[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are the astronomers so lame? It is likely that there is a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: Oort-Cloud.jpg (491 KB, 1000x882) Image search: [Google]
Oort-Cloud.jpg
491 KB, 1000x882
Why are the astronomers so lame? It is likely that there is a gas giant in the Oort cloud and yet none of them can spot it.
>>
It is likely....
{citation needed}
>>
>>7636753

you wouldn't be able to see the tiny planetesimals 2 light years away...

it's like the asteroid belt. people think of it as some dense field of asteroids but the whole asteroid belt's mass is ~4% the mass of the Moon...

it's just a region that contains a lot of asteroids
>>
>>7636753
We have to find the Oort cloud first punkass. As of right now it is still just a theory. No major physical evidence has been presented to confirm its existence
>>
File: beyond.png (59 KB, 607x340) Image search: [Google]
beyond.png
59 KB, 607x340
>>7636753
>a gas giant in the Oort cloud
Two of them, one (at some 9000 AU) is about half the size of Jupiter and the other (at 17000 AU) is about 60% the size of Neptune. Both are in the outer (spherical) part of the Oort Cloud. There's also a solid matter planet at 6000 AU which is about 90% the size of Earth. Plus a Brown Dwarf. Source: Aliens.
>>
>>7637339
I never understand this theory that aliens are on planet X. Surely that far from the Sun there is not enough heat to support life?
>>
>>7637713
I think the idea is aliens from outside the solar system make an outpost there.
But that's probably born out of silly ideas like the planets being neatly lined up.
>>
Probably because the only way we know planets outside of our solar system exist is because of the wobble technique, which requires a star.
>>
>>7636769
yet he doesn't bother to look into it either. good job smart boi
>>
>>7637713
>Aliens are on planet X
Thats so fucking nonsensical I can only imagine the people saying that are the same people talking about extraterrestrial lifeforms as though they're angels demons and deities.
Hrghghthrr.
>>
>>7637843
>There are no aliens in the Solar System
>>
File: img_1201968_34957958_0.jpg (49 KB, 495x708) Image search: [Google]
img_1201968_34957958_0.jpg
49 KB, 495x708
>>7637849
>thinking there are aliens in the solar system
>>
>>7637864
>gorillions of cubic miles
>no aliens
Nigga even NASA thinks that there could be aliens on Europa
>>
>>7637895
Gorillions of cubic miles of absolute nothing. They think there could be microbes or microscopic multicellular organisms on europa, those kinds of aliens sure.
But there is no extraterrestrial life that isn't so small and quiet as that. There are no cries of, "Ayy lmao" echoing through our star system.
>>
>>7637901
>Moving the goalposts
You declared that there are no aliens anywhere in the Solar System. I pointed out the mainstream belief that there could be aliens on Europa, you come out with "hurr they don't count because they don't have flying saucers!"
>>
This got me thinking.

What is the probability of planet sized objects forming in interstellar space?

I mean should we be expecting to find many cold gas giants far away from stars or virtually none?

Surely many accretion disks can form without resulting in enough mass for a star right?
>>
>>7636753
Just do it yourself bro and collect your honorary PhD from Reddit university.

A 10" Dobsonian telescope with an iphone camera pointed at the eyepiece should be all it takes.
>>
>>7637910
Also the thought makes me extremely uneasy for some odd reason I can't explain.
>>
>>7637895
>Nigga even NASA thinks that there could be aliens on Europa
When you say "aliens" it doesn't really imply bacteria, or even space-squids.
It implies they build stuff like flying saucers.
>>
>>7637910
They're real, called rogue planets
>>7637915
yeah orbit-less planets wandering through the vast dark of space completely alone creep me out too.
>>
>>7637917
No aliens imply extraterrestrial life which includes bacteria and space-squids. Just admit that you got caught out badly.
>>
>>7637904
>Inventing an agreement about assumptions that we never made
>so you can pretend a fallacy was made and act like a pretentious cunt.
I assumed we were talking about flying saucer aliens, nigger. Communicating poorly doesnt make you smart, in fact, it makes you retarded.
>>
>>7637919
That wasnt me. Everyone else just agrees the original subject seemed to be ayy's.
>>
>>7637932
>I assumed
There's your problem.
>"African means Sub-Saharan!"
>"Asian means Far-Eastern!"
>"Alien means flying saucer!"
How about you just learn English properly?
>>
>>7637949
Words have connotations. Cry moar.
>>
>>7637952
Connotations are not definitions.
>>
>>7637918
Thank you for the key word. It's weird the probability of encountering one of these during interstellar is -astronomically- low, yet the fact that it's there is just unsettling.

Also reading up on this freaked me out even more
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_planet#Retention_of_heat_in_interstellar_space
>It is calculated that, for an Earth-sized object at a kilobar hydrogen atmospheric pressures in which a convective gas adiabat has formed, geothermal energy from residual core radioisotope decay will be sufficient to heat the surface to temperatures above the melting point of water.[14] Thus, it is proposed that interstellar planetary bodies with extensive liquid-water oceans may exist. It is further suggested that these planets are likely to remain geologically active for long periods, providing a geodynamo-created protective magnetosphere and possible sea floor volcanism which could provide an energy source for life.
>>
Reminder that the Oort Cloud has never been observed.
>>
>>7637961
So does this mean an Earth sized planet in the Oort Cloud could have oceans?
>>7637958
>I have run out of arguments
>>
>>7637994
>So does this mean an Earth sized planet in the Oort Cloud could have oceans?
Apparently so. I was pretty surprised at the results but based on the assumptions they made such a system would be short lived I think.
>>
>>7637999
There's so much shit out there man, We need EM drive to work so badly it's not even funny.
>>
>>7638024
We don't need a drive, we need better telescopes.
>>
>>7638031
>implying telescopes will ever see as good as New Horizons did
>Implying telescopes can sample the lifeforms out there
>>
>>7638067
New Horizons wouldn't have done shit without the work of telescopes.
You can't just send probes out there blind no matter how amazing your engines are.
>>
>>7636753

not completely sure, but i think i read somewhere that based on the study of the orbits of the outer planets they have excluded there is a gas giant in the outer solar system
>>
>>7638088
Yeah that's gas giant, could be something Earth or Mars sized out there.
>>
With the lack of light in the Oort Cloud it will be hard for humanity to say for sure if a gas giant does exist out there. However as technology develops I'm sure we will eventually find a way to observe if there is a gas giant. In fact there has been a discovered rouge planet that has the possibility of containing life in similar conditions to what this gas giant may be in. A description of this theoretical planet would be a giant ocean based planet covered with a thick layer of ice and underneath would be an ocean and at the very bottom of this ocean life may be able to sustain if the planet has a molten iron core. Interesting stuff but to answer your question the only reason we cannot see this giant is due to the lack of light in the Oort Cloud.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.