[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is any person smart enough to get a PhD, assuming they have no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: harpoon-gun.jpg (26 KB, 570x327) Image search: [Google]
harpoon-gun.jpg
26 KB, 570x327
Is any person smart enough to get a PhD,
assuming they have no mental disorder,
they have enough money to attend university,
they devote sufficient time to studying
and they live in an environment that supports their academic pursuits?
>>
>>7983587
>Is any person smart enough to do x, given [requirements to do x]?
Yes
>>
>>7983611
I guess my real question is,

Is intellectual achievement merely a function of will? Or are there subtle, imperceptible differences in our mental faculties that would only preclude us from higher education when we reach an indeterminate level?

Take Einstein or Feynman. They obviously were from well-off families that wanted them to go to university, themselves did not exhibit mental disability, and studied furiously and continuously. Are the towering achievements of Einstein, Feynman or Newton the result of mere willpower? Is there some genetically determined knot of neurons somewhere in their brains that produces stunning mathematical insight? Are they merely the result of a lifetime of fortuitous circumstances?

What's the nature of intellectual achievement?
>>
>>7983630
Sub 150 brainlet detected.
>>
>>7983639

sub brainlet 420 smell't
>>
>>7983587
yes and also PhDs should really stop demanding people call them, "doctor." No, you have a doctoral degree, you are not a fucking doctor of anything.
>>
>>7984261
>you are not a fucking doctor of anything.
Do you know what PhD stands for?
>>
>>7984261
>has Doctorate of Philosophy of X field
>not a doctor
>>
a person of 100 IQ can get a PhD in gender studies but they're never going to get a real PhD let's face it
>>
>>7984261

>Doctor of Philosophy

>Not a doctor

You're just mad that a post-doc told you to show them some respect because you were being a little faggot
>>
>>7983587
>any
No
For example, people who do not score about 90th percentile in the population on the American test SAT basically have no chance of completing a physics major, actually in 10 years of data, basically nobody ever did it, at least in the University of Oregon.
>>
>>7983630
no. there is a hard cutoff for any intellectual pursuits based on your IQ.

freeiqtestonline.com will be able to give you an accurate score. generally if you are beow 130 any physical science is inacceptable.
>>
>>7983587
Yes
A women's studies PhD shouldn't be that hard
Honestly any person who is actually interested in a subject, has a normal healthy working brain, can do basic algebra, and can read should be able to pursue any degree they want.
>humans
>not always forgetting a supercomputer exist in their skull
>>
>>7984331
Humanities is a lot different from STEM. Math and physics PhDs especially are weirdbeards with giant IQs
>>
>>7984317
>tfw you got 30 on the ACT without trying
going for the doctorate lads wish me luck
>>
>>7983630
I refuse to believe that a healthy person cannot obtain a PhD if you wanted to. Anyone can earn a PhD if they seriously applied themselves. The problem is that people are lazy.
>>
>>7984318
>freeiqtestonline.com will be able to give you an accurate score.
Any site that rated you above 130 is inaccurate.
>>
>>7983587
Probably not at elite places where they would actually pressure you and kick you out if you fail quals or aren't productive enough. Certain places do require that drive. A PhD at a random university with a lenient advisor? Yes, and I believe that would be true for all fields. I've read some truly terrible theses. Getting a PhD is not actually such an accomplishment.
>>
>>7984339
true.
Its strange how well shit like megaencephaly (big brains) autism and IQ correlate.
But I still believe they could make it to PhD, they may not be distinguished, but it isn't impossible if they just do their homework and rote learn
>>
>>7984339

Not necessarily. I've actually met some very interesting and attractive women who are STEM PhD's as well as MD's. Personally I want to either do an MD and specialize in psychiatry or dermatology, or maybe pursue a PhD in something like clinical psych (inb4 shitstorm). I've dated/hooked up with other women and I wouldn't call myself a fatbeard.

>tl;dr not all people who pursue graduate studies are autists

But a lot are.
>>
>>7984394
>but it isn't impossible if they just do their homework and rote learn
Isn't the entire academic output of the glorious PRC a testament to this?
Have you met a good professor who wasn't diaspora?
>>
>>7984410
I would say being having extreme difficulty in forming any but the most formal social relationships would be a benefit.

