[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he the smartest man to ever live?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14
File: 440px-JohnvonNeumann-LosAlamos.gif (121 KB, 440x574) Image search: [Google]
440px-JohnvonNeumann-LosAlamos.gif
121 KB, 440x574
Was he the smartest man to ever live?
>>
tesla as for he materialized many smart-mans theories. imho he was a good man too.

but now I can't tell anymore, since theoretic scientist keep redefining what absolute intelligence is...
>>
>>7650512
Make your own definition.
>>
>>7650509
Yes, he fucking was.
Now delete this dumb thread
>>
>>7650513

Well only the most intelligent being can say who is and who is not smart. since as for now, there are no natural rules for IQ.

Sadly I'm not the one.

My definition is that there is no smartest man, and that progression in intelligence is natural for all humans.

and that intelligence can only be measured by the ability to create flawless structures.
>>
>>7650521
That's a bunch of gibberish, anon. What you've said can be cleanly translated to "without absolute knowledge of the whole, and perfect objective perspective, it cannot be judged." It's a catch 22 to even imagine finding the individual you've described. It's a paradox.

Like I said, make your own definition. Some truths are better realized for and within oneself than attempted to standardize or communicate.
>>
>>7650509
>>The Goys have proved the following theorem
-John Von Neumann
>>
>>7650523

I will continue to verbalize paradoxes just for the sake of people who ask such retarded questions like "who was the smartest".

so who is the smartest in your opinion?
>>
>>7650547
I don't really have an opinion off the top of my head, of who is net most intelligent.

Intelligence is obviously relative. Something can't be intelligent without also having something to be intelligent about. I suppose my life has mainly been chronic pain and a sensation of entrapment and artificial limitation. I'm apt to like people who put in the effort, and have the interest and ability to sort through, compile, and use information to construct and perform meaningful experiments. People who obsessively iterate and are willing to be individualistically creative when trying to resolve how the actual nature of the topic, or the universal substrate itself.

Mainly I admire people who are me, but not me. I never did, or really could do shit. And now my interest has withered. Nothing is beautiful, it's just about ultimate utility with the hope that eventually beauty can be found in a frame where I choose to accept it.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 256x387) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 256x387
pic related was
>>
>>7650593
His helicopter didn't even work
>>
>>7650509

well he has the empty gaze of a bonafide autist

so I'd say chances are good
>>
>>7650593
>>>/g/et >>>/out/
>>
Nope
>>
>>7650509
Smart cannot be measure on a number scale.
>>
>>7650725
>what is iq
>>
>>7650726
>what is an outdated test
>>
Von Neumann, Gauss, Euler, and pic related, in increasing level of ability.
>>
>>7650749
That's not what Chebyshev looks like
>>
Donald B. Gillies was born in Toronto, Canada and attended the University of Toronto Schools, a laboratory school originally affiliated with the University. Students at this Ontario school skipped a year ahead and so he finished his 13th-grade studies at the age of 18.

Gillies attended the University of Toronto (1946–1950), intending to major in Languages and started his first semester taking seven different language courses. In his second semester he quickly switched back to majoring in Mathematics which was his love while in high school.

For graduate school, Gillies applied to the University of Illinois University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, which was "a very busy place building lots of computers". While he was there, he began working on the ORDVAC/Illiac I project. After one year of graduate school (1951), Gillies transferred to Princeton University to work with John von Neumann, at the urging of and also to be with John P. Mayberry, who was also studying under John von Neumann. Gillies and Mayberry were both arch-rivals and best friends,[2] and after Mayberry beat Gillies in the Putnam exam, each competed to finish their PhD degree first.

