[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hoverboard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: hover-board-001.jpg (34 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
hover-board-001.jpg
34 KB, 620x388
So can anyone here come up with a theoretical hoverboard design?
>>
>>7658678

BTTF2 was fiction.
>>
>>7658678
All of the ground would need to be magnets.
>>
File: 1447996351948.jpg (64 KB, 700x580) Image search: [Google]
1447996351948.jpg
64 KB, 700x580
>>7658680
>aeroplanes were fiction
>jet engines were fiction
>rockets were fiction
>computers were fiction
>space travel was fiction
>>
>My second herpes thread gets deleted for a second time after I got banned 3 days for posting a picture of herpes in my first thread
>countless troll threads on /sci/

Fuck y'all.

Fuck all of you guys.

Anyways, OP you need a power source safe enough that's powerful and light enough for the application.

Maybe one of the threads on /sci/ about magic can help you, maybe one of the anons there knows a spell.

Maybe there's a spoopy ghost lurking in one of the supernatural threads on /sci/!

Look around and ask a few questions. What could go wrong? ^__^
>>
>>7658680
1 and 3 weren't, so there.
>>
>>7658678
Some sort of petrol powered quadcopter is the only realistic way to do it unless you want to line the road with magnets.
>>
>>7658678

Nothing that looks and acts like the BTTF2 hoverboard in any meaningful sense. Trying to make it naturally buoyant enough to support an adult male means making it too large in order to displace enough air. Aerodynamic lift means a much higher speed and surface area, again making it too big and incapable of stopping. Any sort of electric fan based thrust system would require much larger motors and props than can fit in a board along with too high power requirements. There is a similar issue with chemical propellant.

The easiest route would seem to be some sort of change to the environment. In a sense we already have a "hoverboard" in that a surfboard is buoyant on water. Alternatively a fan based system could have more thrust if it were working in a more viscous environment than air, water for example. In that case a screw based liquid system is just a water pump. In that case, we have Flyboards.

Magnets are another option but don't work in the existing environment so a special track would need to created. However, if we are going to change the environment, why not attach the thrusters to the ground like a giant table hockey table, or use induction chargers to power the board, or just long power cords like a wired remote car.

After that I'm out of ideas unless we discover new forces at work in the universe.
>>
>>7658682
not if the board comtained a powerful enough magnet to magnestise the earth, then another magnet with opposite polarity to the first to repel itself from the earth
>>
>>7658793
after seeing that one guys video i did some back of the napkin calcs for that. you'd need a 4kW powerplant that weighs less than 30 lbs, fully fueled.

good fucking luck.
>>
>>7658804
Underrated post
>>
>>7659910
2 stroke engines in the 2kg range can output about 4 kW
>>
Someone made a magnet-based one (noisy and only works on metal surfaces):
http://hendohover.com/
>>
>>7659910
>>7660462

Lol not even close

For a propeller

Force^3 = Power^2 * density * Area

Lets say quadcopter fan radius is 0.2 m the total area of four is 0.5 m^2

You want to lift an 80 kg guy so that is 785 N

Assume 75% prop efficiency the power needed is 38 kW
>>
Is there anyway we could use the magnetic field of the earth to make hover boards work?

probably not but just wondering...
>>
Yea, flood the entire world with a few inches of water over the land. Stand on a piece of wood.
>>
>>7660946
no its too weak.
>>
>>7658678
>>7660914

Thorium powered EM drive
>>
File: 65322.jpg (25 KB, 286x342) Image search: [Google]
65322.jpg
25 KB, 286x342
>>7662095
>>
File: superconductivity-meissner.jpg (14 KB, 350x195) Image search: [Google]
superconductivity-meissner.jpg
14 KB, 350x195
Future tech will be able to cool stuff pretty well.

With superconductor levitation, and magnetic sidewalks, we could do this.
>>
>>7662113
oh shit
nice one
>>
>>7658678
>theoretical
Hoverboard's already exist
>>
File: omni hoverboard.jpg (195 KB, 1200x667) Image search: [Google]
omni hoverboard.jpg
195 KB, 1200x667
>>7660914
That equation is for an ideal actuator disc, too. You can pretty much double it for a realistic figure.

Though I think your estimate of 0.5 m^2 is a little low for this contraption.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwSwZ2Y0Ops

no CGI i swear!
>>
>>7660478
But it can't turn, can it?
>>
With magnets the problem isn't hovering, it's turning, and the practicality of magnetic surfaces.

With propellers, the problem is size and power.

So until we find a different way of keeping it off the ground, we're out of luck.
>>
>>7662307
There doesn't have to be too much CGI when it's just rigged.

The thing only works for few moments when it's cooled with liquid nitrogen like that and the track is plated with magnetic material.
>>
>>7662271
Nope, I use it to design stuff and it's only ever 20% out. I don't know why /sci/ has disdain for basic equations they are fine when combined with experiment.
>>
>>7662095
It takes a lot of browsing to start catching /sci/ memes but I think this board has the best ones.
>>
Hoverboards are retarded because you don't have any friction to the left or right resulting in an unsteerable piece of shit that is entirely useless.

>hurr I could fly but I prefer to hover over the ground a few centimeters
>>
>>7662696
But imagine a perfect day drinking Pepsi and hover boarding everywhere
>>
>>7662696
wow that blew my mind .
thanks anon
>>
File: 1436265148593.gif (4 MB, 532x529) Image search: [Google]
1436265148593.gif
4 MB, 532x529
>>tfw graphene
>>tfw micro nuclear fission
>>tfw nanotech

>> nuclear fission powered grapherene fan, tfw
>>
Two magnets against each other
>>
1. tie a skate board to multiple helium ballons

2. calculate the exact helium needed to lift the weight three centimetres

3. ensure the the change in atmospheric pressure three centimetres higher results in no further lift

4. ????????????????

5. Profit!
>>
what if you coat the bottom of a board in superfluid
now you're not hovering, you're just sliding frictionlessly
>>
>>7662113
>magnetic sidewalks
No way for this to go poorly right?
>>
You could do this with an EM drive actually.
>>
>>7658748
Umad?
>hemad
>>
>>7663272
Underrated post
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.