[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>people said actuarial science was a lot of math >became
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 709x765
>people said actuarial science was a lot of math
>became AS major
>tfw I didn't get to take real math classes like any analysis classes, diff eq, or disctrere math or anything
>tfw I got tricked into meme Maths like intrest theory and just pricing shit
>>
>>7958138
>>people said computer science was a lot of math
>>became CS major
>>tfw I didn't get to take real math classes like any analysis classes, diff geom, or abstract algebra or anything
>>tfw I got tricked into meme Maths like automata theory and just algorithms shit
>>
File: tumblr_m1mk8xN2xz1r9hk65o1_400.png (209 KB, 397x295) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m1mk8xN2xz1r9hk65o1_400.png
209 KB, 397x295
>>7958138
>major in actuarial sciences
There's your mistake anon and you're an idiot for making it. Normally people just major in math and take the actuary exams on the side. Ya don fucked up anon.
>>
>>7958138
The actuarial math programme at my university also has even less pure math classes than most applied degrees despite only being offered by the math department.

Then agian it's much more difficult to get in and stay in the actuarial math programme and actuarial math students are far more respected than pure math.

If your goal is to impress real, serious people and get a decent job you made the right choice. If your goal is to impress some loser autist on 4chan -we'll actually I still respect you more than pure math undergrads to be honest.
>>
>>7958151
T-thank you anon. I needed that.

All the fellows I've talked to are smart af regardless of there undergrad, so I agree there's merit to what you're saying
>>
>>7958138
I'm in first year of actuarial science and we're already doing real analysis
>>
>>7958142
But then how would they learn their business acumin? No one wants to hire an autistic 4chan math major
>>
>>7958160
BBA in AS is what I'm getting. Yours a BS in math with a con. In AS?
>>
>>7958165
Nope, b.comm majoring in actuarial science
>>
>>7958172
School?
>>
>>7958174
Its a g08 university in Australia
>>
>>7958162
If you're majoring in math and want to be an actuary more than likely you'll double major or minor in something like business or finance. And that doesn't even include the possibility of someone getting an MBA on top of it all.
>>
>>7958162
>What is reading a book

I'm a math major working in part time as a programmer in a company that works in finance, banking and security (for banks) software. The boss studied computer engineering or something similar to that (haven't asked but he knows a lot of shit related to that).

When I was asked to continue their accounting software I was handed a short accounting book and was told by the boss himself

>When I started doing this I knew nothing about finance, banking, accounting or even how money works. I just read this book and kept going.

After that I only read the introduction of the book and realized it was boring and just continued programming. That is how trivial finance stuff is.

Just read a fucking book and you already have your PhD in economy.
>>
>people said math was a lot of math
>became math major
>tfw I didn't get to take real math classes like any algebraic geometry classes, category theory, or homology theory or anything
>tfw I got tricked into meme Maths like abstract algebra and just analytic shit
>>
>>7958156
>T-thank you anon
Maybe this is demeaning, but you should work on that stutter.
>>
You could major in art history and take the actuary exams. Shoulda just majored in math dude.
>>
>>7958138
I clinch my butthole whenever someone brings up meme actuarial science
>>
>>7958230
can I touch it so I can get a better feeling for what you mean?
>>
THREAD IS NOW HIJACKED - PISS OFF OP

What is the typical and most advance type of math to use as a quant?
>>
>>7958142
In Australia where I am from, citizens can get HECS financial assistance for their university studies which means you pay back your debt once you earn more than $51,309 AUD. So obviously the logical choice assuming you meet this criterion is to do the degree and get good marks in it so that you don't have to sit all 3 parts of the exams externally (which you will have to pay for directly for each category you sit). You can complete part 1 and part 2 through undergrad and honours/masters, meaning you will potentially only have to sit part 3 externally depending on your grades.
>>
>>7958138
>>7958141
>>7958207

Is this a new meme?
>>
>>7958791
Is this meme?
>>
>>7958138
>tfw actuary BS
>get to take real analysis, stochastic calculus, and other real math classes on top

Also, Diff Eq was mandatory for Actuary majors at my uni.
>>
>>7958138
>aci sci major

what a fucking scam. I'm an actuary were i hire for my team, act sci majors are usually so unprepared for work. They are usually social inept and have zero inability to think critically.

Get a math major and take the exams just like everyone else.
>>
>>7958984
I wouldn't want to work with you or for your bitch company anyway
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.