[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Things you do to annoy/troll undergraduates 1) Pronounce
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 5
File: 1446874200658.jpg (198 KB, 500x708) Image search: [Google]
1446874200658.jpg
198 KB, 500x708
ITT: Things you do to annoy/troll undergraduates
1) Pronounce Galois Gaylouis
2) Insist that you can use prove the chain rule with cancelation of fractions
3) Handwave hard proofs, go through easy proofs with infuriating detail
>>
>>7656787
Satan? Is that you?
>>
>>7656787
>[Any question about fundamentals that would take me less than a minute to review]
>Recall from [exact subsection/equation reference to a textbook in another course that they used 2 years ago].
I love watching them freeze up and error while considering that I'm expecting them to remember everything they learned in precise detail. The smart ones start panicking and reviewing, the rest just get depressed.
>>
>>7656787
>Hand wave hard proofs, go through easy proofs with infuriating detail.

Guilty as charged :^)
>>
Gahlwah Gay Loo e?
>>
I only remember how to say Galois because of an anon here a couple years back talked about the chair of his math department making a pun about how Galois theory was "Gal-wow theory".
>>
>>7657458
Gahlwah
>>
>>7657484

Oh ok. I thought his full name was Galois Gaylouis.
>>
>>7656787
>ITT: Things you do to annoy/troll undergraduates

>3) Handwave hard proofs, go through easy proofs with infuriating detail

Fuck you. I hope you drop out of your shitty graduate program.

Fuck you.
>>
>>7657512

As if Fermat didn't do the same.
>>
>>7657522

Fuck that nigga too. Good thing he's dead. His principle can suck a dick.
>>
are graduates students the most pathetic people on the planet?
>>
>>7657532
Yes, we are.
>>
File: 1332005437528.jpg (38 KB, 450x652) Image search: [Google]
1332005437528.jpg
38 KB, 450x652
>>7656787
>2) Insist that you can use prove the chain rule with cancelation of fractions

Oh God yes!
>>
>ITT: Things you do to annoy/troll undergraduates

Frequently mention prolonged study of mathematics will lead to the hollowing of your humanity.
>>
>>7656787
Call dirac's delta a function. This only triggers physicists though. Mathematicians will know it's just a speech shorthand and engineers will just nod through without noticing the subtlety.
>>
>>7657608
>This only triggers physicists though. Mathematicians will know it's just a speech shorthand
stop
>>
>>7657522

Fermat was a lawyer, math was just his hobby.
>>
>>7657608
>Call dirac's delta a function. This only triggers physicists though
No, they always add a "...but, it is not actually a 'function,' more accurately bla bla" to not trigger any mathematicians who may or may not be among the audience, and may or may not care.
>>
>recommend all the hardest, most pain-in-the-ass classes at your school as easy or essential
>>
>>7656787
I get the best grades in my Math class to ruin the curves.
>>
>>7657722
I'm getting switched out of my current math class to because it is to easy.
The teacher knows to.

But I wan't to get a 100% on one more test to ruin others idiot's grades.
>>
>>7657732
>to easy
>knows to
>to
>others idiot's
>>
>>7656787
>1) Pronounce Galois Gaylouis

I'm literally dying right now, probably waking up half of the house with my laughter.
>>
>>7658063
This is why I come to 4chan. You Americans do know that it's pronounced Gah-loah? Just checking.
>>
>>7658057
Kek
>>
If you troll undergraduates you are the reason the education system is so shitty.
Please die.
>>
All of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

What would GauB have to say about all this?
>>
Most grad students are actually really nice towards undergrads, much more than professors. Everyone in my department teaching or doing TA/recitations puts in way more hours than we get paid to do by the department.
>>
>>7658069
but it's pronounced gal-wah
>>
>>7657732
I remember high school
>>
>>7656787
I just have a very clear favorite student, I visibly resent the time I have to spend with anyone not equal to the favorite. Occasionally I present solutions of the favorite on the board, complimenting the favorite.
Whenever something like some stupid integral comes up (S cos from zero to pi or sth), I make a point of using mathematica to compute it.
>>
I always like to occasionally protonate everything in one step of a 7 or 8 step synthesis just to see if anyone notices. They never do, or if they do they never speak up. They just copy everything rote.