During his graduate studies, and after working with von Neumann, Gillies became a fan of the book "One-upmanship" by Stephen Potter. John von Neumann was also a fan of this work, and was extremely successful at impressing others with his intelligence. An apocryphal math problem asks about a bumble bee flying back and forth between two approaching trains, and how far did it fly before colliding? When von Neumann gave the correct answer, the questioner asked if he used a standard time/rate-of-travel trick, and he replied, 'no, I summed the infinite series in my head' to impress the questioner. This method of impressing and astonishing others appealed to both Gillies and von Neumann.
>>
no i am
>>
File: whatisthis.png (18 KB, 254x261) Image search: [Google]
whatisthis.png
18 KB, 254x261
>>7650785
Solve this triple integral then
>>
What about Terry Tao?
>>
>>7650798

I = [math]\int_0^2 \int_0^3 2 + 2y + 2z dy dz = \int_0^2 6 + 9 + 6z dz = 42[/math]
>>
I think Neil deGrase Tyson is because he is such a successful scientist despite society setting up roadblocks since he's black
>>
File: img445.gif (3 KB, 254x261) Image search: [Google]
img445.gif
3 KB, 254x261
>>7650807
Wrong
>>
>>7650809
Shouldn't it be 1/2 x^2 in the second line?
>>
>>7650826
idk I'm a sociologist I just found pic related on Google
>>
>At one point during his graduate studies, Von Neumann found out that Gillies had been spending time working on an Assembler (something that had not yet been invented). Von Neumann became enraged and told Gillies to stop work immediately because computers would never be used to perform such menial tasks.[3]
>>
>>7650826
yup
>>
>>7650827
Well, looking at it more, it should be 1/2 x^2, so the anon you replied to, who didn't show any work because that's a piss easy integral, is probably right.
>>
>>7650749
Wrong as fuck desu.

Newton>Gauss>Archimedes>Maxwell>Euler>Euclid
>>
>>7651032
>Newton
>even worth mentioning

only sperglords idolize that hack because he was one of them
>>
>>7651032
forgot the greatest inventor of all time: steve jobs
>>
>>7650562

So what is beauiful to you?
>>
File: 1441961241221.jpg (48 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1441961241221.jpg
48 KB, 499x499
>>7651044
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>Calculus
>Bi-nominal theorem
>The fucking laws of motion
>theory of colours of light
>telescopes

Newton quite clearly is the greatest mind to ever live desu.
>>
>>7651061
your mom
>>
File: 1418334862308s.jpg (8 KB, 172x185) Image search: [Google]
1418334862308s.jpg
8 KB, 172x185
>>7650749
>autistic indian man
>>
>>7650749
good answer
>>
>>7650509
that's a distinct possibility. An incredible intellect and died too young.

Does anyone think Ramanujan should be in the conversation?
>>
>>7650509
Can anyone try to measure intelligence on a scale. A person can simple enter who has the fastest mile and find the answer in 20 seconds. Meanwhile, intelligence on the other hand never has a answer. Who is the smartest threads are worthless. A person always gets a photo and a simple fact like this
>>7650749
which doesn't produce an interesting thread.
>>
File: standingontheshoulders.jpg (227 KB, 800x1015) Image search: [Google]
standingontheshoulders.jpg
227 KB, 800x1015
>>7650509
No.
>>
Augustin Louis cauchy was pretty good reinvented maths. He was a chauvinist though.
>>
File: Ahmed-Mohamed-Clock-2.jpg (61 KB, 730x486) Image search: [Google]
Ahmed-Mohamed-Clock-2.jpg
61 KB, 730x486
hi
>>
>>7651515
>Ramanujan
As much as I think he's one of the greatest mathematical geniuses of all time and the kind of man we'll probably never see again, I don't think he had the same kind of all-roundedness that von Neumann had. I would probably say if we're comparing people to him in his own field, I find it hard to compare him to anyone but Euler.
>>
>>7653470
Well, maybe Galois, actually. Those two seem kind of similar in a way.
>>
>>7653431
Kek
>>
>>7653523
It's just because they died early, it's the Kurt Cobain effect. Comparing either of them to Archimedes or Gauss is just kek as fuck
>>
>>7653523
>Galois died in a duel over a girl

