[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are your thoughts on the golden record? Will it ever reach
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: golden_record_cover_sm.jpg (62 KB, 322x330) Image search: [Google]
golden_record_cover_sm.jpg
62 KB, 322x330
what are your thoughts on the golden record? Will it ever reach anything/anyone? Should we have changed what we put on it?
>>
>>7670284
i'd've put my dick on it you pop-sci faggot
>>
We certainly shouldn't have put a map back to our solar system. Seriously, why would anyone leave their address and directions to their house out for anyone to find?
At least it will lose its accuracy over time.
>>
>>7670320
>We certainly shouldn't have put a map back to our solar system

This means absolutely nothing. The chances of an intelligent alien race accidentally stumbling upon the probe in interstellar space is impossible.
And if by some miraculous means they did capture it, they most likely already have the ability to detect our system so it makes it pointless anyway.
>>
>>7670362
So you agree we shouldn't have put it on there
>>
>>7670362
>The chances of an intelligent alien race accidentally stumbling upon the probe in interstellar space is impossible.
Simply untrue

>And if by some miraculous means they did capture it, they most likely already have the ability to detect our system so it makes it pointless anyway.
Conjecture and bullshit
>>
>>7670362
This.
The voyager probe is barely at the outskirts of our system.

>>7670393
Idiot.
>>
Probably not gonna mean anything for a long, long, long, long, long, long, long while, if even ever.
>>
>>7670393
An alien civilization that finds voyager 1 in space will probably be able to find Earth just from voyager's trajectory before they manage to decrypt our message/map. Also, they'll hear our radio transmissions LONG before they ever find voyager. In fact, they'll probably only find voyager if it is broadcasting a signal.
>>
>believing in aliens when there is no evidence
>>
>>7670422

doesnt it run out of power in 2025 or something like that?
>>
>>7670320

anyone finding it in a timeline that would correspond with there still being anything resembling our current civilization on earth would mean that theyre basically on our doorstep anyway, and obviously know the earth is here....
>>
>>7670426
>believing you're not a faggot
>>
A nice idea, but it's like transcribing Paradise Lost on a grain of sand, throwing it in the ocean and hoping that it reaches someone in another country.
>>
>>7670428
Hope this is bait
>>
>>7670459
Are you bait?
>>
>>7670459

no electrical power means no broadcast
>>
>>7670459

hope THIS is bait
>>
>>7670284
During the 2200s the AI that will be ruling us will understand how a mistake it was and it will go and bring it back home using a starship travelling at 0.4 c
>>
>>7670428
Regardless of when it runs out of power, the chances of it being found are significantly higher if it is broadcasting some signal. Otherwise, there is little evidence to suggest it is anything more significant than a very small rock from a distance. It will reflect little light and has very little mass, so unless it gets really close to an observer, they will have little reason to look at it.
>>
>>7670843
Wouldn't a spectrometry analysis reveal an unusually high concentration of metals? That might be enough for a curious explorer to check it out.
>>
>>7670858
it's in interstellar space. How would one use spectrometry without a light source?
>>
Is never going to be found and they knew that perfectly well when they made it. It's just symbolic, like leaving a flag on the moon.
>>
>>7670422
It's not about trying to contact alien civilizations and get them to come are way per sea, it's a message in a bottle; a greating from one civilization to another, a confirmation that they're not alone. By the time anyone gets back to us we'll all be dust or will have moved on from earth, such is the scale of time that we're talking about.

It will never reach anyone, don't get me wrong, the odds are simply astronomic that it will be picked up. But there is always that fleeting dream that it could, and I guess that was the original point. Of course you're going to get the paranoid and sensationalists barking about how we've given they keys to earth to some evil galatic empire, but let these people enjoy their batshit fantasies
>>
We should have placed a message saying that if the aliens ever came to Earth and the only people left was niggers they should just destroy it all.
>>
File: 1370814792506.jpg (227 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1370814792506.jpg
227 KB, 500x750
>>7670936