I have to grade exams for profs and teach lab/rec so i frequently see people protonate everything (even in extremely basic environments or when I've given pKa references for different functional groups) in the exact "troll" step.

Fucking premed kids.
>>
File: 1446316512513.jpg (9 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
1446316512513.jpg
9 KB, 260x194
>>7658057
Math........................

Iemno goood ate slpelling ore deam homophobs
and I never said I was.
>>
>>7658149
>teach kids how to do problem in a retarded way
>rage every time you see it used in exam
you are the most autistic, passive aggressive neckbeard I've ever met.
>>
>>7657417
>>7656787
do you like failing your students? wtf is wrong with you? they pay tens of thousands to listen to you waste their money?
>>
>>7658149

Another one in lab is that when the smart ones and the overachievers are rushing to get to the limited rotovaps, I usually help them out but when the idiots and the slow kids show up, I intentionally turn a blind eye or discretely heat up the baths so they bump repeatedly and have to clean the traps.

There was a postdoc a couple years back who was a fucking annoying french prick that I just could not stand. He was more pretentious than any PhD I've met at an ACS conference. I used to occasionally unscrew the pressure gauge and loosen the needle valve when I knew he was prepping a large batch to be dried and had to pull off something obnoxious like DCM, water, HCl, ether, or [spoiler]HMPA ;))))))[/spoiler].
>>
A classic

>What is it exactly you don't understand?
>I know I know, you just said that. Tell me what it is exactly you don't understand?
>What exactly do you mean by "I don't understand?" What don't you understand?
>>
>>7656787
I'm not the teacher but:
>Asian teacher has only Asian TAs
>they grade like Asians, anything better than perfect is 0, even if it was using .3 instead 3 in a question
>Russian teacher has 2/3 Asian TAs
>Russian teacher reads his own book in class, literally less than 10 people are attending lecture for a junior level Electromagnetism class
>ask teacher a question about homework
>he tells me to contact TA
>LITERALLY there is no contact information for them on syllabus, lab manual, or course page
>sends me TA info in email, tells TA it's obviously the students not paying attention for the reason there's no contact information
>homework is submitted digitally, graded harshly and takes a long time, people just copy each-other
>tests are graded softly, so you don't have to know anything
>every lab is literally graded 7-8/10, no explanation
>chink TA tells me I should feel privileged because being American means I get scholarships

>last semester
>apparently teacher was getting bad reviews for grading low
>basically gave my class A's, was absolute shit at teaching, repeated himself like 30 times each class, literally less than 6 hours of work for 9 problems over the course of the entire semester, no homework, no reading

>teachers give long ass homework that only people who don't work and can sit down and study for 6 hours in a row can do
>or just be popular and copy your friends
>realized today that to succeed you have to have an Asian upbringing or be a spoiled cunt

>meet a few pretty women who complain about having no money, living with their parents, and having no job
>both of them have long-term bfs and parents completely support them
It's literally like there's this huge divide between Asians, rich fags, cunts, and the rest of humanity.

>had class with new teacher coming out of Theater industry
>"strict" attendance policy
>not so strict because a quarter of the class misses like 10 days of classes
>class gets low grades because they're normalfag retards
>>
>>7658294
I didn't get to finish my post, but the Theater teacher got pretty heartbroken at how little students wanted to put into his class. Guy had a fucking Master's in Technical Theater (only like 3 universities in the country offer it), designed technical costumes in Vegas, and has some sort of license to analyze structures and safety shit for theater that only a handful of people get.
>>
I got everyone in my class to remember charles law and gay lussacs law.

If you combine the formulas, you get charles gay sack
>>
>tfw math freshman
>the fucking TA telling you HOW FUCKING EASY everything is

Fuck you, I bet you found proving compactness of sets easy the first time you saw it huh?
>>
>>7656787
>3) Handwave hard proofs, go through easy proofs with infuriating detail
i hope you choke
>>
>>7658149
i'm premed and if i saw you adding a proton in a highly basic solution in a lecture, i would silently kek
>>
In my differential equations class, my TA insisted she could find the antiderivative of [math]e^{-x^2}[/math] with some retarded formula she just made up. I think it was something like [math]\int f(x)g(x)dx=F(x)G(x)[/math] or some silly shit, and she didn't even realize it was wrong after I asked about it. Needless to say, that was the last time I bothered going to recitation.

