[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the point of mathematics? What drives it forward? Why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
What is the point of mathematics?
What drives it forward? Why do people do it without a usage (in reality) for it?
>>
>>7639875
>What is the point of mathematics?
it's a useful tool
>What drives it forward?
autism
>Why do people do it without a usage (in reality) for it?
autism
>>
>>7639875
Why do people climb Mount Everest? Why do people get good at anything that doesn't have a practical application? It tickles their senses in a way they can't get otherwise.
>>
>>7639896
I agree partly. Many problems that math asks weren't there in the first place. Someone had to think of them first. And while your sense can "be tickled" by solving problems i dont think that making up problems does so.
>>
Most of mathematics has application in the sciences. And somtiems something that has been useless for decades is found to have a huge impact on a newly discovered field.

People who aren't in academia just have no insight what real mathematics is and how it's applied.
>>
File: 1445898448748.jpg (29 KB, 443x465) Image search: [Google]
1445898448748.jpg
29 KB, 443x465
>all these people do maths only as a tool

Because pure mathematics ("pure" as in "with proofs and without faggy calculations") is beautiful. I can't explain it senpai, it just interests me. Just like sport, art, etc. do for different people.
>>
>>7639957
this post is overflowing with autism
>>
>>7639970
>it's autistic to like things
>>
>>7639974
>muh pure beautiful math
>anime
>senpai
seriously fuck off
>>
>>7639957
>>7639974

It also sounds like you don't know shit.

>"pure" as in "proofs without faggy calculations"

what a dumb, not to mention wrong, way to define pure math.
>>
>>7639957
>Implying an animetard could into anything math related
>>
>>7640126
inb4 "I fucking love math" takes off and we get pop-math worshippers
>>
>>7640135
is this your first day here? that's literally /sci/
>>
>>7640137
/sci/ isn't something to be taken seriously. Until I see those people in person I won't believe they exist.
>>
File: 1423234976088.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1423234976088.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>>7639978
the word Fa(x)m is filtered, its replaced to senpai
>>
Main reasons for me,
-Extreme interest fueled probably by autism
-Abstract concepts that can be applied to practically everything
-A universal language that explains that which is observed and that which isn't
-More autism
>>
File: 1446334245570.jpg (95 KB, 724x720) Image search: [Google]
1446334245570.jpg
95 KB, 724x720
>>7639979
Yeah, I phrased it bad. Should have said "serious, nonpleb math".

Also

>> 7640126

>posting this on an anime website
>>
>>7640149
u wot senpai
>>
As far as i know, even in calculus one I'm baby tier compared to the maths my professor is working on his Ph.D. on.

He's working on how to eliminate infinitesimals in calculations having to do with decreasing the size of transisters on chips that are smaller than 32 nm. I dont even fucking know how he does that and teach 4 calculus classes a week.
>>
File: WInBest.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WInBest.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Math is used to make philosophical theories like the age of the universe or how much chickens hanging from tha tree

so math is an abstraction of the visual both real and Imagine, like letters are used to make sound into an abstraction so it can be written.
>>
>>7639875

It's beautiful
It makes you more intelligent
It's amazingly and unreasonably applicable
>>
>>7640250
I find mathematics to look beautiful, but feel ugly.
>>
As it's been said before, it happens quite often that a maths concept that used to be considered very abstract and useless finds an application in another science.
For instance, consider imaginary numbers. At first it was just some mathematician's play toy and now it's our best tool to study periodicity and waves.

But most mathematicians, even though they probably feel good when what they do can help humanity, study maths out of passion. Because they like the challenge, because the think it's beautiful.

Earlier in this thread, maths were also compared to climbing Mt Everest. That's very true. Humans are conquerors. We climb every mountain on earth, we walk on the moon. Our hunger for conquest knows no boundary and maths is a huge world for us to explore.

tl;dr Maths are useful but mathematicians are mainly driven by autism.
>>
>>7640299
I find mathematics to be stroking my cock, and feeling delightful.
>>
>>7640149
senpai
>>
>>7639978

sm[math][/math]h t[math][/math]bh f[math][/math]am
>>
>>7639896
Bad example. Climbing Mount Everest looks fucking amazing, while doing maths suck. You suck.
>>
>>7641053
A poorly framed example, yeah. I mean even somebody who is inclined to find beauty in math isn't going to be that thrilled by everything in it, only certain things.
>>
>>7640935

They don't work? Testing:

kek desu baka senpai
>>
>>7640149
Cool senpai.
>>
>>7639875
There are a lot of real uses for math. It started out primarily as a tool for describing things about the world, and from there abstractions were made to expand the scope of familiar methods and clearly define which sorts of problems they apply to. Even when certain developments seem useless for the time being, they still all show (simplifying) that B follows from A. A lot of more modern applications such as simple, general modeling of a wide range of transport phenomena with fractional calculus, cryptography from number theory, nonstandard analytic approaches to Navier-Stokes, etc. have emerged as happy accidents from seemingly purposeless pure math constructs.

It's useful to think of it as a nuanced, complex tool for solving problems we may not know about by establishing fundamental truths independent from the physical world.
>>
>>7639875
>What is the point of mathematics
Without it we wouldn't be living the same way we do today
>What drives it forward
The same thing that drives liberal arts majors like feminism and philosophy
>Why do people do it without a usage for it?
Same as above

Pure mathematics is pretty fucking extraordinary. It's the same feeling you get when someone in engrish class writes a haiku and they're all happy and shit because they felt they've created something
>b-but mathematics isn't gonna be a crucial study to whatever I work in later in life
Yeah well the same thing could be argued for proper english grammar and literature. Yet your happy ass has no problem with analyzing the color blue or disproving an interpretation of the color blue. It doesn't matter though because they're just photons.
>>
>>7639875
you can start to command massive amounts of data with comparatively simple means, and know definitively qualitative and quantitative facts about that data, be it organization of space, solutions to equations, ways to construct objects out of other given particular restrictions, and manipulate complex numerical and geometric systems in powerful ways.

and especially since it all seems to constantly be pointing towards deeper reasons all of these objectives are necessarily related and unified by simpler more abstract properties, it becomes very tempting to continue to push its limits, and to complete conjectures which often makes clearer the picture as a whole.
>>
>>7639875

In the most basic sense maths is a tool. Math first started as fractions way back when to divide resources amongst people/families/groups.
2/3rds of the crop harvest goes to the people in the north 1/3 goes to the people in the south. From that 2/3, 1/6th goes to x family, 1/6 to to y family etc.

Not sure if 100% true but the oldest written text known to man was about beer rations being split up evenly amongst the people
>>
Initially, math was basically created for division of resources and trading, so economics.

Economics is still the driving force of mathematics today. There's money in math, therefore math.
>>
>>7640935
senpai desu baka senpai desu baka
>>
>>7639907
> I don't think that making up problems does so.
Yes it does.
>>
>>7639875
Blueprints for creation.
>What drives it forward?
Autistic people.
>Why do people do it without a usage (in reality) for it?
Nothing else to do.

I'm not even a math guy.
>>
>>7639957
>weeb
>being proficient at anything
Link us your papers faggot.
>>
File: 1444176220446.jpg (40 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1444176220446.jpg
40 KB, 500x334
baka desu senpai
>>
DESU BAKA SENPAI FAG
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.