pretty beta desu
>>
>>7653530
Not quite what I meant. I was more comparing Ramanujan and Galois because both of them came relatively out of the blue to make contributions that might not have been made at all if it weren't for them (though much more the case with Ramanujan). Since we're talking about raw talent rather than applicability, Ramanujan is certainly comparable to the likes of Gauss and Euler.
>>
People who are later regarded as geniuses like Newton, Tesla, Einstein and von Neumann tend to be lying sociopaths who hide the real means to their results and don't give credit to the people they steal from.
Take this story for example:
>Two bicyclists start twenty miles apart and head toward each other, each going at a steady rate of 10 mph. At the same time a fly that travels at a steady 15 mph starts from the front wheel of the southbound bicycle and flies to the front wheel of the northbound one, then turns around and flies to the front wheel of the southbound one again, and continues in this manner till he is crushed between the two front wheels. Question: what total distance did the fly cover? The slow way to find the answer is to calculate what distance the fly covers on the first, northbound, leg of the trip, then on the second, southbound, leg, then on the third, etc., etc., and, finally, to sum the infinite series so obtained. The quick way is to observe that the bicycles meet exactly one hour after their start, so that the fly had just an hour for his travels; the answer must therefore be 15 miles. When the question was put to von Neumann, he solved it in an instant, and thereby disappointed the questioner: "Oh, you must have heard the trick before!" "What trick?" asked von Neumann, "All I did was sum the geometric series."
Odds are he just knew the trick.
>>
No, Michael Faraday was.
>>
>>7653622
his PhD student confirmed this, von Neumann wanted to impress the teacher.
desu it's a really easy problem anyway

von Neumann also had a bit of a reputation for taking other people's ideas for himself
>>
>>7653626
Not sure if it is completely accurate, but looks like von Neumann was influenced by Turing's idea of a computer and built one. Turing's version I read was better but lacked the kind of funding Neumann had and von Neumann got the fame while Turing's fame withered away.
>>
>>7653542
Even taking into account applicability, wait until the theory of mock modular forms becomes fully developed to pass Ramanujan aside
>>
>>7653705
>Turing's fame withered away.
????
>>
>>7653705
von Neumann and Turing had not-insignificant interaction at Cambridge if I recall correctly
>>7653963
this
>>
>>7654077
Yes, almost no one knew about him other than mathematicians, until the retarded movie that was released on him recently.

Turing's solution to the decision problem paved way for modern computer science, but his work in other areas of mathematics is what got him noticed first. This isn't even mentioning his work in the war or after it with morphogenesis, building an actual computer, etc.
>>
>>7654077
To read more read about the history of ACE:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Computing_Engine

'On 19 February 1946 Turing presented a detailed paper to the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) Executive Committee[citation needed], giving the first reasonably complete design of a stored-program computer. However, because of the strict and long-lasting secrecy around the Bletchley Park work, he was prohibited (because of the Official Secrets Act) from explaining that he knew that his ideas could be implemented in an electronic device[citation needed]. The better-known EDVAC design presented in the First Draft of a Report on the EDVAC (dated June 30, 1945), by John von Neumann, who knew of Turing's theoretical work, received much publicity, despite its incomplete nature and questionable lack of attribution of the sources of some of the ideas.'
>>
File: 1408602361600.jpg (22 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
1408602361600.jpg
22 KB, 400x267
>>7651044
4/10 got me to reply

Newton is #1
>>
File: 800px-Andrew_wiles1-3[1].jpg (114 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
800px-Andrew_wiles1-3[1].jpg
114 KB, 800x1067
>>
>>7651032
>Newton above Gauss
Holy shit no
>>
He was scary fucking smart, but I think he also liked to trick people into thinking he was smarter than he was, and I believe that some of his tricks are learnable.

He had a couple of idiot savant tricks. One was to memorize long written works word for word. Another was very fast mental math.

Both of these are runaway skills. At first, and for a long time, you'll be totally useless at them, and so their pursuit will be fruitless and disheartening. But once it gets to the point of being useful, you'll want to use them constantly, and as you gain skill you'll be able to do it faster and faster, and so you'll be able to get more practice in the same time.

I think part of it was spending time in situations with not enough books, and not enough time with books. He'd memorize a passage verbatim when he had time with a book he wanted to understand so he could look it up when he had time with a dictionary, other reference, or a better-informed person. He'd also remember the page numbers so he could go directly back to the passage he was working on.

I experienced a little of this kind of skill development when I was in a situation where I had to read and understand a complicated law. I never got anywhere near his level, but I could see that I would get much better at it if I continued for years.

