[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think is more difficult, /sci/? Get a native level
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
What do you think is more difficult, /sci/?

Get a native level in german or japanese or be really good with maths?

We see people learning new languages all time, but what about learning and acquiring that level of knowledge in math?

Does it takes the same effort? What do you think?
>>
>>7657082
Obviously different people are better at different things, but as a whole I would say math is harder for the average person. All people, no matter how bad at languages, can learn a language by putting in many hours of memorization and repetition. On the other hand, some people just really don't "get" math and for those select people memorizing formulas will never make them get a deep understanding of the subject-matter.

t. someone who speaks 8 languages despite absolutely sucking at anything non-STEM
>>
>>7657136
>speaks 8 languages
>on 4chan
why?
>>
>>7657174
memes
>>
If you speak English, then German is very easy to learn. I did it in high school to the point where I could converse fluently with the exchange students. Japanese is quite hard, however, and I've spent a decade and am barely literate.

Same goes for math. I rock at combinatorics and algebra and have published small papers in each field, but I am shit at analysis and can't do geometry beyond a high school level to save my life, despite having devoted massive amounts of time to each.
>>
There is no reasonable metric to measure the "difficulty" of learning two completely different things (especially considering that the brain learns languages in a far different way than it learns abstract concepts and just about anything else).

I also have no idea where one would begin to start drawing the lines in the sand of what constitutes "really good with maths."
>>
>>7657192
>fluently

you're completely oblivious are you
>>
Would love to know the ratio of difficulty between the two
>>
>move to a country
>spend 5 years there
congrats, you learned the language to nearly-native level, maybe except accent
>>
>>7657830

If you moved to a country where everyone was a mathematician, you'd learn math pretty quickly as well. Humans naturally do anything that will bring social benefit.

The difference is learning math is an exercise in alone time.
>>
> We see people learning new languages all time, but what about learning and acquiring that level of knowledge in math?

You do realize that mathematics is a language right? It's not a natural language like Deutsch or Nihongo, but more akin to a programming language like say C++ or Haskell.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
If a post contains illegal content, please click on its [Report] button and follow the instructions.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need information for a Poster - you need to contact them.
This website shows only archived content and is not affiliated with 4chan in any way.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 1XVgDnu36zCj97gLdeSwHMdiJaBkqhtMK