[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
starting uni after the weekend, could I get some advice? good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: uni.png (725 KB, 938x527) Image search: [Google]
uni.png
725 KB, 938x527
starting uni after the weekend, could I get some advice?
good studying habits, note-taking methods, what to do in lectures/tutorials, etc.
how much further will I get studying a few hours a day, compared to only doing the minimum required homework?
would you recommend extracurricular? clubs, societies? meeting people in general?
also should I use my laptop in class?

my current game plan is to take hand-written notes in class, then rewrite and organize them into separate notebooks which I can use later on for revising and things. I have a laptop, but I don't see myself using it during class, probably only outside of class (but on campus) when studying and I need to look things up.
>>
>>7891098
What Major?
>>
>>7891098
Stay away from transcription. So many student in write verbatim what the Prof. writes then don't understand what they wrote down because they weren't focusing on what was actually being said.

Do practice problems. Get in groups. Ask questions. Use office hours. Use every resource in the school. Do internships or co-op. Don't be afraid to take an extra year.
>>
>>7891099
Probably should've mentioned that, I'm doing computer science. I've got obligatory comp & math courses & I'm taking Japanese as an elective.

>>7891111
How would you recommend I record what went on in the lectures, then? I'm pretty confident I can take notes intelligently, understanding and paraphrasing, not just copying the slides or transcribing the lecturer's words.

Other advice sounds solid too, I'll keep it in mind, thanks.
>>
>>7891120
Typically, profs will rehash what thier textbooks will state, then throw in examples similar to what will be on tests. Definitely copy examples. Otherwise, try to transfer their explanations into your own words. Underline/highlight reiterated or stressed subjects/words

Some may use slides and fill in notes sheets. It's tempting to use these outright, but they typically suck and need a little more explanation or leave no room for examples.

Your "style" will probably differ, but I found this to help me understand why certain topics were important and build my understanding easier.
>>
>>7891120
>Probably should've mentioned that, I'm doing computer science. I've got obligatory comp & math courses & I'm taking Japanese as an elective.

Fuck man. Not only are you taking a retard tier major but you are also a full blown weaboo.

Just get out man.
>>
>>7891144
Thanks, that sounds like a good system. I'll see how I go.

>>7891155
Fuck off. I did a lot of research and discussion when deciding my major, there is literally no reason for it to be a retard tier major. Also, not everyone that studies Japanese is a weeaboo. I lived in Japan for years, and I'm taking 3rd year advanced Japanese in my first year to keep myself from getting rusty. Kindly fuck off if you have nothing to contribute.
>>
File: king_of_the_betas.jpg (80 KB, 540x709) Image search: [Google]
king_of_the_betas.jpg
80 KB, 540x709
>>7891098
>starting uni after the weekend, could I get some advice?
>good studying habits, note-taking methods, what to do in lectures/tutorials, etc.

You don't need college for higher learning. I dropped out of college and make more than all my college graduate friends. I've published books, have news articles, and am well respected in my field despite being without a degree.

Just my 2 cents.
>>
>>7891200
[proof needed]
>>
>>7891200
that doesn't sound like a very good reason to not put in effort
>>
>>7891098
Details are irrelevant.

Put all your effort in it. Make studying YOUR thing.
>>
be an engineer. if u cant engineer, work at dennys with all the other inferior worthless girls
>>
>>7891259
I feel like brute force effort is a very inefficient way to do things. I'm not trying to minimize the amount of work I do - I'm perfectly willing to put in the hours - but surely there are ways to make it smoother in the long haul.
>>
>>7891098
when they say they will follow a book, buy and read the fucking book
>>
What are you goals after college ?
>>
>>7891586
got it, no jewing out
what if it's just a recommended course textbook? if the prof doesn't really use it or assign readings or anything, would you still bother with it?

>>7891588
I'm thinking of heading back to japan to work. I'm liking the prospect of getting into IT or something like google/microsoft.
>>
>>7891591
>what if it's just a recommended course textbook? if the prof doesn't really use it or assign readings or anything, would you still bother with it?
i would skip only "introduction to programming ones" since that is pretty much the same online.

for everything else i would by the book.
>>
>>7891591

Ok, so for google/microsoft type of things.
I did a CS degree (very math oriented) in France and now I'm starting a phd and I have a few friends that went to google /microsoft etc.

First don't neglect math. Math is a way more advanced science than computer science which means it's much harder to learn on your own. Algebra and Probability( if it's discrete it's even better) are essential because of how they will make you think.

These companies love coding competition. Especially this one : https://icpc.baylor.edu/.
Try to see if your university has club/classes for these type of thing and do it. You don't need to have been coding for all your life to do these type of thing, but the sooner you start the better. Try to see this as a game/ challenge. I think a good site to start is: https://projecteuler.net/. It consists of small mathematical challenges you have to solve with coding. It can be very addictive and challenging.

Last : do it in c++. After a while, if you are good at programming, changing languages isn't really a problem but you might as well start with c++
>>
>>7891601
Thanks for the info. I was planning to go pretty hard on math, actually. I enjoy it, but it's not really my strong suit, so I figured I would need to work a little extra. I self-studied from the textbook and finished an entire semester's worth of math homework in highschool during summer and spent the rest of the year studying even more, I felt really good after that. Not planning on slowing down any time soon.

