[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Math is red Engineering is green Other Sciences are blue Debate me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: images.png (2 KB, 319x158) Image search: [Google]
images.png
2 KB, 319x158
Math is red

Engineering is green

Other Sciences are blue

Debate me
>>
Not sure what is your point anon.

Math and engineering are two set and the intersection is empty?

Everything but math is not a science?

The surface of math is the same as the surface of engineering?

Please clarify
>>
>>7679388
primary colors you tryhard but stupid faggot
>>
>>7679388
Lack of any od the 3 and you have abscence of though (99% of liberal arts)

Combining all of them gives you a cold, heartless black (physics)
>>
>>7679391
>black
>not white
>doesnt understand light
gtfo seriously
>>
>>7679397
Who said were using lights faggot? This is all oil-paint based.

But to humor you:

Black- abscence of thought - color of cancer - liberal arts

White - all things in one - color of purity- physics
>>
>>7679404
>This is all oil-paint based.
rgb arent primary colors in painting.. you're wrong either way
>>
>>7679409
Oh youre right. I think my 2nd example is sound though.
>>
>>7679427
until you realize that math is a liberal art
>>
What does the italian flag have to do with any of this?
>>
>>7679371
You poor poor bastard. Has nobody told you that engineering isn't science yet?
>>
>>7679389
OK, primary colors, but you still do not provide anything. Maybe you should consider killing yourself.

>>7679404
>>7679409
Since OP do not provide any clue, it's hard to state that colors are relevant. They could be just a way to distinguish two set.
>>
>>7679442
engineering = science + math + systems design + modelling/simulation
>>
>>7679445
engineering= applied physics
>>
>>7679442
The way the world works is that everybody tries to be recognized as being just as good as the more perceived prestigious profession, or to claim they can work in the area because they have some minor introductory knowledge of it. Of course consumer protection laws prevent this from happening in practice.

>List of people who desperately want to be recognized as scientists:
-Political "scientists".
-Sociologists.
-Physiologists.
etc.

>List of actual scientists
-Biologists
-Chemists
-Physicists
etc.

>List of people who want to be recognized as engineers:
-Physicists.
-Audio, Software "engineers" etc.
-Technicians and Technologists.
-Literally everyone else working in finance, science and/or tech.

>List of actual engineers:
-The 4 traditional Engineering disciplines
-Plus Nuclear and Aerospace Engineering.
-No exceptions.

>List of people who want to be recognized as medical doctors:
-Medical scientists.

>List of medical doctors:
-MDs

And finally,
>List of people who want to be recognized as mathematicians:
-Physicists.
>List of of actual mathematicians:
-Mathematicians
>>
>>7679484
I would have to disagree with you on that one. Everything is basically derived from mathematics (at least scientifically speaking) since math is basically just a tool to express patterns. Physics is the most directly derived from it though, and then engineers make physics useful for real world applications. That doesn't make it science though, and the strict adherence to practicality by engineering as a whole makes me really dislike it.
>>
>>7679389
You must be fragile-x syndrome tier retarded.
Please kill yourself :^)
>>
>>7679499
>Everything is basically derived from mathematics (at least scientifically speaking) since math is basically just a tool to express patterns. Physics is the most directly derived from it though, and then engineers make physics useful for real world applications.
That's an extremely childish simplification. Engineering makes use of results from many sciences other than physics, but the discipline stands on it own and is in fact much, much older than science. In fact considering statics derived from engineering principles paved the way towards the concept of a force, you might as well say physics was derived from engineering which is more true in historicity.

>That doesn't make it science though, and the strict adherence to practicality by engineering as a whole makes me really dislike it.
Because it's not a science you fucking retard. No one thinks it's a science except you. No one cares either, the word "scientist" springs to mind low earning lab rat, not whatever meme image you've imagined.
>>
>>7679515
>physics was derived from engineering which is more true in historicity.

Well, that depends on how you define science. The concept of science would inherently have to exist before somebody could apply it to anything. I guess if you want to say that engineering was around before people called it science then you're right, but that's extremely pedantic.

>the word "scientist" springs to mind low earning lab rat

I'm fine with that. I'd rather make some sort of meaningful contribution to our understanding of the universe than waste my time and talents trying to make money. Besides, the term "engineer" just brings to mind an arrogant asshole who thinks that they're hot shit because they get paid a lot of money since they're basically the golden geese for large corporations trying to increase their productivity.
>>
>>7679564
You're not going to make meaningful contributions and you don't have any talents. You will realize this once you graduate high-school or if you're slow -undergrad.
>>
>>7679582
No, you're right. A real man gives up on his dreams and cynically goes to whatever profession pays the most so that the ammunition with which to kill himself after living an unfulfilling life is easier to buy. Thanks for educating me m8. I'll go start my new shitty life now.
>>
>>7679564
>The concept of science would inherently have to exist before somebody could apply it to anything
not really
science is "lets find out about the world around us"
engineering is "lets make the world around us better"
the whole field of thermodynamics pretty much came from discoveries after the invention of vacuum pumps and engines
engineering was around when people were building aqueducts, the pyramids, and drainage systems, before calculus, before pythagoras
>>
>>7679587
>engineering is "lets make the world around us better"
I think that you're omitting the part in which engineering uses science specifically to make the world around us better. There really isn't a better way to do it. Without that, you basically just have random tinkering which I would be extremely hesitant to call engineering. Maybe my definition is a bit too general though and unknowingly stumbling upon a solution is something to be praised.
>engineering was around when people were building aqueducts, the pyramids, and drainage systems, before calculus, before pythagoras
Yes, but natural philosophy, which is the basic mindset for most modern scientists in my experience, has been around FAR longer than any of those things.
>>
>>7679586
20% of graduated physicists work on trivial projects that essentially come down to supporting engineers' work - and that (industry funding) is literally considered the most desirable source of funding in academia because it boosts the reputation of the department and the grants are matched at good universities.
60% work in IT or teach high-school.
10% actually work at a national lab, generally on the same projects the engineers there work on.
Then the 10% who are actually doing theoretical physics. Very few of these will publish a high impact article in their life time.