The emperor—it is said—sent to you, the one apart, the wretched subject, the tiny shadow that fled far, far from the imperial sun, precisely to you he sent a message from his deathbed. He bade the messenger kneel by his bed, and whispered the message in his ear. So greatly did he cherish it that he had him repeat it into his ear. With a nod of his head he confirmed the accuracy of the messenger’s words. And before the entire spectatorship of his death—all obstructing walls have been torn down and the great figures of the empire stand in a ring upon the broad, soaring exterior stairways—before all these he dispatched the messenger. The messenger set out at once; a strong, an indefatigable man; thrusting forward now this arm, now the other, he cleared a path though the crowd; every time he meets resistance he points to his breast, which bears the sign of the sun; and he moves forward easily, like no other. But the crowds are so vast; their dwellings know no bounds. If open country stretched before him, how he would fly, and indeed you might soon hear the magnificent knocking of his fists on your door. But instead, how uselessly he toils; he is still forcing his way through the chambers of the innermost palace; never will he overcome them; and were he to succeed at this, nothing would be gained: he would have to fight his way down the steps; and were he to succeed at this, nothing would be gained: he would have to cross the courtyard and, after the courtyard, the second enclosing outer palace, and again stairways and courtyards, and again a palace, and so on through thousands of years; and if he were to burst out at last through the outermost gate—but it can never, never happen—before him still lies the royal capital, the middle of the world, piled high in its sediment. Nobody reaches through here, least of all with a message from one who is dead. You, however, sit at your window and dream of the message when evening comes.
>>
>>7670284
Is that the new Yeezy mixtape?
>>
>>7671232
If it were the probe would spontaneously combust
>>
>>7670284
>Will it ever reach anything/anyone?

The chance of this vehicle reaching anyone else brings new meaning to "large powers of ten" when calculating the odds against it.
>>
>>7670284
>all this >muh spooky scary space aliens shit.
if any intelligent life is to understand its meaning (assuming they can find it) it will probably have to resemble the human intelligence.
>>
>>7670843

sure... but my point is >>7670490
>>
>>7670936
>>7670909
>>7670843
>>7670434
>>7670430
>>7670422
>>7670416

the only beings who will ever "find it" will be humans. at some point when space travel is cheap enough, either a bored government will retrieve it to put in some museum, or space "tomb-raider" types will nab it to sell to said gov to put in said museum...
>>
File: 1429725997833.gif (457 KB, 390x293) Image search: [Google]
1429725997833.gif
457 KB, 390x293
>>7670393
>Simply untrue
Space be big.
Probe be slow.
It's hasn't even gotten anywhere yet.
It won't for a long time.
The trajectory it's on seems void of life.
It is very small.
It is impossibly small in a sea of dark nothingness.
Aliens would be more likely to spot earth before the probe and nothing has considered it a place of interest for 4.5 billion years.
It will never be found.

The most the record acts as is a human signature.
"We existed!"
>>
>>7670858

wont the decay of plutonium-238 generate some detectable amount of heat for about 150ish years? thats probably the longest lasting, easily detectable part of voyager... however in 150 years it still wont even have reached the oort cloud
>>
>>7670284
>tell ayylums exactly where we are

What. The. Fuck.
>>
File: deader.jpg (106 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
deader.jpg
106 KB, 500x330
>>7671490
We still have the time to invent sub luminary orbital cannons to intercept it.
>>
File: voyagerone.png (524 KB, 957x551) Image search: [Google]
voyagerone.png
524 KB, 957x551
>>7670320
>>7670387
>>7671490

i hope this is bait... it could take around 30000 years before it even leaves oort cloud, at which point it will still be in our solar system. humans will be long gone or have reverted back to total tribalism even by then.
>>
>>7670284
I always found the messages we send into outer space way too cryptic.

Most people on Earth probably can't decipher just what the fuck is going on on that disc, and we all have a frame of reference. I know the aliums are probably very clever and probably WILL figure it out, but it just seems like they're making it look cryptic for the sake of looking cool.
>>
File: Arecibo_1974_Chilbolton_2001.png (28 KB, 508x524) Image search: [Google]
Arecibo_1974_Chilbolton_2001.png
28 KB, 508x524
This message got an answer after seven years.
>>
>>7671508
So what?

I don't want any xeno scum coming to my planet, even if it's 100 million years after my death.
>>
File: 826.jpg (26 KB, 560x330) Image search: [Google]
826.jpg
26 KB, 560x330
>>7671544

CHECK YOUR PLANET PRIVILEGE YOU XENOPHOBIC SHITLORD!!
>>
>>7671464
This and only this.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 520x377) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 520x377
>>7671539

>>/x/
>>
>>7670284
In 300 years time it will be a museum piece.
Space propulsion technology has reached the end of its stagnation period and will develop far enough for us to send proper interstellar probes at close to the speed of light if not faster (non locally) within the next 100 years.
>>
>>7670284
I think it needs more memes.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.