It's interesting how on the other end of disorders of socialization there are disorders of oversocialization like certain drug dependencies and cluster B personality disorders.
>>
>>7984318
iq is 83, fuck this shity game, shit stats across the board, can't wait to die.
>>
>>7984371
Is this a troll? I got 91
>>
>>7984489
No my fellow genetic failure, we were fucked from the start.
>>
>>7983587
>and they live in an environment that supports their academic pursuits?

id give up 20 iq points for this srs

id like 20 iq points too so i could figure out how to get this
>>
>>7984261
Kill yourself.
>>
File: retarded super short bus.jpg (85 KB, 559x581) Image search: [Google]
retarded super short bus.jpg
85 KB, 559x581
>>7983587
i think it really depends on the field of study
for example, getting a phd in math would be much more difficult than getting a phd in gender studies.
>>7984489
>>7984477
got bad news boys
>>
>>7984517
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtkST5-ZFHw
>>
>>7984477
>>7984489
>>7984371

i hope you realize i was joking. i didnt even know freeiqtestonline was an actual domain.
>>
>>7983630
>intellectual achievement
>PhD

lol That's not how it works. You only need money, time, and dedication. You absolutely do not need to be "smart" to get a PhD. That is a fallacy. All a PhD means is that you can't get more any education for that field of study from a University. It is like getting a blackbelt in some random martial arts dojo in the midwest. Anyone can do it, but not that many people really give a shit enough to jump through the hoops.

>>7984261
>PhDs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy
>>
>>7983587
depends on the field
>>
>>7984354
I got 32 in ninth grade and dropped it to go straight to college, faggot
>>
>>7983630
anyone below IQ of 180 can't become a grand master in sc2.

the real test of iq is sc2
>>
>>7984269
Well it is a real PhD although not really a respectable one
>>
>>7985811
Really? Because it does say "time do matters" so I wouldn't doubt it.
>>
>>7984318
>freeiqtestonline.com
WTF is with that test and those bizzare letter/number sequence puzzles, it's just testing if your though process happens to align with the once of whoever wrote the test.
>>
>>7984371
I got a 106 and it called me average, idk if Im a normie idiot or the test is BS. It's certainly not like any of the cognitive tests i took as a kid.
>>
>>7986520
There's nothing wrong with the test other than the Q with the sphere because you need to know formulas to answer it. I got 133 on it and I'm a ChemE student, seems about right.
>>
>>7986076
But wouldn't you say the requirement of a dissertation in principle means that you've permanently advanced a field of knowledge into previously unknown territory? Is this not the hallmark of an developed intellect?
>>
>>7986183
Why are people so mean on this board?
>>
>>7986635
nah i got the sphere question it was easy the answer was 3.
4piR^2=SA
4/3piR^3=V
r^2=1/3r^3
r=3
right?
>>
>>7983587
Yes. Universities don't exist for the benefit of geniuses; they were already geniuses. University is just to help the noneccentric brainlets cope with their lifelong confusion. You're welcome.
>>
>>7984261
I'm pretty sure that they are supposed to be working in their field to use their doctor honorific. At least, my uncle dropped it when he retired.
>>
File: steam.png (18 KB, 644x644) Image search: [Google]
steam.png
18 KB, 644x644
>>7984318
>using a test created by elitist eugenicists a century ago to measure intelligence based off contemporary values and an false basis in psychology
I like how you got the first letter of every word to spell gullible though.
>>
>>7986643
This is the containment board for nonathletic neckbeards with superiority complexes, what did you expect?
>>
>>7987033
>containment board
You haven't been here long.
>>
>>7986930
Yeah, you needed to know 2 formulas obviously it's easy. Some people don't remember them off by heart which is why it shouldn't be a question.
>>
>>7987041
The key words being "superiority complexes", most chanateres know they're shit human beings.
>>
>>7987050
You haven't been here at all, have you?
>>
>>7986640
There are no actual standards for dissertations, so the quality varies a LOT. Also, some advisors will handhold you through the whole process, so that you never really have to think for yourself. That's why even after you graduate, people will still doubt your joint publications with your advisor and wonder how much of that is really from you.
>>
>>7987053
First time back since the exodus, nothings changed.
>>
>>7987061
>the exodus
Uh-huh. >>>/pol/
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.