I took graduate complex analysis the next year, and she was in the class with me. Still dense as fuck, but pretty hot desu.
>>
>>7658501
Your TA's answer to that question would probably be "yes", anon. Compactness isn't a hard concept to understand or work with.
>>
>>7658523
What the fuck is that formula
>>
>>7657417

>hey I don't totally understand this proof, so let me go over trivial shit with needless care to make myself look smarter
>>
>>7656787
3 is just wrong dude..
>>
>>7656787
>>7657417
>Handwave hard proofs
Wow, you are some faggots

>>7658127
>I just have a very clear favorite student

>>7658164
This.

So know I know people are actively trying to br dicks in undergrad for no fucking reason knowing that your students will likely never revisit your subject outside of academia.

Do you want to doom them to follow the same path of undergrad->unemployability->grad school->dicksucking->TA->dicksucking->community college prof->dicksucking->university prof?

Sick fucks
>>
>>7658294
>It's literally like there's this huge divide between Asians, rich fags, cunts, and the rest of humanity.

I go to a large state school with something like one of the largest populations of chinks and koreans in any American university, and Asians sure as hell like to band together. Since I'm a chink myself as well, I unwittingly got to become a part of this camaraderie - although there are obviously a lot of things questionable about it.

There was this one time where I went to my white TA who refused to sign my lab because I was something like 1 second late to class. The chink TA immediately swings by as soon as the white dude turns away and signs it anyway, saying something along the lines of, "We Asians gotta stick up for each other" in Mandarin which the white TA didn't understand at all. Then he invited me to eat dinner with like 5 other chinks in the class and we passed around tips, tricks and relatively unknown shortcuts to the rest of the labs. As a result, I could literally typically walk out of any lab session 1 hour earlier than everyone else. So that's definitely a perk - academically speaking. But there's more to come.

Typically every chink I meet falls into two categories - typically ridiculous Asian level smart, like walk out of the 2 hour exam in 30 minutes with a perfect score level smart - or dumb but really rich. There's this guy who is so rich he pays for my rent for 6 months and doesn't give a shit, and has like 3 fancy cars.

I just feel like it compensates for the fact that you people get to be able to work on stuff that requires government clearance, have access to scholarships and in-state tuition. So it all balances out in the end I guess.
>>
>>7658069
I thougth it was more like gal -loy

loy as in alloy
>>
>>7658168
>they pay tens of thousands to listen to you waste their money?
Any student who actually has to pay tuitition does not belong in the programme.
>>
>>7658279
>>7658149
Fucking hell why are O-chem TAs always the worst, most petty assholes on campus?
>>
>>7658294
>Europe
>Material Science department
>Literally no non-whites except exchanges
Kek
>>
>>7658623
>I just feel like it compensates for the fact that you people get to be able to work on stuff that requires government clearance, have access to scholarships and in-state tuition.
I love how non-whites try to justify their racism with ridiculously over the top racist assumptions.
>>
>>7659337
I love how non-whites try to justify their racism with ridiculously over the top racist assumptions.
I love how every race tries to justify their racism with ridiculously over the top racist assumptions.
>>
>>7658523
That equation is so wrong it hurts my brain

>triggered

Fucking integration by parts is not a difficult concept, and it wouldn't even work on that function to begin with
>I mad
>>
>>7659340
I feel like white racism is more refined and subtle.
>>
>>7658513
you're a hero

>>7659326

It's because we are the most overworked and less qualified. We learn more than a physicist will ever and our salaries are lower. No benefits too :)

"Don't get sick with those chemicals of yours or life is over. Oh, and by the way you will probably not find a job when you graduate."
>>
>>7659413
Why are you complaining? There are manual labourers that work under much shittier conditions than you who are paid even less.

O-chem is what it is because despite the amount of work required to get where you are most people are capable so the demand is low.

You're just entitled assholes jealous of physics and chemeng salaries because you think you're better than them despite the fact that even fucking technologists could do your job.
>>
>>7659438
Because you haven't been through organic grad school, you don't understand the conditions that we've worked under. It is worse than slave labor, with less than $4/hr wages based on the hours we work.

You have no idea what you are talking about and you are probably an undergrad spewing BS.
>>
>>7659353
Probably because you people tolerate it so much.

