[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hypothetical question. First let's assume: - our present
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: multiverse.jpg (92 KB, 650x483) Image search: [Google]
multiverse.jpg
92 KB, 650x483
Hypothetical question.

First let's assume:
- our present understanding of our universe is accurate
- there are alternate universes

In this scenario, the alternate universe in question has formed in a wholly different fashion than our own. There are no forces or particles that resemble or function like ours.

My question is: if we were able to enter into that other universe, what would happen? I would assume we wouldn't be able to perceive anything since light, sound and heat wouldn't exist as we knew them.

But how would we react in this wholly alien environment? Would the laws governing our existence keep us intact? Or would we be so incompatible with that reality that we'd disintegrate as one big "error code?" Or is it something so far beyond our ability to conceptualize that we can't hazard a guess?
>>
>>7929972
It seems unreasonable to assume that the forces or particles would be any different. They're called the building blocks of the universe for a reason.
>>
>>7929974
Building blocks of our universe, sure. But what guarantee is there that they would form in exactly the same way in another universe?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but under the theory of the Big Bang, at the start when all matter and energy were condensed into a single point, there were no individual forces or particles. Only after the rapid expansion did "things" - for lack of a better term - come into being.

In that case, why would Universe B have to result in the same "things" we got in our universe?
>>
>>>/x/
>>
>>7929972
You can only add to another universe, not take away. Certain fundamentals will always be present.
>>
>>7930252
So the assumption is all universes are derived from another? That none originate independently?
>>
>>7929972
that depends on the composition of that universe.
>>
>>7929972
Assuming everything is really strings in our Universe, is foreign Universe still strings?

If not than the question does not make sense given our current knowledge.
>>
>>7929972
Problem is, you're creating the game here, then asking how the game works.

Say there are two different universes with exactly the same rules, except the speed of light is 0.00001% different between the two. Now, somehow, a person manages to cross from universe A into universe B. A photon bounces off this guy. Which speed of light does it obey?

For whichever rules you're changing from one universe to another, you're going to have to also choose which rules get obeyed for a blob of matter that somehow makes the transfer between the two universes. Once you make all those choices, then you can define what would happen to the blob of matter based on those choices.
>>
>>7930801
>Once you make all those choices, then you can define what would happen to the blob of matter based on those choices.

I guess that's the crux of my question. Which universe "chooses?" Does Visitor-A impose their rules upon Universe-B just by existing? Or does Universe-B overrules Visitor-A by having the native properties?
>>
>>7930821
It's a purely science-fiction scenario, so you can choose whichever set of rules you like. If you want it to have some kind of value as a thought experiment, then maybe think about a single particle, like an electron, look at all the rules that govern its behavior, then put it into a universe with different rules.

If it doesn't bring its own set of rules with it, then it just becomes exactly like every other electron in the new universe. If it does bring its own rules, then things get very complicated because those rules include things like how it interacts with other particles. The two different sets of rules are going to have to come to an agreement, so to speak. Good luck, ha.
>>
>>7930821
Visitor-A inherits properties of current universe. This is because Visitor-A is byproduct of the universe. As byproduct and ultimately something which the universe animates, visitor-A inherits rules of the universe. Infact, he is the universe or rather part of it. By default visitor-A could not leave the universe without destroying himself - information intactness rule prevents this. But if moving between universes would be possible, then he would have to transfer there as data.
>>
>>7930836
>>7930871
Thanks. It's kinda silly how satisfying those answers are.

Is "information intactness" a term that gets used in (this kind of ridiculously wild) theoretical physics?

I'm not calling bullshit - I've not heard of the concept and would love to hear more thinking behind it if there is any.
>>
>>7929974
>>7930010
>>7930252
determinism is a cancer, and justifies genocide. consider there's knowledge we'll never understand, and we're all connected in some metaphysical dimension
>>
File: 0a0f09a.jpg (98 KB, 698x400) Image search: [Google]
0a0f09a.jpg
98 KB, 698x400
>>7930903
>there's knowledge we'll never understand

which implies you already know beforehand all that us understandable

>we're all connected in some metaphysical dimension

fortune cookie philosophy is cool when you're 19 and fucking retarded
get real
>>
>>7930914
genocide is okay, everything has been decided and we have no consciousness
>>
>>7931000
Trips confirm im afraid
>>
>>7931000
>GENOCIDE
and
>GENOCIDE
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.