[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's probably a known one but I've worked out this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: asdasfas.jpg (66 KB, 1519x776) Image search: [Google]
asdasfas.jpg
66 KB, 1519x776
It's probably a known one but I've worked out this limit for pi considering a infinite sided regular n-gon is a circle.
My question is is there actually a way to evaluate this infinity x 0 limit?
>>
>>7670927
I believe your limit is incorrect.

cos is between 0 and 1, so the (1- cos) factor must be either 0 or positive. If it is 0, the limit shows that pi = 0, an obvious falsehood. If (1 - cos) is positive, the limit shows that pi = infinity * (positive) = infinity, which is also obviously wrong.
>>
>>7670932
I assume you have never taken a calculus course
lim of 0 * infinity can be finite
>>
>>7670932
there is an n as a factor of (1-cos)

OP:
your x is wrong, you have x=2sin(alpha) or x=sqrt(2-2cos^2(alpha)).

Secondly, you need to show that the perimeter of the polygon converges towards the perimeter of a circle, which is not obvious, and in fact wrong (see fractals for example)

You can, however, use the same idea with surfaces (you can easily show convergence with the squeeze theorem).
>>
>>7670932
cos is between -1 and 1, so 1-cos has a max at 2. Also, cos(0)=1, so the limit would be infinity*0, which is an indeterminate form and can come out to be pi.
>>
>>7670948
also to evaluate the limit, use :
-taylor series
-l'Hôpital
>>
>>7670948
oh you're right, i forgot the square from the cosine theorem
>>
File: 4574574.jpg (71 KB, 1519x776) Image search: [Google]
4574574.jpg
71 KB, 1519x776
>>7670952
Then again this still is a infinityx0 type limit

I guess this
> you need to show that the perimeter of the polygon converges towards the perimeter of a circle
>>
>>7670964
You never pulled out a 2 so it should be 2pi. pic related
>>
>>7670968
Right

Does it show the work explicitly?
>>
>>7670927
so you're trying to express [math]\pi[/math] using [math]2 \pi[/math]
>>
>>7670981
you mean [math]\tau[/math]
>>
>>7670981
it was more about evaluating the limit than reaching a fundamental way to express pi
>>
>>7670997
equivalents.

sin(x) is equivalent to x as x approaches 0. so sin(2pi/n) is equivalent to 2pi/n as n goes to infinity.

And n*sin(2pi/n) is equivalent to n*2pi/n = 2pi as n approaches infinity.
>>
>>7671006
it was cos though, not sin
>>
>>7671029
but cos was wrong, actually was sin.
>>
>>7670927

There's probably a better way but this works.
x = lim(n->inf, n sqrt(2-2cos(2 pi/n)))
x = lim(n->0, sqrt(2-2cos(2 pi n))/n)
x = 2 pi lim(n->0, sin(2 pi n)/sqrt(2-2cos(2 pi n))) -- l'hopitals rule
x = 4 pi^2 lim(n->0, (sin(2 pi n)/(2 pi n))/(sqrt(2-2cos(2 pi n))/n))
x = 4 pi^2 1/x
x^2 = 4 pi^2
x = 2 pi
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.