I had 3 white roommates for my first year. Whenever I bring up things that are unfair for white people, such as how white on black shootings are typically reported on national media whereas black on white shootings are typically don't get the same attention, all of them immediately started towing the PC line and bending over backwards.

I was disappointed since I was expecting at least a hint of anger or some emotion but there was only apathy before they started talking about video games and never getting married.
>>
>>7659914
only on 4chan do you hear white folks complaining about their lot in life. the reason most white people tow the PC line, is because deep down we know we still run this shit.

i bet you none of your room mates would trade places with you, or any other non white person, regardless of how great your life might be.

once you get into industry, you will figure out that racism and the white mans "good ol' boys" club is still very much alive.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqrCoyVK80I
>>
>>7659934
>a country's native inhabitants preferring to be around their own rather than rootless foreigner academic strivers is racism

:^)
>>
>>7659934
>only on 4chan do you hear white folks complaining about their lot in life
>if you're white you can't complain about anything because the very laws of nature prevent anyone from ever wronging you

You have to realize these identity politics of yours are *designed* to be diversionary and divisive. Whitey is the scapegoat for racial minority individuals the bourgeois state leaves out in the cold. Exactly the same way poor, disaffected whites are led to scapegoat "immigrants taking all the jobs" to the extent of ignoring the contradictions of global capital and local labor truly at fault.
>>
>>7659949
it lends itself to racist practices and attitudes, yeah. don't get me wrong though, i love it. feels good to know someone has my back.
>>
>>7659960
>Whitey is the scapegoat for racial minority individuals the bourgeois state leaves out in the cold.

if you have a degree, particularly a STEM degree. you ARE the bourgeois. literally the top 10% of the most powerful country in the world.

i think a lot of people on /sci/ take for granted their position in the overall social hierarchy.
>>
>>7659977
This
>>
>>7659934
Well it's quite obvious that white folks are privileged somewhat here due to the existence of the "good ol' boys" club. For example the average quality of the domestic admit is lower than that of the international China or India admit here. I'm sure the same holds for any significantly respectable university which gets its pick of the litter. The same can't be said, however, of those universities that excessively mass-admit internationals for funding.

When did I ever imply that any of my roommates would ever trade places with me? Two of them are in-staters with family in their hometown literally 2 hours away. They pay in-state tuition, making the opportunity cost of attending very low and have a family business to take over and don't really need to push that hard for their careers to break through. Hence all we really did back then together was play WoW or League all day. In contrast all the Asians on the floor below me were probably studying or someshit.

Speaking of industry, yes a lot of good jobs require security clearance and citizenship. Not sure if being white is exactly a requirement however. A friend of mine surprisingly got a job at a very conservative industry (oil) and works in Texas without a PR. He did know English well though, enough to pass as a first language, and isn't exactly Chinese or Indian. If you're talking Wall Street on the other hand, I'm sure the good ol' boy network isn't white, but rather Jewish.

Pretty much every nationality or race has its 'ol' boy' network. Hence all the Chinese Lamborghini owners go back to China to live with their daddy after getting their degree. Seeing that, I won't really blame white people for doing the same, but many of them choose not to due to wanting to tow the PC line causing them to include equal employment clauses and the like in their hiring policies.

If white people really were in control, maybe it's about time to lay the smackdown on those protesters at Yale or Mizzou.
>>
>>7660078
cont.

Anyway, all of this makes me really interested in how the next election is going to turn out, since it seems that the only candidate with any form of self respect for America in the traditional sense is Trump (or maybe Rand, not sure), since Trump doesn't give a fuck about PC. But all the white people on campus are busy cheering for Bernie for some reason... It's like they love fucking themselves in the ass.

At this point I don't even care about race anymore, but seeing a fellow burn down his own house makes me cringe. There's nothing I can do about it anyway, and I guess it doesn't really affect me, but still.
>>
>>7660085
Lol, the only people cheering for Sanders are college students. All white adults see him as a loon and are voting Trump.
>>
>>7660101
Yeah, but eventually these kids will become "adults" as well. What then?
>>
>>7660114
Once they grow up, they start voting straight ticket Republican and are embarrassed about their college political views. The only white people who don't do that are generally the failures (ex a bitter 32 year old unmarried chick with a masters degree in literature).
>>
>>7659977
>if you have a degree, particularly a STEM degree. you ARE the bourgeois. literally the top 10% of the most powerful country in the world.