This memorization of exact passages would help develop mental scrap paper, for doing complicated math in his head. Just the mechanical act of writing things down limits your speed and discourages the development of faster math skills. Math is mostly about practice. The faster you can practice, the more practice you can get in the same time, so the more quickly your skills can develop.
>>
>>7651044
>Invented physics
>Actualized what Galileo and Aristotle tried to do
>not worth mentioning
Though I do think Leibniz might have been superior
>>
this thread is making me pretty fucking insecure pls help
>>
>>7654200
Leibniz has got to be one of the smartest men ever desu senpai
>>
>>7654189
I believe one last key to his skill development was the use of slide rules.

Slide rules are mechanically very simple, and there were a variety of settings for different functions like sine, tangent, exponents, and logarithms. If you can form clear visual pictures of the markings on slide rules, and you can visualize them moving past each other, you can simply visualize the results of such calculations, bypassing any laborious symbolic process of thought.

It's like memorizing the times tables, but far more useful for rough calculations.

So anyway, I think a lot of the preternatural capabilities ascribed to von Neumann were simply products of repetition, skills that many other people would be capable of, but few cultivate.
>>
>>7654150
an admirable, very smart, man but not in the same league as Gauss Euler ect..
>>
>>7650509
Not even close; it was the guy with the enormous wig.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 220x228) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 220x228
>>
>>7654124
>Yes, almost no one knew about him other than mathematicians, until the retarded movie that was released on him recently.
0/10 bait
>>
>>7654316
Yeah, just about everyone who learns to program knows who Alan "Big Gay Al" Turing was.
>>
>>7650755
>>7653622
>>7653626

I don't know why there's so much salt about von Neumann tricking people into thinking he was a literal supercomputer or something.

feynman did the same shit by memorizing all those logarithmic equations.

makes me like him even more desu
>>
>>7650513
>>7650521

A culmination of the abilities to perceive, formulate, and manipulate any given to a goal state.
>>
>>7650509
His most famous proof is wrong. Alleged proof that a hidden variables theory of quantum mechanics is impossible. Then Bohm created such a theory. BTFO.

It turns out he had a hidden assumption.

ego /= talent.
>>
>>7654447
smarty, quantum mechanics undergrad isn't going to get me rich, is it?
>>
>>7650512
There's no such thing.
We're not standing on the shoulders of giants. Humans are a bunch of retarded midgets, stuck in the bottom of a black pit and scrambling blindly up one another to create a human ladder.
>>
>>7654549
It's the big show, oh it's the big show. Three inch horses, watch em drown in the tar pits, kneelin' down. They see us talking out the sides of our mouths. Two faced monsters.
>>
>>7654389
I've summed infinite series in my head, I did that to answer that exact same question actually, not hard to tell often when a number is converging to an integer.

Though recently I was daydreaming in class and wanted to write as many decimals of various numbers in binary and it felt like lightning struck when after a few seconds I realized 1/3 is 11.010101....

It's easy to prove and looks obvious but "seeing" the sum was pretty cool
>>
>>7650509
Also no, Euler wins that contest hands down
>>
>>7654608
Sorry I meant 3 1/3. Or ignore the 11 before the decimal point. My memory doesn't fact check itself.
>>
>>7654204
That's okay anon, you exist to make us smart, otherwise there would be no curve
>>
>>7653622
I did that as a child by noticing the geometric sum converged on seemingly one point. It seemed obvious and I was right. I was surprised when it told me the simple method desu

People think it's hard but it's not. I mean you can eliminate tricky sums off the bat because they won't give you an irrational sum or anything on a dumbass smartass trivia question any way so it has to converge to an integer
>>
>>7650509
Why would Nixon be the smartest man to ever live? Wtf /sci/?
>>
>>7654361
before the movie Turing was used to introduce computational complexity but never mentioned who he was personally. Most people in my theoretical cs class had never heard of him. After the movie, there has been an explosion is stopping to talk about who he was etc. in both the computer science community and general layman. Pre-2010 ask how many people knew of Turing. Not many, besides mathematicians and computer scientist. Post-2015 ask how many people know of Turing. Everyone.

You are only considering the fact he is so commonly known now because you can perceive outside your world view there once was a period where he was an unknown figure to most people.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.