You're an arrogant shitstain who is in the lower 20% based on your poor understanding of academia and lack of understanding of other fields. You will work in IT or worse.

You're also retarded if you think engineers do it for the money and prestige. They do engineering because they want to do interesting work that actually makes an impact on the world and improves people's lives.
>>
>>7679604
>I think that you're omitting the part in which engineering uses science specifically to make the world around us better.
So, do you want a cookie for doing a science degree? Science used in engineering is different from what is taught in physics. It uses far more advanced classical science that isn't taught in pure science degrees. Technological progression and our research in applied science is almost entirely pushed by people with an engineering backgrounds, this includes fundamental fields such as modern heat, momentum and mass transfer which was mostly developed by engineers.

That's why people enter engineering. It teaches the most interesting science and allows you to do the most interesting and useful things.
>>
>>7679604
>Without that, you basically just have random tinkering which I would be extremely hesitant to call engineering
how is that not engineering? how do you think all the empirical relations in fluid mechanics come from? moody charts, frictional losses, etc is all empirical correlations
most peoples hierarchy goes math, science, engr but in reality it goes engr, science, math. nobody was analysing and characterizing materials before you needed materials to do a project. science and math were developed to facilitate in engineering projects
>>
>>7679484
>>List of people who want to be recognized as mathematicians:
>-Physicists.

>I'm stuck in the beginning of the 20th century
>>
>>7679610
I'm pretty sure that you're getting those statistics from all physicists, even the ones with only bachelor's degrees, which are entirely useless for anything other than being a poorly paid engineer. Once you actually get an education beyond undergrad, you're much less likely to be a high school teacher or an IT person. Even if you wanted to for some asinine reason, they wouldn't hire you because you're too qualified for the position. I also didn't really mean to say that most engineers only want the money/prestige. I was mainly saying that I don't care if I make money or not because only wanting to make money is really stupid. I also think that I'll be just fine in the long run, since I'm not actually stupid enough to believe that there's a single supreme science and that engineering is inferior to pure sciences. In most cases, they actually rely on each other to keep growing at a good rate. It's just fun to make people mad by pretending to be somebody who thinks as such.
>>
>>7679610
Not that guy, but without physics, you won't have anything to work with. Physicists, essentially, provide you with the building blocks to play with and arrange in the most effective way into solutions to real world problems.
To denounce physicists of importance is bit short-sighted, to say the least.

Both fields are of utmost importance to the humanity: engineering is about making the difference here and now, while physics is about unlocking more possibilities in the future.

Bash liberal arts scum instead of each other.
>>
>>7679445
Engineering = sick of this reading shit, ready to make money cappn!
Kinda the same story for comp sci.
>>
>>7679371
>RGB

Not considering everyone, why I oughta....
>>
>>7679484
It's not that computer science majors want to be recognized as "engineers." It's that engineering colleges are usually the ones that actually offer meaningful CS degrees and equip themselves to do so.
I'd argue that it has the same level of focus on math as physics. The later being based on calc and diffeq, the former on discrete maths.
If you're just getting a B.S, you're either an engineer or a technician, when you think about it.
>>
>>7679680
>Not that guy, but without physics, you won't have anything to work with.
Wrong. Read>>7679515 again.

> Physicists, essentially, provide you with the building blocks to play with and arrange in the most effective way into solutions to real world problems.
>To denounce physicists of importance
I'm not denouncing Physicists and I know they're important, I'm denouncing "physicists" (or more accurately students and bachelor holders and some retarded PhDs) like you -who actually believe engineering is applied physics- who do not contribute to engineering physics AT ALL (fundamental research in engineering science is done by engineers, not anyone trained in pure physics, which does not educated you adequately enough in classical science) and in addition physics is one of many disciplines used in engineering and it's not even the most important. Saying statements like "without physics, you won't have anything to work with" just tells me you don't understand engineering -or science for that matter- at all. I really don't know why people like you even post on /sci/, your ilk belongs on reddit and xkcd forums.

Many of you have this retarded idea in your heads that all physics used in engineering was developed by physicists, which couldn't be further from the truth. Physicists are trained more extensively in modern physics with the goal in mind of eventually doing research in the most fundamental fields such as QFT, GR, ST, particle physics etc. Physicists barely scratch the surface of classical sciences related to engineering science, consequently research in those fields including the fundamental theory (such as the modern advent of transfer processes) is done by engineers.

>engineering is about making the difference here and now, while physics is about unlocking more possibilities in the future.
Also not true. Technology and tools are about unlocking more possibilities in the future too. Tools like the LHC would not be possible without engineering.
>>
>>7679484
This. Though you forgot.

>List of people who do not want to be recognized as scientists.
-Mathematicians.

Empiricism is shit tier.
>>
File: 1448401225380.png (2 KB, 319x158) Image search: [Google]
1448401225380.png
2 KB, 319x158
>>7679371
I could not help but notice your png was not optimized anon.
I have optimized your png.
Your png is now optimized.
>>
>>7680335
>Made no changes
At least attempt to meme right.
>>
File: IMG_2837.gif (1006 KB, 255x192) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2837.gif
1006 KB, 255x192
>tfw am a Chemistry major
>>
why are most of you children obsessed with being a mathematician or a physicist? is it because it sounds impressive?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.