You seem confused on the technical definition of that term, my friend.
>>
>a sociologically defined class, especially in contemporary times, referring to people with a certain cultural and financial capital belonging to the middle or upper stratum of the middle class: the upper (haute), middle (moyenne) and petty (petite) bourgeoisie (which are designated "the Bourgeoisie"). An affluent and often opulent stratum of the middle class (capitalist class) who stood opposite the proletariat class;

show me how i'm confused, friend.
>>
>>7657635
dude, almost anyone who finished college back then was a lawyer (among other things)
>>
>>7659325
go fuck yourself, parasite
>>
>>7656787

But you can :^)
>>
>>7659977
>If you have a degree, particularly a STEM degree. You ARE the bourgeois

You seem a little confused, friend. Bourgeois = middle class.
>>
>be undergraduate in community college
>thinking I give a shit about your nerd crap

Computer Engineer major, btw.
>>
>>7660165
A completely broke person with no connections and a degree doesn't fit that definition.

Are you trying to handwave the economic part away just because the word "cultural" shows up in the sentence?
>>
>>7656787
I don't get the point of this thread. Are you trying to say you're Professor that does annoying things on purpose, or a grad student that for some reason is talking to undergrads? Or are you a TA of some sort?

I really don't get the point of this thread.
>>
>>7660119
>a bitter 32 year old unmarried chick with a masters degree in literature

You'd be hard pressed to find evidence that that would be a shrinking demographic, I'm sure.
>>
>>7659498
>It is worse than slave labor
Then don't do it.

And no it's not, working in an air-conditioned lab and being paid any amount at all is not "worse than slave labor".

>you are probably an undergrad spewing BS.
I'm a postgrad in one of the fields you o-chem guys universally seem to have a chip on your shoulders with.

The way you treat undergrads in our department is abhorrent. I used to think it stemmed from this entitlement you have as an ochem TA directly bitched me about some undergrad not knowing some inconsequential factoid in his field and then through some leap of logic said that his earning potential should be higher because of this. However, I'm starting to thing that's just how you are to people in general, your toxic culture spread through conferences to other o-chem groups.

You guys should stop sucking in so much fumes and wake the fuck up, you don't have it nearly as bad as you think you do. You might be overworked, but you aren't underpaid based on neither your skillset nor demand. You are still paid more than grads in shitty lib arts fields etc.
>>
>>7659934
>because deep down we know we still run this shit.
That's racist nonsense. Most whitepeople are impotent poorfags.

>>7659914
White people bend over backwards because they have a culture of submission.
>>
>>7660078
>existence of the "good ol' boys" club.

Where is this club and where do I claim my benefits?

It doesn't exist. Most companies openly prefer to hire non-whites and non male and some countries constitutionally discriminate against hiring whites.

I'm tired of this racists bullshit telling me I'm not allowed to complain because I'm white.
>>
>>7660101

lmao

what a bubble world you live in
>>
>>7660238
>in community college
Why are you in /sci/?
>Computer Engineer major
No, you're "pre-CE".
>>
>>7660374
This thread is for TAs and the few lecturers we have to shit post in. You're not invited.
>>
>>7660613
That wasn't always the case though. Up until the end of WWII whites had an awareness of themselves and others, just like everyone else.

Definitely the thing that always stood out about white people in my opinion is openness to experience. On one hand it allows for change and exploration, but as we see today it's easy for someone or something to come along and cause whites to eat themselves.

I remember being weirded out by the fact that New Zealanders adopt the customs of the locals when I saw white people wearing face paint doing the Haka during my visit there. It also cracks me up whenever I see whites hanging around in a Chinese restaurant using chopsticks for EVERYTHING, even when eating soggy rice off a flat plate in some effort to be Asian or something. In reality the Asian thing to do would just be to grab a spoon or something. 10 points for effort however.

Now it seems like the latest rage is to adopt PC culture. No other ethnicity or culture can adopt this. Everyone else is straight to the point and doesn't really give a shit about being offensive. But white people just gobble that shit up for some reason, however.

>>7660617
Due to the way America is today, everyone, no matter what their color is, gets fucked in the ass someway or another. There's no escaping it really. Everyone has their privileges and disadvantages. That's just the way the world is and that's the way the world will always be.

