[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the highest compression ratio that I could get out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: compression.jpg (121 KB, 1070x756) Image search: [Google]
compression.jpg
121 KB, 1070x756
What's the highest compression ratio that I could get out of a plastic compressor? I want to 3D print a centrifugal one. I intend to put this value into pic related in order to find out what flow rate I can get from a given power input. My book said centrifuges compress air isentropically so I worked with that.
>>
>>7637988
>My book said centrifuges compress air isentropically so I worked with that.

they don't. thats a simplifying assumption made for intro thermodynamics classes. you haven't gotten to the part about isentropic efficiency yet.

designing turbomachinery to spec is hard m8. you are better off just slapping something together in solid works with a 45 degree vane angle and figuring shit out empirically.

ie, build it first, then sort the math out based on what you have.
>>
>>7638001
>isentropic efficiency
Tell me more, my book says nothing about this.
> figuring shit out empirically.
Of course I'll take readings from the finished product but I need to know if it's feasible first before building anything. 3D printing filament is actually quite expensive, ball bearings even more so. Just need a rough idea
>>
>>7638001
Plus I can over-engineer to compensate for using a basic theory. Theory says x, make it 1.5x
>>
File: Philo_T._Farnsworth.gif (52 KB, 490x335) Image search: [Google]
Philo_T._Farnsworth.gif
52 KB, 490x335
>>7638013
>Tell me more, my book says nothing about this.

pretty much every thing you are learning is an approximation. in practice there are a million little empirically derived constants you have to find in a chart somewhere if you want your numbers to be accurate enough to build a machine that gives you specific outputs.

so look, man. i'm guessing you are an engineering student, so i'm going to tell you how an engineer would figure this out.

build the fucking thing in solidworks, then run it through the flow simulator with whatever goals you want set up. this is standard cubicle jockey shit.
>>
File: compressor.jpg (133 KB, 1278x930) Image search: [Google]
compressor.jpg
133 KB, 1278x930
>>7638035
>pretty much every thing you are learning is an approximation
Yeah I gathered this a while ago. Ironically the book I'm using is a cubicle jockey's engineering data book and it has pic related in it, is that more relevant?
>solidworks, then run it through the flow simulator
I am not a student therefore I can't afford solidworks (no discount), I use a budget CAD with no CFD capability. I tried to learn CFD (openfoam) for this ducted fan I was making but it was arcane as fuck, literally all coding so I've been sticking with library books since then. Just as you said it boiled down to plugging empirical airfoil constants into a simple equation. CFD isn't very retard-friendly.
>>
>>7638093
>can't afford
pirate it. its alot of fun.
>>
File: sky.jpg (46 KB, 930x483) Image search: [Google]
sky.jpg
46 KB, 930x483
>>7638100
JUST
>>
>>7638093
Most schools have licensed copies of solid works and other cad tools.
>>
>>7638396
i
am not
a
stuuuudent
>>
If /sci/ is interested I can post the finished product when it's done
>>
>>7638116
Who the fuck is the High Court?
>>
>>7638435
>USA is the world
>Federal court is the only court
>>
>>7638116
Get a tor browser fellow UKfag. Can browse clear net on it and get around all these nazi block lists.
>>
>>7638493
ok thanks for the advice
>>
>>7638396
If I joined some engineering society could I get Solidworks that way? I know you can pay to join if you're not a student.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.