[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /sci/ think of "the paleo diet"? Is there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
What does /sci/ think of "the paleo diet"? Is there some legitimate scientific/biological backing for the idea that it's healthy to eat the way our caveman ancestors did?
>>
They are the exact same as us so of course it's healthy. Why wouldn't it be?

Not that it's the best diet but it's not a bad one.
>>
>>7636751
The fact is it just significantly limits and cuts carbs sources that are unnecessary since people are lazy slobs.... That's it.
>>
Cavemen didn't eat like that. So... no.

Here, watch a video. http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/Debunking-the-Paleo-Diet-Christ
>>
>>7636751
>no legumes allowed
*throws into trash*
>>
>>7636751
Since cavemen ate no refined sugar, highly processed and reserved foods, and got a far lower carb intake, with no further research I'mma say "yes."
>>
>>7636751
>eat the way our caveman ancestors did

Do we actually know how they ate?
Didn’t the diet change and vary over the course of the millennia?
Isn’t picking one era just as arbitrary is simply eating modern food?

Also, I’m bound to believe that almost all food advice and diets are unsupported bij scientific research, save (or maybe even including) “don’t eat (much) more than you need/burn” and “variety is your friend”
>>
>>7636950
poorfag
>>
>>7636751
My understanding is that our ancestors ate basically everything in their environment that smelled good.
As such, a decent burger is obviously acceptable in a real paleo diet.
>>
Isn't that too much saturated fat?
>>
Different groups of our ancestors ate wildly different diets. Humans are pretty good at adapting to slight differences in diet. Its a useless diet.
>>
Get all of your vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. Don't severely spike your insulin, especially on a regular basis (i.e. drinking soda everyday).

There you go perfect diet plan.
>>
They had a high carbs/fat diet. There is a dietitian who talks about this, and I believe its on tedtalks. The "paleo" diet of today is nothing more than starving yourself. Your main source of energy as a human is carbs. This is what "paleo" faggots make you cut. Which is why when you meet people in those fad diets they are always exhausted from low energy. The huge problem in the modern world is sugar. There is way tooooooo much sugar in everything. There is a research team at UCSF who is studying the effects on the human body and the results were alarming. It the main source of obesity, heart disease, and obviously diabetes. The whole no fat in your diet is based off some bunk study back in the 50s.
>>
>>7638276
There's nothing wrong with saturated fat.
>>
Based on romanticised and delusional notions of coming full circle, and being able to fill the shoes of one's ancestors.

Actuality is, humans historically have had many, many different diets. There are more personalized and intelligent ways to engineer what types of foods you eat. Even the basic heuristic of avoiding heavily processed food will be adequate for most people who don't care to know more.
>>
>>7638316
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Saturated-Fats_UCM_301110_Article.jsp

"There’s a lot of conflicting information about saturated fats. Should I eat them or not? The American Heart Association recommends limiting saturated fats – which are found in butter, cheese, red meat and other animal-based foods. Decades of sound science has proven it can raise your “bad” cholesterol and put you at higher risk for heart disease."

"When you hear about the latest “diet of the day” or a new or odd-sounding theory about food, consider the source. The American Heart Association makes dietary recommendations only after carefully considering the latest scientific evidence."
>>
File: backinmyday-filled.jpg (63 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
backinmyday-filled.jpg
63 KB, 450x600
>>7638319
>being able to fill the shoes
you sound like my Grandpa
>>
>>7636751
>What does /sci/ think of "the paleo diet"? Is there some legitimate scientific/biological backing for the idea that it's healthy to eat the way our caveman ancestors did?
No, it's an appeal to tradition.
>>
>>7638305
>Your main source of energy as a human is carbs
que? In the west we eat as much meat as carbs, which is pound for pound more energy
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.