[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What books should you read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
So you become "good will hunting "mode
>>
>>7076619
Any book you want. They point is he read lots of books, not just special books that made him smart.

If you're too dumb to figure that out you'll never make it.
>>
Gödel, Escher, Bach
>>
the bible
>>
>>7076619
I think you missed the point of the movie where he can memorize entire books easily.
>>
>>7076649
Maybe you missed the point where I just meant what books are good reads in genral to improve your intelligence/knowledge
>>
>>7076619
inter-universal teichmuller theory
>>
File: Logic, Reason, and the World.png (3 MB, 4901x540) Image search: [Google]
Logic, Reason, and the World.png
3 MB, 4901x540
>>7076619
>>
>>7076619
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations
>>
>>7076654
start reading world history
then sciences
pretty much all you need really
and yes social sciences are included in that
>>
>>7076635
An eternal golden bullshit
>>
>>7076654
>reading
>to improve your intelligence
You can't improve your intelligence.
>>
>>7076697
>all that shitty fucking christian philosophy and (top lel) the bible
>filename includes logic, reason
Fuck off.
>>
>>7076697

all things considered, the Bible would be worthwhile to read. That way you can understand why people are brainwashed and have the arsenal to refute their arguments rationally

But what do I know, I haven't read the bible or touched it in 18 years
>>
>>7076697
>Euclid
Shelf/reference tier
>Plato, Aristotle, Archimedes
Meh, read if you like, might be interesting for history's sake or if you're a philosophy major
>Bible
Skim once or twice to get the gist. Good for understanding christfags
>Ptolemy
might be interesting
>Augustine, Aquinas
kek tier
>Copernicus, Descartes
again, history tier
>Euler
Might be interesting, but I vomited at the cover
>Gauss, Boole, Einstein
Popsci tier. Reading about them won't make you as smart as them, you know? If you want to understand relativity then read a relativity textbook.

Having said that the Einstein would probably be interesting for historic reasons.

And finally, none of these books will make you smarter/more intelligent/more appealing to women/insert snake oil claim here
>>
>>
>>7076697
I don't understand why reading the very first papers written on a subject is a good way to get into said subject...

Euclid is good because it's entertaining and different. Euclid is an overly convoluted way to learn geometry.
>>
>>7078083
>>7078193
>Not understanding the significance of City of God or Treatise of the Law

Kek is on you folks. Take any western philosophy class. They'll be on the itinerary.
>>
>>7078193
>>Gauss, Boole, Einstein
>Popsci tier

>The original book that created number theory as we know it and shaped modern mathematics
>The original book that created the foundation of the computer age and inspired Shannon, Hamming, et al
>The original papers that fleshed out and traces the development relativity

You're an idiot

>>7078223
>I don't understand why reading the very first papers written on a subject is a good way to get into said subject...

It isn't. It's good for perspective into how the subject developed
>>
>>7078259
implying they'll give you a better grasp on the subject than a decent textbook
>>7078222
lol
>>
File: knowledge = power.png (2 MB, 878x1235) Image search: [Google]
knowledge = power.png
2 MB, 878x1235
pic related
>>
File: 50ShadesofGreyCoverArt.jpg (47 KB, 275x414) Image search: [Google]
50ShadesofGreyCoverArt.jpg
47 KB, 275x414
>>
>>7078082
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3853584/

>b-b-b-but muh satic IQ!!!!

Psychology is a pseudoscience which has built a dogma of "IQ NEVER CHANGES", neurologists generally advocate the position of brain plasticity. Which group has more authority over you?

My IQ changed by 15 points over 4 years, IQ is not static, stop claiming that it is static just because some idiot pseudo-scientists claim it is.
>>
>>7078436
You're right, i feel like my IQ dropped 3 points by reading your message.
>>
>>7078436
Listen to this man
>>7078463
dumbass
>>
>>7078412

I'm thinking about picking up some books about color theory and radiometry, will this book help?
>>
>>7078436
>!!!!
of course iq changes, average performance of the population is a factor in it. That doesn't mean its factors are within your control, specially not through something like reading.
>>
>So you become "good will hunting "mode
the first few pages of an introductory graph theory textbook...
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.