[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of psychiatry? Both my parents are psychiatrists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 1078x1078) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 1078x1078
What do you guys think of psychiatry?
Both my parents are psychiatrists and im thinking of going for it
>>
I think you are crazy
>>
This is a science board. The humanities board is that way:

>>>/his/
>>
>>7679501
>psychiatry
It's a legal term. Psychiatrists are psychologists with the training and legal responsibility to prescribe drugs. I correctly believe that Desoxyn should not be over the counter. I also correctly believe that all MD's are terrible scientists. Therefore I also correctly believe that you would be a neurochemical garbage man.

You'll get paid a shit ton...
>>
>>7679514
But psychiatry is a science, psychology is humanities
>>
File: Girls.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>7679523
You know, I believe you believe that.
>>
>>7679523

Oh yeah, who can forget about great scientists like Freud and Jung. Real geniuses, those psychiatrists. Totally not a pseudoscience.
>>
>>7679530
Can you care to explain how is psychiatry not a science? Or are you just trying to s4s?
>>
>>7679501
Hey man if it makes you happy and feel fullfilled, and if you leave the earth a bit better of a place than Do it
>>
>>7679535

Maybe 'not a science' is too bold a claim. 'crappy science' is a more modest label and a lot of psychiatrists think their field is becoming a joke.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3493094/
>>
>>7679514
>>7679530
Psychiatry is a medical field and is definitely not a humanities and basically you're retarded.

>>7679521
>Psychiatrists are psychologists with the training and legal responsibility to prescribe drugs.
Nope. 0/10. You need a medical background so Psychiatrists are MDs with the training and legal responsibility to prescribe drugs. Neuroscience is more closely related to the field than psychology.
>>
>>7679535
Because it is not a science. It has nothing to do with the scientific method, the scientific process, or scientific ideals. There is nothing about it that is a science. It is a system of medical practices derived (initially) from psychological theory. How you can think psychology is not science and even broach the question of why psychiatry is not a science is beyond me.

What is with this generation of science-worshipers who don't know the definition of science and think "anything good is science, anything bad is not science"?
>>
>>7679552
It uses the scientific method actually. It's called trials and it's more of a science than modelling circlejercking like ST because it has actual evidence.
>>
>>7679574

>muh RCTs

I want the medfags to leave our board. Go to /fit/ or something.
>>
>>7679501
Dad is a psychiatrist + psychotherapeut too.
What's the training like in the us? Here it is 6 years med school + 4 years specialization

Not in the field myself, but what about shtting on fields you aren't into?
>>
>>7679574
Clinical research is an entirely different field from psychiatry. Tell me, do your parents perform clinical research? Are you going in to perform clinical research. Like all fields, there is some overlap in personnel at the experimental level, but their practicing philosophies are entirely different on a fundamental level.

It's medicine. I don't know where you got this idea in your head that everything not science is bad, but medicine is not science and it's not bad. And that's what practicing psychiatry is.
>>
>>7679543
Not sure how you think a zero citation opinion piece written by two people who are not prominent in the field at all represents mainstream consensus or supports your idea that "a lot of psychiatrists think their field is becoming a joke"
>>
>>7679595
it's is own thing. I find medicine most similar to technology (like IT) as praxis.
>>
>>7679593
Im mexican
>>
>>7679548
>medical
medical =/= science

>Psychiatrists are MDs
See.

>Neuroscience is more closely related to the field than psychology.

No modern psychologist ignores neuroscience. This is different from a true Scotsman tho. I assure you.

>>7679580
>>7679595
I'm actually physically drinking to this. GG.
>>
>>7679598
Because anything ncbi is fact. DUH.

>>7679600
You're idea of food is amazing to me. Can I make you make a burrito for me and post pics? please?
>>
>>7679608
>medical =/= science
I never said that. I said it's not a humanities.

>No modern psychologist ignores neuroscience.
Psychology doesn't care about biochemistry and shit. That's why neuro and psychiatry are outgrowing it.
>>
The practice of clinical psychiatry, probably more so than any field of medicine, is more art than science.

Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>7679641
Medicine in general is a discipline on its own that can be more accurately described as an art rather than science.

It's still not fucking humanities though, so don't link /his/ at it.
>>
File: uM3Uh9k.gif (2 MB, 555x409) Image search: [Google]
uM3Uh9k.gif
2 MB, 555x409
>>7679628
>Psychology doesn't care about biochemistry
Can you even read journal articles? You know, there is more to an article than just the abstract.
>>
>>7679628
Pretty sure that neuro is an area within psychology.
>>
>>7679670
Why are you so sure about that when you are so wrong?
>>
Pseudomedical religion.
>>
>>7679672
Elaborate.
>>
>>7679670

No, they're different fields. Most of neuroscience has nothing to do with psychology.

