[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
COURT ORDERS SHUTDOWN OF LIBGEN, BOOKFI AND SCI-HUB
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6
File: libgen.jpg (12 KB, 299x145) Image search: [Google]
libgen.jpg
12 KB, 299x145
>A New York District Court has granted Elsevier's request for a preliminary injunction against several sites that host academic publications without permission. As a result the site's operators are now ordered to quit offering access to infringing content, while the associated registries must suspend their domain names.
https://torrentfreak.com/court-orders-shutdown-of-libgen-bookfi-and-sci-hub-151102/

How can we neutralise the damage that's about to be dealt?
>>
>>7634879
oh fuck me
>>
Host libgen on Tor?
>>
>>7634900
The entire Genesis Library is over 30TiB, that's impossible
>>
>>7634907
>Turn them all into torrent files
>Host the torrent files
>People download
>????
>Profit
>>
>>7634907
>30TiB
Seriously that's it?
>>
they want a new dark age of class-based knowledge
>>
>>7634879

What horse shit. Everyone knows that the textbook market in the US is a complete racket.
>>
isnt the whole library mirrored already ? I think you can get it if you browse the forums of libgen
>>
>>7635003
which is why they have the money to buy baseless court orders like this
>>
>>7635025
It's not baseless though. Yes these companies are complete jews, but from a legal standpoint they have every right to stop these sites from illegally distributing their works for free.
>>
JEWISH STEREOTYPE
E
W
I
STEREOTYPE
H
>>
>>7634907
I don't think tor works how you think it works.
>>
>>7635108
As opposed to say, a public library?

Seriously, I want to see the arguement made that they are providing library services to those who do not live within a reasonable distance to a public library.
>>
>>7635003
In the everywhere actually.
>>
File: 1391488101358.png (20 KB, 800x750) Image search: [Google]
1391488101358.png
20 KB, 800x750
>>7635131
>let's move 30TiB in one day!
>>
>>7634924
that many obscure journals, there would be zero seeders on 90% of them, other than that seems like the best bet
>>
>>7635145
>grab disks
>put in colo
>configure colo for tor
>??????
>profit
>>
File: autaugaville library.jpg (52 KB, 261x140) Image search: [Google]
autaugaville library.jpg
52 KB, 261x140
>>7635132
Do you think the public library in Autaugaville, Alabama stocks a wide selection of academic journals?
>>
>>7634879
fuck
what are some good books i should grab
>>
this is bad news for everyone
>>
>>7634879

>US court orders the shutdown of a Russian site

Literally how
>>
This is the worst news I've heard this year.
>>
>>7635209
May I suggest Arthur T. Benjamin and Jennifer J. Quinn's "Proofs that Really Count, The Art of Combinatorial Proof".
>>
>>7635259

It's easy enough to download torrents of the entire database. Plenty of people do this on a regular basis. If libgen is shut down, almost immediately a new server will spring up with the old database. Libgen is an open system, not a closed proprietary database that can be destroyed by a crude court order.
>>
>>7635241
Yeah... good luck with that.
>>
Friendly reminder that courts are a broken system that need to go.
>>
I am a Russian citizen, I live in Russia[s], ama[/s], and here is my unhumble opinion.

It is a great justice that sci-hub is closed. Why? Because it was shit. It had tracking scripts in it (mc.yandex.ru), it didn't use HTTPS, it asks for money ... using WebMoney and Yandex.Money (both services are proprietary), its owner, Alexandra, owned an official page of the resource in Russian social network VK (you must bind your mobile phone account to VK account in order to use it, and at least in Russia mobile phone account is bound to passport (an ID document of Russian citizen, so is in Kazakhstan, where Alexandra presumably lives)). Too strange for intrisically illegal site.

I think that the site was controlled by MVD (abbrevation for police in Russia) and FSB (abrevation for counterintelligence and surveillance service in Russia) in order to collect info about its users in order to have compromising information for them to be able to blackmail them.
>>
>>7635290
you are exaggerating it
>>
>>7635290
it was one. The first my rgument is that the site was used to compromise the privacy of its visitors.

The second my argument is that the site kept the downloaded papers for itself. Yes, the papers were uploaded to libgen, but ... to own libgen servers, not publicly available ones. This forced the users to use sci-hub, not any libgen site. The custom libgen setups were protected with captcha to prevent automated download.

