[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Healthcare in the US
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: TrumponDocs.png (86 KB, 490x266) Image search: [Google]
TrumponDocs.png
86 KB, 490x266
Im a med student and I have to say, health care system in the US can be pretty bad. Obviously not all doctors are going to be money grubbing, but a lot of them are. I mean they keep the number of resident slots low so that they suppress internal competition, they always opt for expensive procedures and a whole list of unnecessary tests for extra dosh, they over-specialize in the fields, and they are terrible when it comes to patient interaction. We really do need to shake things up in the medical field because this kind of stuff needs to stop. Any thoughts?

>pic semi related
>>
>>7970738
You have a career that should only be occupied by people who are selfless and want to care for others. The thing is most people that really want to help others go into social services. Why study for 10 years to help people if I can go out and join a charity instantly?

So naturally due to the large obstacle of obtaining a medical license and proper training, good people who dont care for that stuff are turned away.

Because of this though wages are high due to the rigor of becoming a doctor so naturally motivated people who want to make money go into it.

The result is you have people doing their job not because they particularly care about their filed or the people they help, but because of the money they make.

That's why wages are shit for military personnel and other important jobs, because they don't want people joining for the money.
>>
>>7971077
But they are better doctors for offering more money right?

I always thought our state sponsored education would improve if we offered higher teacher salaries and increased competition.
>>
>>7971077
That is some great insight, and it makes sense when you think about it.

Its kind of depressing when you think about it. And I can definitely see it in my classmates. They pretend to be altruistic but really they care about prestige. I suppose I'm guilty of playing the game too to an extent.

I'm just hoping that technology will eventually start phasing out the need for such a high education and rely more on sociable and empathetic people.
>>
>>7971082
Not really, doctors get paid for the number of patients they receive (usually). This in turn leads to less patient time and doctors who are impatient to what they think is a waste of time when it comes to connecting with a patient.

About the teachers, I always thought that being more strict with who could be a teacher would help as well. But I am definitely no expert on the matter.
>>
>>7971077
>That's why wages are shit for military personnel
while thats technically true, you don't join for the pay, you join for the benefits and perks.

the GI bill alone is worth 250k$.
>>
>>7970738
I earned my undergraduate degree in microbiology, always considered the possibility of becoming a doctor. Now that I'm here it doesn't seem realistic, I can not afford medical school in the United States, so it doesn't seem like an option for me anymore.
At this point I'm hoping to get a job in a lab somewhere, ideally working towards making advances or manufacturing the treatments that doctors use to help people. But the job market is pretty shit for that, too.
I may end up consigning myself to some IT or programming job in the end, making it easier for people to look at cat photos. It's hard not to be cynical about where society's values lie these days. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong and the government will decide to cover my medical school, or good jobs will materialize.
>>
>>7971161
Society strongly values bioinformatics, and encourages people like you to enter that field by throwing money into it.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.