[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Biology lads IN
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: 1445908363788.jpg (247 KB, 936x960) Image search: [Google]
1445908363788.jpg
247 KB, 936x960
I think I may have dun goof'd.

Egg whites contain antibacterial lysozymes. I've designed an experiment where I'm going to put paper discs soaked in egg white solution into bacterial agar jelly dishes to see how potent the antibacterial effect is...

... but I didn't consider the fact that egg whites themselves are comprised of proteins and other nutrients which are food for bacteria.

Have I fucked up?
>>
>>7655860
yep. bacteria are just gonna grow. idiot.
>>
>>7655860
the fact that the eggs are full of nutritious/delicious proteins is exactly why the antibacterials are there in the first place - to fend off hungry parasprites. this experiment can show the effectiveness of these lysozymes in their egg drop soup served on paper plates, but if you want to find their effectiveness in other environments... well, you know.
>>
>>7655860
Don't see a problem with that. Even bacterial growth would be a result, just like the opposite (antibacterial effect).
>>
>>7655860
>introducing an anti-microbial solution into a nutrient solution
>with nutrients
what the fuck is the problem exactly?
>>
op you are a retard.
if you do an experiment and it doesn't work that doesn't make it a failure because you still have learned something.
if anything it gives you an opportunity to collect data with which to devise a new strategy with.
>>
>>7655887
What do you mean? Sorry I can't understand what your greentext is trying to say

>>7655870
According to Wikipedia lysozymes comprise 3.4% of egg whites. Do you reckon that would be enough for an antibacterial effect or would the bacteria reproduce too quickly?

>>7655876
>>7655909
No, my hypothesis and rationale is that egg white kills bacteria because of lysozymes. If my data shows the opposite then it will mean that I hadn't thought through my experiment properly and I'll get screwed.
>>
>>7655921
>If my data shows the opposite then it will mean that I hadn't thought through my experiment properly and I'll get screwed.
no, that means you disproved your hypothesis. the purpose of an experiment is not to prove a hypothesis, it is to determine the validity of that hypothesis.
>>
>>7655921

I don't think the lysozymes will have much effect while outside the egg. What I mean is, you can't compare the function of the enzyme while enclosed in the egg with how it might function on the outside.
>>
>>7655974
No mate, lysozomes kill bacteria. I just have an experiment where I haven't properly considered all control variables and therefore I'm going to be shafted if it doesn't work.
>>
>>7655994
H(null): egg whites have no effect on population growth in a bacterial culture
>>
>>7655994

Your best bet would have been extracting the enzyme and putting that in the paper discs, whole whites will just provide more nutrients for bacteria as you pointed out yourself.
>>
>>7655860
>put a human in a volcano
>"hey he might survive becquse we threw some bread in too"
>>
>>7656054
You probably don't know shit about science and you only came here to try and talk down to others
>>
>>7656009
True that, I've googled that and it seems too complicated though and I don't have the time or equipment. Oh well...
>>
It may be a problem, the lysosomes may be in a lower effective concentration than if they were in the original egg. I would say there is still a decent chance the paper discs will be untouched. Run the experiment. Do you have a control of untreated discs?
>>
>>7655860
I want to fuck the woman on the left.
>>
>>7656682
She looks a lot like an intern my biology teacher had in high school.

Though that probably wouldn't have occurred to me if this wasn't a biology thread.
>>
>>7656684
she looks like a child
that guy >>7656682 is a pervert
>>
>>7656723
Just the general vibe and features that were similar. And the picture is in a classroom setting.