All these became makesense if the one would assume that the site current target was not to provide sree access to knowlege, but to be a HONEYPOT for the pirates.
>>
>>7635305
Are you Russian?
>>
>>7635313
Yes. And sorry for bad english and typos, (in fact I have upper intermediate skill level), I'm just overexcited a bit.
>>
>>7635327
Why are you guys so shitty in CSGO?
>>
>>7634879
China
>>
Thanks for reminding me to grab that Neuroanatomy book, OP
"Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple" for those interested, supposed to make it really simple
>>
>>7635209
>>7635129
>>
>>7634883
No.
>>
>>7635269
I don't have 30 terabytes of free space unfortunately for me.
>>
Stallman is always right.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.en.html
>>
fucking jews
>>
>The Judge notes that under current law researchers and the public are allowed to publicly share “ideas and insights” from the articles without restrictions. People can also freely use the copyrighted articles for research or educational purposes under the fair use doctrine.

You're allowed to know stuff that we won't let you know in the first place. Also, you're allowed to use stuff that you don't have access to!!

Who the fuck is this retarded judge??
>>
It needs to be copied and spread all over. HOST IT EVERYWHERE.
>>
>>7635855
the problem is hosting all of it. there's just so much data.
>>
RIP. I blame Reddit for telling every retard on /r/scholar to use it.
>>
File: right_to_read.jpg (64 KB, 787x599) Image search: [Google]
right_to_read.jpg
64 KB, 787x599
• you have no right to read
• the State grants no such right
• reading is a privilege
• you must pay for privilege
• failure to pay is piracy
• how do you plead?
>>
>>7635861
Why when it can be upped to Bibliotik or something and we just seed bits of it?
>>
some of my math books

analysis
complex vars
probability
linear algebra

https://mega.nz/#F!N4cGVCaZ
>>
>>7635241
>amerikucked circuit cour corrupted by publishing industry: pls show up to court or we suspend domain name
>based ruskis: lol nah
ruskis get a new domain name with a foreign registrar or better yet, an onion link, go back to feeding in my dota 2 games and all is right with the world

you guys are getting too worked up over nothing
>>
>>7634879

Better not take sci-hub away from me.

Better fucking not.
>>
>>7635241

Americlaps are increasingly ham-fisted and impotent. Please die americunt power structure, you're not welcome any more.
>>
i cant download any PDFs from bookfi!!!!!!!

its happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>7636271
jews did this.
>>
>>7636271
bookzz.org seems to work. Looks like a clone website for bookfi
>>
>>7635945

decryption key was missing
here it is

https://mega.nz/#F!N4cGVCaZ!nuh0Ftx02YOylt92iRy64A
>>
>>7635812
>http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.en.html
Based Stallman.
>>
File: ipfs-logo-white.png (24 KB, 640x256) Image search: [Google]
ipfs-logo-white.png
24 KB, 640x256
ipfs? camlistore? bittorrent-sync?
>>
>>7635148
>zero seeders on 90%
If only we could make a more distributed version, where in order to access information you have to host some of it. Maybe this could be done using something like the bitcoin blockchain.
>>
>>7636475
There are systems like Perfect Dark that work this way. If a more generic implementation of the core idea was possible, it would be ideal. Hopefully it could also track the population of each chunk ID, and prioritize distributing the rarest.
>>
File: 1445405907479.jpg (23 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1445405907479.jpg
23 KB, 429x410
Yeah, remember the time when TPB and KAT were down?
Me neither.
US court can't do shit against the Russ.
>>
>>7636502
Hosting torrents is easier (few gigabytes). You can create a copy easily. If a file hosting website goes down, the material is hard to copy and make redundant.
>>
>>7636511
Torrents are decentralised, they don't allow enough control to fit Alexandra's needs.

>>7636502
There are own copyright faggots (we call them copyrasty (кoпиpacты) which is made by combining the words copyright and faggot (pederast (пeдepacт) in Russian)) in Russia. There are officials who steal people's money too. If elseveir stoped its contracts with russian science orgs, these officials will lose a part of their income. So if elseveir blackmailed russian govt with terminating contracts, sci-hub would be immeadeately blocked.

>>7636424
>>7636271
they don't have most of the papers from sci-hub

>>7635951
I think she won't do this because it would eliminate the metainformation collection potential.

>>7635366
>CSGO
what is it?
>>
>>7635170
TIL of colo...
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.