The work hours? I, may go back for an engineering degree at some point.
>>
>>7684869
In Germany you get also 190€ every month for just being <25 years old.

My student time was the best time of my life with all the free education and free money.

>You need a loan for rent and stuff? Here take it and pay only the 1/2 back years after you finished your degree.
>>
>>7687080
>Tradesmen live longer than most white collar professionals.
C-citation?
>>
>>7687173
which meme is the better meme
>>
>>7687252
In Clapistan we are paying money to live.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.