Shows how associative memory works.
>>
>>7656724

nope >>7656723 is correct. >>7656682 is a perv

gal on the right is hawt tho
>>
>>7656730
I didn't say >>7656682 wasn't a perv.
>>
File: tipit.jpg (52 KB, 690x566) Image search: [Google]
tipit.jpg
52 KB, 690x566
>>7656723
>>7656730
>>
>>7656750
I do not know how to interpret a post like that. Is this a theist's reaction to said poster or is that guy an atheist himself? And is he an agnostic atheist or an anticlerical? And how many peer reviewed articles did he coauthor? If your intention actually is to ridicule atheists then why? Because you are one himself and you want to get rid of too many competitors? Because you are a Christian believer and wish to serve your faith by discriminating others? Or do you have a personal acquaintance with the person in the pic? Do you even posess a personal permission to post that image publicly all over the internet? Without any of this information the post is useless, also it should get deleted by a mod.
>>
>>7656009
Do ammonium sulphate precipitation. All you need are ammonium sulphate powder and ice and a stirrer. The fractions will be crude but you'll get rid of most things that you don't want. You don't even need to use a chromatography column. A large beaker will do using the batch method. You will need to look up the essay method for lysozyme to find out which fraction has your enzyme.
>>
>>7656723
>>7656730

>being attracted to a woman in her reproductive prime is being a pervert

how is this?
>>
>>7655870
>parasprites
>>>/mlp/
>>
I need some help from you Bio folks. Does the fetus have 46 chromosomes at all stages of development? Dumb question and I have no idea where else to take it.
>>
>>7658344

OK I'll help you. The embryo starts up as a zygote that has 52 chromosomes, then it duplicates it's genetic material so it has 104 chromosomes, this state is called tetraploidy.

Then these 104 chromosomes all exchange genetic material between themselves, then the zygote divides into two cells with 52 chromosomes each.

These "daughter zygotes" with 52 chromosomes then dump 6 chromosomes each. The daughter zygotes with 46 chromosomes start dividing, and all these cells form the fetus.
>>
>>7655921
>What do you mean? Sorry I can't understand what your greentext is trying to say

What he means is that you are using agar dishes, i.e. a growth medium whose sole purpose is to provide nutrients to whatever it is you're culturing, provided you're using the right growth medium for the specific type of bacteria you're using.

Imagine an African family in a house. Coincidentally, their house is gigantic and edible, with the exact nutritional composition that is optimal for their growth, meaning that they can eat their house to thrive. Now you come along and throw some tree bark shavings into the house; would you posit that the family would somehow get nutritional benefits from these shavings? I certainly would not.

---

As many other people have stated, you can't directly carry over effects from in-vivo to in-vitro experiments, but you can make reasonable assumptions in most cases.
>>
Why dont you perform consecutive experiments where you slowly remove the protein and record the bacterial growth?

I mean, chemistry is all about turning lemons into lemonade.
>>
>>7655860
Bacteria help the body in most cases, in most cases the surplus of good bacteria deprive the bad bacterias of much food.
>>
senpai
>>
>>7658344
Zygote is formed by the fusion of two haploid cells with 23 chromosomes each - e.g. sperm fertilizing egg. So the zygote is diploid, and will remain diploid (2n = 46 chromosomes) throughout development.
>>
>>7655860
Sort of. The experiment as described will evaluate the effects of egg white on bacterial growth; not the lysozymes alone. But your results will probably still be valid.
The egg white may contain nutrients, but if the lysozymes (or other components) of the egg white exhibit strong antimicrobial properties, the additional nutrients probably won't affect your results, as they would only represent a small contribution to the total amount of nutrients available on an agar plate.
Moreover, the presence of these additional nutrients is unlikely to interfere with lysozyme activity. Poison, even when mixed into food, will still kill you if you get enough in your system.
Ideally, you'd like to soak the paper disks in a purified lysozyme solution, but I'm guessing you don't have access to that.
>>
>>7655860

>eggs never go bad
pure genius, m8
>>
Maybe for your next experiment you should centrifuge egg whites into fractions and see if any of them contains the antimicrobe. I would also recommend using varying concentrations, to see what the effective concentration is.
>>
>experimtent doesn't produce the expected results
>it's a failure

What kind of retarded school do you go to where only experiments working as predicted are valid?

But as people said use a centrifuge or something to broaden the experiment and document the speed of bacterial growth.
>>
>>7655860
Nice eggsperiment
>>
>>7655860
>Biology

I thought this board was about science
>>
>>7663029
I thought you wanted to an hero
>>
File: 4b293dd8e1b.jpg (9 KB, 251x200) Image search: [Google]
4b293dd8e1b.jpg
9 KB, 251x200
>>7663029
>yfw muh engineering
>>
>>7663214
>calling eng science
>calling solver pure maths
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.