[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /sci/. Math illiterate here. Gonna have to take Calculus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: sci.png (6 KB, 488x373) Image search: [Google]
sci.png
6 KB, 488x373
Hey /sci/. Math illiterate here. Gonna have to take Calculus next year after not doing any math for a little over a year. Highest math I took was Pre-Calc, but all I remember is basic stuff from Alg 1 and Geometry. How should I go about relearning everything? Khan Academy? Thanks.
>>
>>7920417
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you are not going for a math degree.

If that is the case then don't even bother. You will only need to understand calculus if you are asked to do proofs or some shit. Everything in calculus is given to you as a nice little formula and every calculus book is literally a bunch of formulas spaced out between long paragraphs of useless (for non mathematicians) bullshit to make you feel like you are learning but you know that for the test you are just going to memorize that the derivative of arcsin is 1 over the square root of 1 minus x squared.

Don't even bother my man. As long as you are not literally retarded then you will be fine.
>>
>>7920437
What if I'm studying in my spare time so I can really understand it and learn to model stuff with it? Spivak or Apostol?

I wanna into math maturity but it just seems impossible. Should I memorize something? Properties of numbers, sets?
>>
>>7920850
Spivak? Topkek you're on your own with this level of ignorance
>>
>>7920924
I'm a different anon. Whats wrong with spivak?
>>
>>7920850

math maturity requires repetition. you have to immerse yourself in math. you have to only think about math every day of your life. eventually you can take a break and let what you've thought about sink in. then you repeat. eventually you will begin to intuit links between concepts but only after repetition and rest. avoid distractions such as television, fiction, and other sources of irrational thinking. replace entertainment with less rigorous subjects like biology and history, rather than television and video games. stop talking to people who aren't mathematically literate. surround yourself with mathematicians. make the faculty pages of math professors your homepage tabs. subscribe to math blogs. live and breath math. then you will become mathematically mature.

people take for granted their math education. they treat it like a whore. they will only use it when they need it and then they go back to watching television and reading fiction and enjoying irrational conversations about nothing. this is why they fail at math. you must immerse yourself in math to become mathematically mature. it must be your guiding light to understanding the world.
>>
>>7923090
This is true for gitting gud for anything. If you truly care you will do this with anything that you want to attain if it's drawing or learning a new language. If you don't do anything similar to this it just proves how much you don't care, simply put.
>>
>>7923090
Best comment i've seen in this day. I'll start considering it
>>
>>7923090
Any suggestions on entry-level blogs? I know up to freshman cookbook-calc.
>>
File: OnaGSEu.jpg (29 KB, 752x693) Image search: [Google]
OnaGSEu.jpg
29 KB, 752x693
>>7923090
>this post
>>
>>7923090
Oh man! Do u have some more advice??
>>
>>7920417
Read Lang's Basic Math
>>
>>7923530

Hmmm... I don't get it. Are you implying I'm an Atheist, I have Asperger's Syndrome, or both?

>>7923667

No I don't! Especially not for sarcastic spoiled brats that already know everything about mathematics and like to mock those who are struggling to achieve something! Sorry that my IQ is only 100 and I have to try. How about you go fuck yourself you smug prick?
>>
>>7920437
i studied physics and we had to take analysis and proof everything .
>>7920417
for pre calc shit - go over khan vids at x2 speed until you get to something you dont have a complete solid grasp on .

for calc if you're doing a proper calc math-autism course you need something like an analysis textbook , i recommend Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Walter Rudin .get it from libgen (google it)

if its a technique only engineering-tier course you cant go wrong with the great courses only calc course that has videos+books , its by some award winning professor that knows how to explain shit clearly . there's no way you can not-understand this shit .search 'ttc calculus' on piratebay .

90% chance you only need the latter so go for it .
>>
>>7923090
So it's essentially like becoming fluent at a language.
>>
>>7924043
>>7924006
>>7923667
>>7923530
>>7923501
>>7923153
>>7923102

I take back what I said. Mathematical maturity is a meme. Distinguishing between "mathematically mature" and "mathematically immature" is a waste of time and doesn't make you a better mathematician.

You become what people refer to as "mathematically mature" by progressively solving harder problems, problems that require you to build on previous concepts in unforeseen ways. What at first appeared to be a trivial result may later appear general. As you learn more, your knowledge of what you don't yet know will grow, and you plans of attacking it will become more about time management than about clever, momentary, line-item tactics.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.