[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old vs new textbooks.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: math.jpg (249 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
math.jpg
249 KB, 1200x1200
I found some really old Maths textbooks in my local second-hand book shop recently. Some go back as far as the 1920s. They seem to explain Maths better to me than the newer textbooks, but they lack the colour of newer textbooks. Colour helps me remember stuff better.

So, what's better /sci/: Older or newer textbooks.
>>
>>7646582
Generally older because they didn't fuck around with the explanations (plus they were shorter because of that) but if you need the fancy shit, you need the fancy shit.

/thread
>>
>>7646582
old textbooks. They were good at explaining concepts and how to solve it. They didn't go off in a tangent of some stupid story you don't need to know. New textbooks put pretty pictures and useless explanations without explaining what the author is doing and why its solved this way.
>>
>>7646582
Old text books. Not only old text books but old scientific movies explain shit in a very crystal clear manner.
>>
Dover books are great.
>>
Anybody got any scans of these types of books?
>>
Newer books.

If you solve all the practice problems, you'll actually learn a lot of things. They often mention things that are currently relevant in other disciplines. For example, doing the exercises in a new math book may teach you how to solve certain physics problems, and let you know that they exist.
>>
>>7646679
>Not only old text books but old scientific movies explain shit in a very crystal clear manner.
This. I watch a lot of old documentaries and they explain shit very clearly. Today its just people throwing off buzzwords and putting CGI graphics.
>>7646719
Dover books are awesome, and a great way to self-learn.
>>
>>7646582
Math textbooks from the 1960s were the best. they've been on decline ever since.
>>
ITT: le wrong generation xD fags
>>
>>7646786
>classical mechanics hasn't really changed in hundreds of years
>spending 250$ for the 188th edition of some plug n chug manual
>instead of <10$ for an actual book on the topic
>>
File: 6481941-L.jpg (14 KB, 314x500) Image search: [Google]
6481941-L.jpg
14 KB, 314x500
>>7646582

95 years later and this still is the best book on special functions.
>>
>>7646817
>92% of teens have turned to plug and chug methods and rote understanding, if you are one of the 8% who still does REAL MATH and REAL CLASSICAL MECAHNICS, copy paste this
yeah, totally not a le wrong generation fag at all
>>
>>7646817
>>classical mechanics hasn't really changed in hundreds of years

Classical mechanics has only been around for a couple of centuries.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.