[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just wanted to revisit in new light what I've for a long
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: !wave.png (60 KB, 328x361) Image search: [Google]
!wave.png
60 KB, 328x361
I just wanted to revisit in new light what I've for a long time accepted as fact.
For example like how Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is popularized as an irrelevant bastardization of a simple idea into an almost mystical process of cat magic. While in reality it just states that the photons you observed the electron with would have changed the momentum of said electron before hitting your eyes, rendering your observation wrong now.

All this quantum stuff can get pretty "mystical", like with electron tunneling and teleportation, etc. So is any of that also bastardized to appeal to popular science and can you de-mystify it?

(One for example is I read some thing a long time ago about how there's a possibility, albeit a 1/fucktillion chance, that you could suddenly appear on mars due to the infinitely-extending uncertainty wavelength)
>>
>>7964588
Dont know wtf youre talking about op. Refer me to some pleb-entry level readings. Sounds cool though
>>
>>7964721
Not OP, but, the first and last chapters of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David Griffiths is a good start. It's pretty widely used and probably has a torrent or something.

Keep in mind, the book works off the Copenhagen interpretation and will be using the concept of "collapse" even though it has not been explicitly proven to exist.

Also, If you want to get strait into the philosophy of things then check out Quantum Mechanics and Experience by David Z Albert. The second half gets a little weird and Albert himself has generally distanced himself from it but the first half is a good introduction to quantum mechanics with minimal formalism.

Good luck, Anon.
>>
>>7964588
It has nothing to do with photons, asshat. There are no simultaneous eigenfunctions of the position and momentum operators. Read a book.
>>
>>7964588
Do you have the full original comic?
I can't find it easily on smbc
>>
>>7964588
>While in reality it just states that the photons you observed the electron with would have changed the momentum of said electron before hitting your eyes, rendering your observation wrong now.

No, that's not what it means. That's what Heisenberg thought it meant. What it actually means, stripped of pop-sci fluff, is that the position and momentum operators do not commute. And they're not special; there's lots of other non-commuting pairs.

When you measure some observable A, it can only appear in an eigenstate of that observable; but if two observables don't commute, an eigenstate of A is not necessarily an eigenstate of B, and so measuring A doesn't necessarily leave B with a unique measurable value. It is not necessarily meaningful to talk about A and B having a defined value at the same time, since any individual measurement will pin down only one at a time.
>>
>>7966445

I think the joke is that the dad abandons his son at that moment
>>
>>7966568
> son
It's his daughter.
The story is how he keeps going to the bathroom to read books to answer her questions, like when shes a kid "why is the sky blue?"

The punchline being, he found the unifying equation when she asked that.

Then the extra panel shows him saying "show no weakness"

cant find it in english though
>>
File: 1426163901-20150312.png (355 KB, 684x1979) Image search: [Google]
1426163901-20150312.png
355 KB, 684x1979
>>7966568
>>7966687
dw I found it
>>
File: 1426163413-20150312after.png (12 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1426163413-20150312after.png
12 KB, 360x360
>>7966568
>>7966687
>>7966690
>>
>>7966687
>tfw taught myself moonspeak
Comes in handy a lot
>>
It doesn't matter if you subscribe to a philosophy/interpretation other than the Copenhagen interpretation--all have collapse as an effective consequence if it's not included via axiom.
You might split worlds/etc., but the experiment will only return a collapsed value. There aren't interpretations that allow for exact prediction of experimental measurement or dismiss a probabilistic model.
>>
>>7964588
that's exactly what the heisenberg uncertainty principle DOESNT mean, you fat fuck
>>
>>7966690
so what happens if you make a gas of electronic particles?
>>
>>7966752
>gas of charged particles
Thats exactly what plasma is
>>
File: false.jpg (20 KB, 298x310) Image search: [Google]
false.jpg
20 KB, 298x310
>>7964588
>While in reality it just states that the photons you observed the electron with would have changed the momentum of said electron before hitting your eyes, rendering your observation wrong now.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.