At that point there are really two ways to react. You can take it out on everyone else and go full Yale/Mizzou retard. Or you can just accept it and move on.

Due to Disney movies and some really retarded drive to pursue the perfect world, most of us would be tempted to nitpick at every single thing wrong about the world and react in the former way.

Or you can simply not give a shit.

Look at it this way. You might not have the best odds being recruited by those companies, but you statistically have the best odds of being recruited on Tinder.
>>
>>7660617
That's what happens when you take race out of its class context. Put it back in it, and it'll become evident where the ol' boys are.
>>
>>7660639
>In reality the Asian thing to do would just be to grab a spoon or something.
Eating rice cubes is done with chop sticks, it's more of a Western sushi restaurant thing, but it's appropriate (and easy to do).
>>
>>7660639
>but you statistically have the best odds of being recruited on Tinder.
So my consolation prize is that a bunch of ugly/fat non-whites want my cock?

Meanwhile all the attractive, single white girls live out their Disney fantasies of being picked up by some un/fit/ trust fund baby.

My entire life I've had girls fall for me because of my looks only to realize I wasn't born into wealth, so they jump ship for the first Chad. Not that I blame them as an engineering salary <<< old family wealth. It would've been less cruel to be Black/Asian, at least then I wouldn't get my hopes up and crushed all the time.

I see what you're saying at all, but it seems like the only groups getting what they want nowadays are those who
A) Complain the loudest.
B) Burn the most shit down in riots etc.

I have nothing to look forward to anymore -can't even start my own company in this fucked political and economic climate- and then I have to read on the internet about how fucking privileged I am every goddamned day.
>>
>>7656787
>Convince them to get into academia
>Laugh when they ruin their lives
>>
File: 1436983226933.png (182 KB, 395x376) Image search: [Google]
1436983226933.png
182 KB, 395x376
>>7660746
>>
>>7660746
It's a sad reflection on life, when the most popular direction that people chose when I went to college was "social studies".
>>
>>7660746
hilarious. i'm gonna kill myself tonight
>>
>>7660165
>sociologically defined class
>capitalist class
Straight from the horse's mouth. Did you read what you copied?

Basically, private owners of the means of production. It's considered in the context of capitalist society which ties survival (at some level) to self-justification; those who by means of their capital need not self-justify (survive) with labor are the bourgeois. The "middle class" shtick is outmoded and comes from an era when government (monopolies on force) still acted to defend and protect the hereditary nobility, who were properly considered the "upper class" at the time, rather than industry.

Proletariat, of course, being the class of people who must in some way self-justify with their own labor.

The "bourgeois state" is actually one with a dual role of protection for the industrial and financial elite ("crony capitalism") and appeasement for the proles to forestall or prevent revolution. Modern history is well-understood through this framework. I do believe that freer markets are almost always better. Cronyism is actually the natural conclusion of free enterprise under a self-justification society - take for example drug cartels. Established wealthy businessmen collude in their mutual interest and gradually establish local monopolies on the use of force - makeshift governments - to protect their interests and oppose competition. In this case, it's important to realize that the call for shitting on freer markets is coming from inside the house. The Democratic and Republican parties disagree on purely tactical issues - talk of "fat cats" and "helping the poor" indicates greater appeasement (to one audience) and crippling regulations which hurt more larger industries less, talk of "limited government" represents less appeasement (to some,) more (to others,) and cocksure enthusiasm in the use of government force elsewhere (military use, defense cronyism, quixotic government programs like border walls.)
>>
>>7657685
That actually triggers me. See OPs point #3
>>
>>7656787
I was a microbiology TA. Tried not to troll anyone.

Although I took pleasure in being excessively stringent with grading for two people, who either put no effort, sabotaging their lab group, or were vitriolic to others.
>>
>>7660623
>Why are you in /sci/?

Same reason why this thread, which has nothing to do with science or Math, is here. To shit post.
>>
>>7656787
I do half of 3, handwave the idea of hard proofs, but it's because I want them to intuitively understand what they're doing, so I've tried to encourage kind of like a guided derivation of the proofs. I see too many maths students who can rattle off definitions and theorems but can't really explain what they represent. I was raised a physicist though, so this bothers a lot of my students, but personally I think a mathematician who can't give an alternative handwavey explanation is a mathematician who doesn't really understand what they've done. Only my opinion though. Some people like my teaching and some hate it.

