[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can someone explain to me why the fuck this would not work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6
File: geosteam.png (16 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
geosteam.png
16 KB, 800x800
can someone explain to me why the fuck this would not work?
>>
>>7683187
Geothermal energy is a thing but its not very accessible everywhere.

And it wouldn't be "unlimited"
>>
>>7683187
http://www.google.com/url?q=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kola_Superdeep_Borehole&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjz2rzKw67JAhWCGz4KHc_cD1oQFgg6MAk&usg=AFQjCNFeBVo7RD5CKhYYp1t_MxTQ5-DiQA
>>
>>7683196
>not very accessible
literally everyone on earth theoretically has access to this kind of power
>>
>>7683204
You don't know how hard it is to drill that far underground and lay down the materials necessary to harvest geothermal power. In many places the difficulty outweighs the benefits
>>
>>7683204
Just like literally everyone on earth theoretically has access to the power of the sun.
>>
>>7683187

1. Not unlimited.
If humanity extracted all it's energy from geothermal sources than the earth's interior would start to cool down.

2. Drilling is very fucking expensive

3. We don't know how to drill the semi-molten plastic rocks near the mandle.

4. You pay a certain amount of money per unit power (ie for drilling a pair of holes).
I'm pretty sure it'll take quite some time to pay for itself (even if it works).
>>
>>7683187
geothermal energy is already a thing and it's much more efficient than your retarded design
>>7683225
>If humanity extracted all it's energy from geothermal sources than the earth's interior would start to cool down
come on nigger, this is about as stupid as the statement "if we use wind power we can use up all the wind"
>>
>>7683234
No, but it is like

>If we keep using the earth's gravity well to slingshot probes out of orbit, eventually our rotation will stop!
>>
File: flat-earth.jpg (80 KB, 600x396) Image search: [Google]
flat-earth.jpg
80 KB, 600x396
You'd drill through to the other side of the world and the water would freeze in space.
>>
>>7683187
>why the fuck this would not work?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_energy
>>
First: drilling is fucking hard through the crust alone. Pressure is too high for most materials and the mantle would melt most stuff. Lets not forget tectonics. Plates of the crust move over the mantle and the flexing of rock would break anything you drilled down. Thats why your genius plan won't work.
>>
>>7683234
>come on nigger, this is about as stupid as blah blah

>"In 2012, the IEA estimated that the world energy consumption was 155,505 terawatt-hour (TWh), or 5.598 × 1020 joules.[2] This works out to 17.7 TW, or a bit less than the estimated 20 TW produced by radioactive decay on earth.[3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_energy_consumption
>>
>>7683267
Do I REALLY have to explain how stupid thinking any of that is relevant is?

1) Earth is not a closed system, whether patterns are powered by the sun.
2) Radioactive decay? What the fuck does that have to do with anything? Wikipedia's just using it to give you a sense of scale, but even then how does anyone have any intuitive understanding of the amount of radioactive decay on Earth? Do you have any idea much energy is lost by blackbody radiation?
3) Continuing from 3, do you have any idea how much energy there IS in stored in Earth in the form of its molten interior? It'd take 8 times the age of the universe before Earth's core cooled. There's a LOT of Earth beneath its surface.
>>
>>7683302

>whether patterns
>whether
top kek.

How is "whether" even relevant?

2. Radioactive decay has to do with everything. It's the power source you want to use.
Also any blackbody radiation is counting against you.

3. If you have to rely on stored heat, you're cooling the earth's interior.
>>
>>7683187

yes you can harvest geothermal energy.

but even if it would be as strong of an energy source as fusion.

the energy converters we built can't reach 100% efficiency yet and maybe never will.
>>
>>7683325
Not the guy you're replying to but I thought a big part of the temperature in the molten interior is due to friction by heavier elements being drawn to the center.

I'm not sure how relevant radioactive decay really is.
>>
>>7683436
Found this article:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-is-the-earths-core-so/

Apparently radioactive decay is probably the smallest of 3 factors behind earth's interior temperature. So I guess your argument is not very valid.
>>
File: stupidity bait.png (19 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
stupidity bait.png
19 KB, 800x800
Fuck off OP
>>
>>7683187
its working already, just forget about infinite or free energy.
oh and fracking plus cooling might trigger earthquakes, the open question is how to make sure its many harmless small quakes instead of the one and final quake for that region.
>>
>http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-is-the-earths-core-so/

comedy goldmine: comments on that article...laughing my ass of...stupidity might actually be infinite.
>>
>>7683436
>I'm not sure how relevant radioactive decay really is
Modern models typically place it at about 40% of the heat budget, with residual heat from the planet's formation contributing 50% and tides/friction/whatever else making up the last few percent. There are supposedly bands of the mantle that are highly enriched in radioactive materials, though these haven't been observed directly, but are inferred from the known heat budget and surface fluxes.

