[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So basically Einstein's theory of relativity is just saying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: ayylmao.jpg (46 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
ayylmao.jpg
46 KB, 600x450
So basically Einstein's theory of relativity is just saying that time and space have a bond, right?
Just checking
>>
>>7676175
The theory essentially says, Space-time tells matter how to move, and matter tells space-time how to curve
>>
>>7676182
So what is space time? Do you mean the way matter causes space to bend around it?
>>
Define time.

Define space.

Exactly. Case-closed.
>>
>>7676190
Time
the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future regarded as a whole.

Space
a continuous area or expanse that is free, available, or unoccupied.
"a table took up much of the space"
synonyms: room, capacity, area, volume, expanse, extent, scope, latitude, margin, leeway, play, clearance More
the dimensions of height, depth, and width within which all things exist and move.
ta da
>>
File: 1385366931741.gif (2 MB, 400x354) Image search: [Google]
1385366931741.gif
2 MB, 400x354
Relativity is often summed up with E=mc2 for a reason. Yes, they have a bond... but that doesn't tell us anything about it.

To understand the magnitude of relativity, let's work through a simple problem;

Mass * Velocity = n1,

n1 * n1 = n2,

n2 / Mass = n3,

n3 / 2 = KE.

n2 is the square of n1, which is n1 * n1. So;

1kg * 299,000,000 = 299,000,000 squared = 89,401,000,000,000,000 / 1kg / 2 = 44,700,500,000,000,000N.

This is the E in our E=mc2. That is, by making 1kg go very fast, you've made it contain more energy. However, note that velocity is used in the equation - this is where the relativity comes in. Velocity is relative. That is, if you're traveling at the same trajectory and at the same speed as the 1kg object, the velocity equals 0, and so E and KE equal 0.

Length contraction doesn't effect radial motion, but the orbit of particles within an atom isn't radial - it's a curved line through space. And, for the atom to stay together, all it's particles have to speed up. So, every particle is moving through space in a non-radial manner. As an atom increases it's speed, it gets smaller.

Unless it doesn't change it's velocity relative to you - then it doesn't change in size at all. So, an atom - or macroscopic object - can appear to be shrinking to one person and growing to another. If you're in formation with another object, and you speed ahead of it, both of you seem to shrink to one another - but, if you're catching up to a third object, as it's velocity difference decreases, it'll grow. If you constantly changed velocity up and down, one object would shrink and the other object would grow.

And this isn't an illusion - as an object shrinks from length contraction, whats happening is that it's entering into a low-entropy state with you that maximizes your potential energy. When you come into contact, you exchange energy equal to KE, and enter into a higher-entropy state that equalizes your energies.

I still don't know what time has to do with it.
>>
>>7676186
Matter also causes time dilation.
>>
Bond, James Bond
>>
Yeah pretty much the same way ur mum's anus has a bond with my dick.
>>
Niggers
>>
>>7676268
That gif is inaccurate. Please never post it again.
>>
>>7676810
It's accurate in a reference frame that is not static with the galactic centre.
>>
File: image059.jpg (56 KB, 452x323) Image search: [Google]
image059.jpg
56 KB, 452x323
>>7676810

I'm using it to illustrate the non-radial motion that particles experience, and which produces length contraction, i.e shrinking of objects such as atoms.

The particles make spirals in space - note how if you have a wire with electrons moving along it, the magnetic lines form a spiral from one end of the wire to the other. A solenoid makes use of the natural pattern of electron flow.

The solenoid is hooked up to two objects that can store energy - Object A and Object B. Energy flows from the higher energy object to the lower energy object, and this energy can be quantified in Joules. Intuitively, this can be understood as one object being colder than the other - the difference in temperature and the thermal conductivity of the solenoid (Let's say we're speaking about a vacuum) determines the speed at which the ends equalize their energies.

When macroscopic objects increase their velocity, their particles make tighter and tighter spirals according to the change in velocity relative to the observer. So, from your perspective, your particles always seem normal sized - it's velocity, i.e the difference in E - that makes one particle smaller or larger from your perspective.

This is all possible because all states of a particle exist simultaneously - heat is thermodynamically reversible without increasing entropy. Time doesn't exist, because what point along a particle's causal line you see is relative. You create time by moving your point of observation through timeless space, creating a hologram. But you aren't above the hologram - you look like a tree, with many frayed lines of causality weaving themselves into the trunk of your life, and then fraying away again. You are the timeless hologram, stuck forever like a static diamond in space.

Sagan said we were star dust - these lines lead from us to our parents, and from them to the stars. The universe is a vast web of these lines, producing an infinite, eternal hologram.
>>
>>7676175
It's not "just" saying that but sure that's part of it.

Basically the key points of relativity are; time and space are relative, there is no absolute or preferred frame of reference, causality is preserved across all frames of reference by the C speed limit, objects travel along warped paths through spacetime due to the force of gravity.
>>
>>7676268
>>7676810
>>7677319
With reference to 'this' gif. I know it s not correct, however does there exist a similar more accurate model? Or are we incapable of making one? (With galactic core as central reference).
>>
>>7678136
The planets don't trail behind the Sun. We are, in fact, capable of making gifs that don't have the planets trailing behind the Sun; our modern understanding of Adobe After Effects is sufficiently advanced to do this.
>>
>>7678160
They don't trail behind the sun in that gif either. The planetary orbits are not perpendicular to the Sun's orbital trajectory around the galactic center. Thus, at times the planets are ahead, and at times they are behind.
>>
Okay well we know the how, but can any of you answer the why?
>>
File: donald-trump-hair.jpg (562 KB, 1200x1137) Image search: [Google]
donald-trump-hair.jpg
562 KB, 1200x1137
>>7676175
>relativity is just saying that...
>>7676182
>The theory essentially says...
>>7676268
>Relativity is often summed up...

Sometimes I really hate computers because it hides people's true intellect.
If we had to do this on paper these three posters would be writing in crayon because anybody who thinks GR can be summed up in a single sentence shouldn't be trusted with anything as sharp as a pencil.
>>
>>7680003
GR maybe not, but SR can be written as the statement:

The laws of physics, including Maxwell's equations, are true in all reference frames.

Everything else is a mathematical consequence of that.
>>
>>7680029
Yes. GR gets complicated though.

Everyone thinks its just about gravity curving space but there's more than that. For one thing it extends SR to include accelerated motion as well.
>>
>>7680003

>Sometimes I really hate computers because it hides people's true intellect

Your post is nothing but insults - my post contains math. What kind of intellect are you hiding?

>anybody who thinks GR can be summed up in a single sentence

I summed it up with several lines of math, and multiple paragraphs. And, as if my first post wasn't enough, I elaborated without request again in >>7677319.
>>
>>7676175
What if aliens and UFO's are humans from the future who moved to outerspace, visiting the past?
>>
>>7676194
Keks, my good gent
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.