And holy fuck do I wish I had a TA like her.
>>
>>7656787
If they're stupid enough to fall for that then they deserve to be trolled, congrats on wasting your life by becoming a professional academic tho, I'm sure that you'll get a Fields medal one day :^)
>>
>>7662399
Abbot's analysis book is like that, all the key exposition is done as a set of guided exercises.

>>7662415
Can't you by treating the dx_i as differential forms?
>>
>>7656787
>handwave hard proofs

my fucking professors do it all the time. Thing is, even I noticed it and I am retarded
Do they think it's actually smart or something?
>>
File: Image4.jpg (52 KB, 884x418) Image search: [Google]
Image4.jpg
52 KB, 884x418
Essential reading list
>>
>>7663039
Gee Banach...
>>
Any chemists still make melting gallium forks?
>>
>>7663390
too pricey and you get on a list for buying gallium elemental or gallates
>>
>>7661300
>Basically, private owners of the means of production

uh-huh. if the uprising ever happens, be sure to tell comrade tyrone and comrade cleetus that as they drag you from your mcmansion. they will totally welcome you into movement as one of the fellow oppressed.

also, means of production doesn't mean shit in a service based economy.

>>7660239
>Are you trying to handwave the economic part away

the average college graduate makes more than enough to qualify as middle class. do you think getting a degree is an everyday thing?

even with vast commercialization of secondary education, only 30% of the populace gets a degree of ANY KIND. thats including technical degrees and fly-by-night degree mills.
>>
>>7663583
Let's look at what you originally said.
>if you have a degree, particularly a STEM degree. you ARE the bourgeois. literally the top 10% of the most powerful country in the world.

You've gone from trying to claim all college graduates are middle class (which is laughable) to claiming at least half of them are (which hardly anyone will argue).

I mean, I'm glad you're no longer being retarded, but you should at least realize that you were doing it.
>>
>>7663721
half of ALL degree holders yes. this includes tech degrees and bullshit degrees like communications and underwater feminist theory.

when you narrow that down to STEM degree holders, the vast majority qualify as middle class.
>>
>>7663740
>when you narrow that down to STEM degree holders, the vast majority qualify as middle class.

This is not true. Most STEM degree holders are lower/working class. In the USA, that is.

30k/year is livable, but just that. Take into account inflation and you have yourself a housing crisis...just like in...oh wait it has happened 5 times since the depression huh
>>
To those saying college whites are rolling over when they support Bernie Sanders..I'm not against equality and you shouldn't be either. Trump will be two steps backwards in social advancement if he's elected.
>>
>>7663751
You might be swinging too far in the opposite direction there. Unless they're unable to find work or decide to try to grind through grad school, they'll be doing better than 30k.

30k's what someone with a two-year degree from a tech school would expect.
>>
>>7663751
>Overall, STEM occupations were high-paying occupations. The average annual wage for all STEM occupations was $77,880 in May 2009, and only 4 of the 97 STEM occupations had mean wages below the U.S. average of $43,460.

>http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2011/05/art1full.pdf
>>
>>7660214
like half of the workforce is a parasite though...
and you're likely a salesperson
>>
>>7660119
>voting republicunt
yeah we all know you facist pigs believe the economy is run on muh pride but voting for lower taxes so you can afford a slightly better car doesn't merit much respect
>>
>>7663771
>average annual wage for all STEM occupations
>occupations
Not enough by itself.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/most-with-college-stem-degrees-go-to-other-fields-of-work/2014/07/10/9aede466-084d-11e4-bbf1-cc51275e7f8f_story.html
>>
>>7663583
>comrade tyrone and comrade cleetus
Look who read the turner diaries

"Means of production" is definitely relevant in a service economy. It's still a matter of capital and who has it.

>fellow oppressed
M8 it's called reading comprehension.
>>
>>7657532
You have no idea.
>>
made a fb page in freshman year...

facebook
/humancauses
>>
>>7663775
>Being uncourteous
>Spurious accusations of fascism
>Muh taxes

Yep, typical left winger.
>>
>>7658294
>there's this huge divide between Asians,
>rich fags, cunts, and the rest of humanity
get used to it
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.