That said, there are models that don't require a large amount of radioactive material. There's quite a lot of debate over the matter.
> http://people.earth.yale.edu/sites/default/files/korenaga03a.pdf
> http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2007RG000241/abstract

>>7683444
That's a really old article.

>>7683414
> maybe never will
Can never be. Basic Carnot cycle.
>>
>>7683414
>the energy converters we built can't reach 100% efficiency yet and maybe never will.
>maybe
>>
>>7683187
My parents got geothermal heating installed over the summer. I went over when the company was drilling into the yard, really fucking cool stuff. Anyway, yeah, it's not unlimited energy.
>>
File: 1445284757650.jpg (155 KB, 950x678) Image search: [Google]
1445284757650.jpg
155 KB, 950x678
>>7683187
COST.
PER.
WATT.

Much cheaper to drill for oil and coal. Nigga, we can't even drill past the crust, do you have any idea how ridiculously expensive it would be to drill that far?
>>
>>7683243
Gravity slingshots use a planet's orbital momentum, so your statement is completely false. Enough gravity slingshots would kill the Earth's orbit, not rotation.
>>
No laws are being broken here. We are merely converting thermal energy to other forms of energy. The amount of effort needed to make such machine will be tremendous tho
>>
>>7683260
>Lets not forget tectonics.

Pretty sure you could theoretically get centuries of use out of a geothermal well long before tectonics take effect
>>
>>7683187

It does work (although not "unlimited")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_power_in_Iceland
>>
>>7683187

Now, I'm no engineer, but if you got pipes runnin through the molten iron core of earth, what the fuck are the pipes made from so that they don't melt?

That seems like a major issue with your idea
>>
>>7683447
add a pump
>>
>>7684535
Diamond, the hardest metal known to man.

I mean, since we're already spending mad dosh to drill a hole into the mantle, we might as well splurge out on some bling pipes.
>>
>>7684535
You don't need to set up pipes through the core. Or anywhere near it. You just go to a geologically active area, dig a well and pump water into the ground. Then you go over a bit and drill a second well where you pump hot water out. It's a fairly simple concept and is something we've been doing for literally decades.
>>
>>7684578
/thread
>>
>>7684578
Bump
>>
File: 1448591507508.gif (31 KB, 258x375) Image search: [Google]
1448591507508.gif
31 KB, 258x375
>>7684535
>molten iron
>core

Choose one
>>
>>7683592
>My parents got geothermal heating installed over the summer

What country are you from?
>>
>>7683497
>I guess we should build an giant air washing mashine ,that works with water ,it must be build near iceland ,tecnology similar to homes aspirators based in twirl water. later freeze the water near poles with giants coolers sistems.it will cool the core. long life to Jesus Crist .he lives with us.
>>
>>7684578
is this is true why do people claim there's an energy crisis since this could last forever
>>
>>7685049

Very few geothermal stations are used to produce electricity.

The water coming out of this system is just low-level heat, ie mostly unusable for generators.

Also it typically doesn't last forever. There are issues with water flow and drawing too much heat. It can last for several decades though.
>>
>>7683187

wouldn't this fuck with the earth's geothermic balance too much and cause bad mojo or something
>>
>>7683187
Enjoy your cavitation.
>>
>>7683225
>Drilling is very fucking expensive

Yes. In order to generally exploit geothermal heat, you have to drill thousands of feet down, often a few miles. Drilling costs for going that deep pretty much rise exponentially.

/sci/ducks just can't understand economics. Geothermal exploitation can't compete with fossil fuels, and by the time it does (when the price of FFs rises) it will be too expensive to exploit anyway.
>>
>>7685057
>The water coming out of this system is just low-level heat, ie mostly unusable for generators.

That's because we run our power generation industries on the base of maximum efficiency. Low-eff production just doesn't produce enough profit. Modern industrialists just won't do it. Period.
>>
>>7685173
>>7685171
based violent simians guy is back lads
>>
>>7683187
How do you stop it from cooling in the hundreds of miles of pipe on its way to the steam turbine?
>>
>>7685077
It might anger the druids and bring about ragnarok
>>
>>7685442

It might actually cause serious problems if we're talking about hundreds of gigawatts.
>>
>>7685184
thermal insulation, retard
>>
>>7685448
Maybe if we were talking hundreds of billions of gigawatts it might be a problem.
>>
>>7685520
One hundred billion Gigawatts is 10^20 watts or 10 million terawatts.

You don't seem to gasp how big this number is.
The sun gives out 10^25 watts.

