[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Earth and Venus as a double planetary system.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: terraformedvenus.jpg (70 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
terraformedvenus.jpg
70 KB, 1280x800
Hello /sci/ I needed some information since I am writing a novel that involves aliens terraforming Venus and moving Venus to Earths orbit and turning Earth and Venus into a double planetary system similar to Pluto's. The question I have is what effect would this have on Earth's ecosystem? And I don't really want to get that much into the back story but essentially this story will take place around 100-200 years after these aliens visited and the people living on Venus adopted the aliens culture and customs while the people on Earth maintain our culture and customs. What effect would that have on our society overtime do you think?
>>
"They are almost the same size, and they are very close together. They are so close together that they orbit the center of mass between them, and the center of mass goes around the sun. Pluto and Charon are so close that they may even share an atmosphere."

First question, what would the near presence of a mass that big do to the Earth's mantle and tectonic plates? Would the tidal forces just pull Earth apart?

Second, are they to be orbiting the centre of the combined mass? If the tidal forces weren't pulling the planet apart they would certainly cause enormous sea tide changes. Look at estimates for global warming causing a 1m rise, see what would be left of the Eastern seaboard of the USA, low lying Europe, etc, then consider tidal rises three or four times bigger.

I don't think these aliens have thought this through.
>>
>>7927888
Wouldn't it be more feasible to have Earth and Venus on the same orbit, but be on the other side of the sun from each other?

though, I supposed if they can move a planet away from the sun in to a larger orbit, they will have the technology to maintain such a close orbit to Earth without both of them experiencing some pretty bad side effects the entire time.

>What effect would that have on our society overtime do you think?

Many more religions would develop. Old ones would still be strong, but new branches of those and completely new religious would spring up too. Public perception of the aliens and their relationship to them will be dictated by mass media. So, whatever the governments/mega corporations want to the public to feel/do about that will be done. There is a lot of money to be milked from the public from such an event and way of life.

As for cultural contamination, that will really depend on how relatable the aliens will be to humans, in all aspects. Otherwise, all you end up with is a culture based on a one-sided human psychological projection of what they think of the aliens. That's much like what humans already do with inanimate objects and pets for instance, anthropomorphizing something that isn't human.

So, what level of similarity do the aliens have with the humans? Use movie examples if you need to, "Alien Nation aliens/Vulcans/Superman" being the closest to humans and "District 9/Xenomorphs/Starship Trooper Bugs minus malintent" being the furthest from humans.
>>
>>>/x/
>>
>>7928089
/x/ is /b/ with worse memes.
>>
>>7927888
This is incredibly complex
>>
>>7927888
Your novel idea is retarded
>>
>>7927888
It reminds me a lot of Murasaki, OP, which you should read if you haven't already. It explores both social and bio/ecological stuff in a double planet system.
>>
>>7927888
>What effect would that have on our society overtime do you think?
It depends heavily on what you make of it. You could have a PKD-esque (cold) war in this context, or a prospering multicultural society, constant tension over resources, etc... Point being mainly that just your premise alone probably isn't enough for an interesting story, there should be something going on.
>>
>Venus moves into Earth's orbit
If the aliens were smart they would put Venus at 1 AU from the Sun, but on the opposite side of it, moving at the same angular velocity, so that Earth and Venus didn't affect each other at all. I don't think their orbits would be stable.

If Venus was in a double planetary system with us, we'd lose the moon. And it might hit someone. That's an immediate threat.
>>
>>7929566
okay, I might have to revise my remark about the unstable orbit

If the aliens could pause time and shove Venus 50 million km, it would take up this orbit transverse to Earth's orbit. There are a couple really near misses (one in NeoVenus' first year, dude) . So we're definitely going to lose the moon. That shit's going into intrastellar space eventually.

But I say that with no clue if this game's model of gravitation is accurate, so take all this with a grain of salt
>>
Universe Sandbox says we're all good. For at least 300 years.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.