[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ridiculously large coincidence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1445641813744.jpg (326 KB, 2656x712) Image search: [Google]
1445641813744.jpg
326 KB, 2656x712
So I was playing around on SpaceEngine on my very mediocre PC and came across this view which I thought looked pretty cool so I screenshotted it (the image on the left). A day or so later I was watching SpaceEngine videos on YouTube and came across a video with the image on the right on it. I looked for the coordinates on the video but there was nothing there.

What are the chances of this? I couldn't believe it when I saw it, it's undeniably the same view, the chances of this are miniscule right? Am I the only one absolutely amazed by this?
>>
>>7646981
That's pretty cool.
>>
>>7646981
why is this a big deal? never used spaceengine
>>
>>7647535

The universe in SpaceEngine is approximately the same size as the observable universe.
>>
>>7647541
does it not repeat? how is it generated?
>>
>>7646981
wait so you found the same planet as someone else?
>>
>>7647546
>>7647541
if its truly random that's insane
>>
>>7646981
>large coincidence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4wPaBNryA
>>
>>7647546
It's based on real data. Probably some heuristic is used to seed and guide the random generator for planets depending on their mass, distance from their star, number of moons, other planets nearby, the actual class of that star, and using any spectrographic data available to tell about its composition.

Not sure if that's how it works, but I do know the observable universe is based off... present observations. Beyond that it's purely extrapolated. Eventually you just hit a black void.
>>
>>7646981
If only we had quints in this thread too
>>
>>7646981
I only heard about SpaceEngine, but I never used it nor do I know how it works, so please clarify a few things. Firstly, how do you get to a certain planet in it? Does it give you a list of existing planets within specific systems and galaxies or do you ask to be transported to a planet randomly? Also, how long do you have to wait until that specific setting involving the three most important celestial bodies in the picture are in those positions? The likelihood of this event happening can be roughly calculated, if we make some simple assumptions;
>>
>>7646981

Checked

I guess
>>
>>7647888
Not OP, but there are a number of ways it works.

The first is you can fly there manually. There's a speed control that ranges from a few fps, to many AU. You can manually click on a star anywhere in your field of vision and rapidly travel there. You can look up a logbook of systems you've already traveled to... and maybe manually specify a given system, I don't recall.

It's very difficult to even travel around a solar system without losing the star or any anchor point, though. It's easier to just engage the hierarchical menu that displays features of a given area (ie star, planets, moons of those planets).

Also, I have a feeling the speed control is actually changing the size of the player. Speed is likely fixed.
>>
>>7647549

OP took pretty much the exact same picture, so from the same angle at the same location and possibly during the same period in the orbits of all 3 bodies if SpaceEngine has orbital mechanics. The probability of that randomly occurring is preeeeeeeeeeeeeetty low.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.