[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain how to do question 15? The PAT mark scheme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_2016-03-30-22-16-07.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-30-22-16-07.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
Can someone explain how to do question 15? The PAT mark scheme doesnt include workimg for these bits.
>>
>>7968363
I'm just taking a guess here. 36 km/h converts to 10 m/s. 160 Volts*100 Amps gives 16000 Watts which converts to 16000 Joules/s which converts to 16000 Newton meters/second. When dividing by 10 meters/second we are left with 1600 Newtons. A lot of the time physics problems can be easily solved with dimensional analysis. Just know your units, what they represent, and cancel out as many as you can and you're left with the correct answer. However, I have no idea how efficiency plays into this so if anyone else could actually explain physically what I just calculated it would be appreciated.
>>
>>7968381
>assuming 100% efficiency
>>
>>7968363

How do you do 14?

looks grim af
>>
>>7968381
>However, I have no idea how efficiency plays into this so if anyone else could actually explain physically what I just calculated it would be appreciated.
^Friction causes the car to decelerate, so to keep its velocity constant you have to put in energy over time, i.e. input some power.
That power is of course supplied by the battery pack. I guess the efficiency part just wants you to ignore ohmic resistance etc, i.e. all power is converted into kinetic energy of the car.
As for forumulas, dW = F * dx, so P = dW/dw = F * v
>>
>>7968383
I can read, I'm not retarded. I'm asking because 100% efficiency is never possible and I'm actually interested for my own education rather than trying to get help in a homework thread.
>>
>>7968390
>dW/dw
do you mean dW/ds? And if it gave an efficiency you'd need to know the dimensions of the tire in order to know how much angular velocity is converted to lateral velocity and be able to determine what the velocity should be without air resistance right?
>>
>>7968389
are you serious? Ideal gas law, PV=NRT. N is the number of moles and it's calculated from the molar mass of CO2 and the 88 g.
>>
>>7968399

You're overthinking this. It's just that when the car is moving at a constant speed the force due to air resistance (ignoring tire friction I guess) has to equal to the force provided by the air resistance. If there was an imbalanced force the car would accelerate.

Efficiency comes into it in you assuming that the power going through the battery goes entirely to keeping the car in motion.
>>
>>7968399
>>dW/dw
>do you mean dW/ds?
Pardon me, it should be dW/dt (v = dx/dt, wouldn't make sense otherwise)

As for the efficiency part, don't sweat the details. You know how you usually ignore friction in simple physics problems?
It's like that here, except not exactly because friction is kind of at the heart of the problem.
The efficiency bit is just there to tell you "energy lost due to wind = energy supplied by battery, so constant velocity" It is a simplification of the problem, sure, but you can make it arbitrarily complex if you wanted it to be "realistic".
>>
>>7968404
it's even easier if you write the ideal gas law as

[eqn]P = \rho RT[/eqn]

just plug all data in
>>
>studying for the PAT

pleb
>>
>>7968463

KILL YOURSELF
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.