[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The notion of "five senses" does not include temperature.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1024px-Five_senses[1].jpg (155 KB, 1024x1207) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Five_senses[1].jpg
155 KB, 1024x1207
The notion of "five senses" does not include temperature. Is the bodies ability to distinguish temperatures objectively similar to touch?

To me, subjectively, my ability to distinguish hot and cold is as different to distinguishing pressure as say, touch vs taste, is listing 6 distinct senses more accurate than just the 5?
>>
"Humans have more than the commonly cited five senses. The number of senses in various categorizations ranges from 5 to more than 20. In addition to sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing, which were the senses identified by Aristotle, humans can sense balance and acceleration (equilibrioception), pain (nociception), body and limb position (proprioception or kinesthetic sense), and relative temperature (thermoception). Other senses sometimes identified are the sense of time, itching, pressure, hunger, thirst, fullness of the stomach, need to urinate, need to defecate, and blood carbon dioxide levels." -wikipedia: List of common misconceptions
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions
>>
>>7991910
Thermoceptors are part of touch.
>>
>>7991935
>the sense of time

how does that work then
>>
>>7992030

Not him but I think that pertains more to the ability to understand and perceive measurement/progression/degradation of observable phenomenon.
>>
Chemoreception
Mechanoreception
Photoreception

Bam, 3 senses baby.
>>
>>7992030
Start a timer, look away, and try to gauge when 30 seconds have passed. Stop the timer without looking, if possible. It'll be somewhere around 25-35s (and much closer if you were counting the seconds). That's your perception of time at work.
>>
>>7991910
You feel temperature with you your skin don't you?
Stop being autistic please
>>
>>7992116
what about balance
what do you feel balance with, hmm?
>>
>>7992127
Something in your ear
I agree that humans have more than 5 senses but it's just like saying "why are there only four elements when trees arent made of water fire air or earth?"
>>
File: Chekov_ceti_eel_pain.jpg (213 KB, 1021x757) Image search: [Google]
Chekov_ceti_eel_pain.jpg
213 KB, 1021x757
>>7992134
>Something in your ear
>>
>>7992146
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense_of_balance
Spast
>>
>>7992155
>whoosh
>>
Is thinking a meta-sense?
>>
>>7992134
So it's a traditional saying that we will never update because muh heritage. (plants are water, earth, and air based btw. So sug a gock ;^))
>>
>>7991935
/thread
>>
>>7991910
Bullshit abstractions

Every neuron that delivers information to the brain is a "sense"
>>
>>7991910
Temperature is rolled up with touch I would think. Anyway, we also have propioception, passage of time, acceleration, etc. I think the current estimate is at least 10-14 clearly definable senses and a bunch of others that aren't 100% discrete from the rest.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.