[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is sociology a science? Be honest /sci/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: 238953.jpg (28 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
238953.jpg
28 KB, 309x475
Is sociology a science? Be honest /sci/
>>
Social science sure.
As far as I know sociology is just psychology on a large scale.
>>
>>7653546
No
>>
File: scithread.jpg (20 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
scithread.jpg
20 KB, 500x332
>>7653546
No because it lacks a predictive aspect in a quantitative sense. Chemists and physicists can predict outcomes down to multiple decimal points.

Sociologists cannot accurately predict outcomes due to there being to many extraneous factors involved. They should be treated the same as the tarot card readers and astrologers.
>>
>>7653636
I dunno. In engineering people generally give up on trying to come up with predictive models and accept ballpark but nonpredictive models instead because the systems are too complex. Sociology should be compared to engineering, not tarot.
>>
>>7653546
Not a formal or natural science, but it does hold academic merit, as well as psychology. I'd put it a bit higher than economics and way higher than pseudoscience tier subjects like astrology.
>>
>>7653636
>anything with less certainty that physics is basically mysticism
Autism speaks.
>>
>>7653636
Please go up to the Sociology professors at your university and share your views. I'm sure they would gladly agree with you.
>>
>>7653636
>Sociologists cannot accurately predict outcomes due to there being to many extraneous factors involved. They should be treated the same as the tarot card readers and astrologers.

So you're saying because something isn't 100% accurate, it instantly becomes bunk? Sounds intelligent...
>>
File: 1446300641210.gif (1 MB, 197x200) Image search: [Google]
1446300641210.gif
1 MB, 197x200
>>7653636
>Sociologists cannot accurately predict outcomes due to there being to many extraneous factors involved.

So, biology and medicine aren't science, either.

Sounds legit.
>>
Sociology is not a science. Most of these sociologists they teach about thought up philosophies based on observation, not results based on experiment.
>>
>>7653981
Biology makes correct predictions all the time. Medicine is a practice and not a science, but even doctors, pharmacologists, and endocrinologists are more scientific than sociologists.
>>
No social science is really a science
It is empirical knowledge
>>
>>7655597
Can you show me a single sociological empirical fact?
>>
sociology is a science, but not very rigorous.
>>
File: IMG-20151109-WA0034.jpg (23 KB, 378x389) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151109-WA0034.jpg
23 KB, 378x389
If social scientists embraced, ironically, science and math instead of rambling in pseudo-intelectual bullshit we would've probably advanced much more. They dare to be called scientists and have whole schools of jerkoffs whi reject the scientific method, they reject rigour and they reject every single ounce of mathematical and empirical knowledge.

Why? Because the social scientist of the 20th century was the guy who failed all of their math and science classes. Those annoying cunts who complain about anything that has to do with math. Fucking anoying little pricks who were treated like some hot shit because they had some bullshit handwavy shit to say. Fuck them all to death.
>>
>>7655604
Societies tend to not accept murder or incest desu.
>>
File: ainsley4.jpg (60 KB, 400x582) Image search: [Google]
ainsley4.jpg
60 KB, 400x582
>>7653546
dont listen to them op it is a science
>>7653636
sociologists also research those "extraneous" factors
>>7654008
so dumb
sociologists dont stroll around the city and take notes, they do have a lot of experiments in an isolated environment

i used to mock sociology up until this point, but after i saw these moronic non sequitur arguments, i think im stopping with something so immature. thanks /b/
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.