Multiple sclerosis is not psychology.
Beta amyloid plaques are not psychology.
The study of vision is not psychology.
Peripheral neuropathy is not psychology.

And the list goes on...
>>
Behavioral psych is scientific, it's the cognitive branch that seems like quackery and belongs in >>>/his/.
>>
>>7679501
I'm so sorry.
>>
>>7679709
>Scientific

Hardly. Interchangable terminology and only statistically valid data.
>>
>>7679720
> statistically valid
I think Pavlovs dog experiment is highly reproducable and almost perfectly explains the brain's response to stimuli (reinforcement and reward), which is more neurological (a science) than the Freudian or other camps which have you make up states of consciousness, feelings, and other subjective concepts.

And just what would be the analog of a 'reinforcement' on the cognitive side of psych?
>>
File: psydrugsposter.jpg (15 KB, 361x514) Image search: [Google]
psydrugsposter.jpg
15 KB, 361x514
>>7679501

>What do you guys think of psychiatry?

You mean the state-sanctioned church? "Mental illness" is ill-defined pseudoscientific labelling invented as a tool for social control and oppression. Of course like any flavor of quackery you can make lots of money, dealing harmful and expensive active placebo "indulgences" for the pharma company "archbishops". But think of the corrupt system you'd be fueling, and all the lives you'd be ruining and taking advantage of.
>>
>>7679672
Neuropsychology is one of the most sought after fields in psychology anon.
>>
>>7679709
I always found the cognitive branch to be more so scientific than the majority of branches. Most of its measurements are very objective like tracking eye movement, brain wave responses and such.

Behavioral is also very objective and useful as well though.
>>
>>7679773
Isnt it funny how the church of scientology runs the anti-psychiatric movement?
Anon do you actually believe you are an alien soul that needs to pay someone so they send you fumes so you can build an airplane for someone named xenu?
>>
>>7679501
psychiatry produces proportionally the fewest AOAs of any specialty, that should tell you something.
also all their techniques are 40 years old.
>>
>>7679501

Very noble field, if you decide to go that route just focus on therapy before going to the meds, unless they are schizo.
>>
i did my psych major senior internship at a state hospital (p.c. name for what used to be called asylums), even though i had no intention of going the clinical route. i was just curious about what when on in there, since whenever we'd drive by it when i was a kid, my sisters and mom would talk about it like it was some sort of scary crazy place. let me tell you that nothing will prepare you for the smell. its a combination of old/never washed clothes, cigarettes and b.o. from people that dont shower, some will go years or decades. not joking about that. the other thing thats noticeable is the lack of staff. since its government run, they lack funds and the proper amount of staff. some clinicians sometimes had to be alone even though rules stated that they always needed to be in at least pairs. it was quite the experience. lots of characters with the majority being subdued and nice, minus this one 300 lb 6'5" guy with paranoid schizophrenia that was filtered through his hot temper who ended up punching this really chill guy in the eye so badly that the eye had to be excised. i never knew what that chill guy was saying, since he had fleeting, strung together thoughts, but he was always just glad to have someone to listen to him, so that really sucked. then there was the psychiatrist or psychologist (not sure) that was bludgeoned to death by two incoming inmates over in the penal section (where people go when they plead guilty by reason of insanity) a decade before i got there. she was actually discovered by her husband who also worked there as a psychologist or psychiatrist.

so theres that. you could also end up at some cush place treating rich peoples kids who develop substance abuse and depression.
>>
>>7679808
sounds insane
>>
File: 1447809221425.jpg (78 KB, 640x533) Image search: [Google]
1447809221425.jpg
78 KB, 640x533
>>7679773
>>
>>7679531
Reminder that, despite SOME of their theory being valid, Freud and Jung are the laughing stock of curenty psychologists.
>>
>>7680013
They're not anymore than philosophers laugh at Descartes's substance dualism, and aspect of it that try to work within the christian framework. It was a product of a certain time and context.

Freud and Jung were the same. No one in the field legitimately laughs at their work, it formed the foundations of the field and its ideas haven't been anywhere near as scrubbed out as you're implying.

This nonsense is old.
>>
>>7679808
I have heard from med students that regular hospitals have absolutely terrible smells as well
>>
>>7680013

Yeah and it only took psychology like 3 or 4 decades to realize they'd been duped. Real smart guys, those psychologists and psychiatrists.
>>
I'm looking forward the day we could program a brain like a computer.

Both great and terrible thing could come out of it.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.