If all that energy was coming from the earth's interior, it'd get frozen really fast.
>>
>>7683187
Because it s really hard to drill.
According to Google the deepest hole is around 12 km deep. In your sketch you are tapping into what I assume is the mantle of earth whichbis atleast 70 km deep. It would be verry hard to find material that can whistand the hight temp and pressure for an extended period of time ( whithout the need of constant maintenance) finnally it's cheaper and easier to use geothermal
>>
>>7683267
Meanwhile, the sun pours energy onto the Earth at a rate thousands of times greater.
>>
>>7685173
>Modern industrialists just won't do it. Period.

And well they shouldn't, really, considering what "unprofitable" actually means. Doing something unprofitable over something profitable means "Deliberately wasting scarce resources by either producing fewer resources than are consumed, or deciding not to create as many resources while consuming the same amount", adjusted for the scarcity, world demand, usefulness, accessibility, etc. of those resources.
>>
It DOES work, but it's definitely not infinite. Logistically, it's a pain to set up new infrastructure.
>>
>>7683447

>doesn't know what one way valves are
>>
>>7683234
You underestimate the amount of energy humans can process. Furthermore, the wind isn't a closed system, it's powered by solar energy. The heat inside the earth is very limited in comparison.
>>
>>7683447
As many have said, a one way valve would fix that problem, that's literally how a coffee-maker works.
>>
Just stick to tesla's idea. Also you couldnt dig that deep and lay the materials there, unless hundreds of workers want to throw away their lives
>>
Probably would work to an extent, but it's more effective and better financially to just put our bets on fusion and hope for the best
>>
>>7687568
>You underestimate the amount of energy humans can process.
If we increased our production tenfold tomorrow, literally nothing significant will change. Don't count infrastructure, don't think about the cost of it all, just imagine electricity 1c/KWh. Wopdie fucking do, people can waste AC all day long for low cost. Nothing significant changes.
>>
>>7683187
Unlimited in terms of how long we'll likely exist compared to the planet, yeah sure.

It's just that we'll have to start running out of all other forms of energy before people invest this much into geothermal energy on a mass scale.
>>
>>7683187
Would the steam not cool before it reached the surface?
>>
>>7685039
> I said that gravitoethertons produced at the common spherical boundary of matter and antimatter universe is flowing as ether in our universe and earths core is getting focussed energy to keep it hot and molten and due to flow of electron loops we get huge current flow to produce magnetism as per Farradays law.
Crackpots can be so funny, it's kinda sad though they really believe their own nonsense.
>>
>>7683204
Define "access." Obviously, it is easier to access geothermal heat where it comes closest to the surface. In areas where the heat is close enough to the surface to be accessible at an economically feasible cost, it is utilized now.

FWIW, drilling to "the core" would not be necessary, you can get way more than enough heat much closer t the surface -- though, in most places, still very deep.
>>
>>7683187
One consequence of using deep geothermal heat would be pumping vast amounts f heat energy from the depths of the Erath to the surface.

Can't see the environmentalists going for that, on a massive scale.
>>
>>7683497
Forcing one to wonder how to harness this infinite source of potential power...
>>
>>7683245

The whole flat earth thing actually upsets me so much.

I hate people wilfully ignoring evidence I wish they had listened in school or done a non-shitbrain degree.
>>
>>7684566
Diamondillium would be superior.
>>
>>7685049
I have not heard the term "energy crisis" used since the 1970s, maybe early 80s.
>>
>>7685531
>If all that energy was coming from the earth's interior, it'd get frozen really fast.

THAT would not be an issue -- transferring that much heat to the surface would roast us all pretty thoroughly long before the "freezing" of the core could have whatever dire effects you imagine it might have.
>>
>>7683497
>Ever wondered why while everything else moves in curves due to forces, scientists claim light travels in straight line? NASA is keeping secrets from us

>Everything moves in curves
>Scientists claim light travels in a straight line

Holy shit guys how have we never thought of this!!!?!?!?!?!
>>
>>7685531
Well I DID say it might be a problem then.
>>
>>7683187
In summary:
You'd need a feedwater pump to force the liquid down (easily doable)
Drilling is enormously damn expensive, and piping that can withstand the pressures involved wouldn't be cheap either
Second law of thermodynamics says you have to get rid of waste heat (easily resolved, more or less)
In places where magma is relatively close to the surface, such as Iceland, this is effectively already done in the form of geothermal power

The Earth's heat is not solely residual, but it also is generated by radioactive fission in the mantle. Even if all the world's electricity demand were covered in this way, our sun would turn red giant before we could completely cool off the enormous thermal mass.

Any further questions?
>>
>>7688405
Fucking shills everywhere.
Diamondium is objectively better.
>>
>>7683187
nigger do you know how expensive it is to bore a hole through MILES of rock?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.