Coding competitions also seem like a good thing to have on my resume. It completely slipped my mind, thanks for the reminder. From what I could tell from the orientation day, I think the closest thing we had was a hacking group or something. I was a bit wary so I stayed away from it, but I'll see what else we have available. The Project Euler site looks pretty interesting too. I just signed up, I think it will be a lot of fun.

I already have programming experience. I learned a bit of java by myself a few years ago, and for my 2 years of computer science in high school, our course taught java as well. Personally I'm not a big fan of the language, and c++ seems a lot more realistic. Fwiw I've also dabbled a bit in python, but I am leaning towards c++. I've heard ruby is gaining popularity lately, and /g/ has been shilling about how it's the language to learn for STEM jobs, any thoughts on that?
>>
>>7891601
thanks bra very motivational
>>
>>7891620

Language don't really matter, once you know programming, you learn a new one pretty fast.
If you prefer ruby over c++ just do ruby. I think the important thing (and this is why I pointed you towards euler project) is that you have fun doing it and that you can do it regularly. You are young and have a lot of time to learn, if you can do it as a hobby 4 hours/week your all college life, you will be fine.

Just so you know http://www.go-hero.net/jam/15/languages These are the statistic of the google code jam, google coding competition.
>>
>>7891235
But he puts effort he just told you - he puts all the effort and time in his actual work, and I have to respect that.
>>
>>7891584
No minimize amount of unnecessary things to do, but you work effort should triple compared to what you expected.
>>
Use pomodoro. Plan your day. Review the lectures when you get home.
>>
>>7891647
Time to hop onto the bandwagon.

>>7891654
W-what if I'm already expecting to be spending all of my time studying?

>>7891655
Pomodoro sounds pretty cool, never heard of it before. Will definitely be trying it out, cheers. And yeah, planning what to do and reviewing lectures at home is a given.
>>
>>7891098

Do you go to UWA?
>>
>>7891098
I'm in the same boat, OP - starting this monday.
I'm doing biomedical science. Does anybody here have any experience in this area?
>>
>>7891672
No, I go to UNSW.

>>7891698
Can't really tell you much about that, but I hope uni goes well for you too man.
>>
For CS you need to pay attention, not take notes as most lecturers will make latex presentations anyway. Take handwritten notes or print the script for mathematics lectures. Have fun my man
>>
>>7891627

Cheers m8. I hope you do well
>>
>>7891698
I'm a chem/biochem major starting my Honours this year. Don't go and buy every textbook use lib gen and download the pdf. Textbooks for first years are so general you can get everything you need to know from Wikipedia or youtube. Sit in the first few rows of the lecture theatre and keep your phone in your bag. Read the book/lecture slides before class. Bring a print out of lecture notes and annotate slides. Review lecture slides the same day and write down important points. Like anons above said don't write transcripts, and use pomodoro. Don't study in your bedroom. Do as many practice problems from past exams/textbooks/toutorials. Become friendly with your lecturers and ask to help out over semester break in their labs for experience. First year sucks there's a thousand kids in chem class and labs are packed. Biomedical sciences are full of wannabe doctors who drop out by 3 semester. Also don't be the guy who says "fuck math I study biology I don't need math". Choose math electives for at least 3 semesters you'll be a more rounded scientists with knowledge of statistics and differential calculus. You're at uni to learn so do it and do it right first time
>>
Third year engineer here.

Before I talk about studying let me mention that this is presumabely going to be your first time living on your own. Personally I think it isn't that important to focus on studying in your first year. You should prioritise just settling in, getting used to being an adult, it is a big step up and is often overlooked.

Try to meet as many people as you can, join societies that sound cool and get involved with them as much as you can. It's surprising how many like minded people you might meet.

That being said you shouldn't neglect studying completely. Go to your lectures and sit at the front. That way professors and people on your course in general will recognise you and be more happy to help you.
It is very important to know people on your course. Solutions to coursework/exam problems are pretty hard to come by so if you know a few people they might help you out if you're stuck.

Your current game plan sounds pretty good as long as you stick with it
>>
>>7891098
Study hacks is a great website, the guy has a phd in computer science from mit.

Since your going to unsw check out chris tisdell on youtube for mathematics, he has recordings of lectures from his courses. The more maths knowledge you have going in the better.

read up/learn about the history of the subjects you are studying No knowledge exists in a vacuum, learning what people did to make the breakthroughs may give you a better context/ direction for your future. If you look up computer science oral histories on yt there is a goldmine, but i like biographies and histories.

Dont let your friends drag you down- if they want to go out every night, skip uni, fuck em. Find people motivated to study with/be around. You have to be a bit selfish if you want good grades

Gambatte yo, ausbro
>>
>>7891098
Hey, I'm a CS major too, currently finishing my BSc

>take hand written notes in lectures
seriously, this helps my stay focused so much. If I don't take notes my thoughts will start do drift off (especially in rather dry lectures) and I spend most of the lecture thinking about unrelated stuff. If I do take notes, I can stay focused and think about the material while writing it down.

>classes that just teach you how to code can easily be skipped most of the time
I never go to classes that teach you how to code. We had classes like this for Haskell, Java and C (these classes were combined with classes about other stuff, haskell was combined with algorithms and datastructures, C combined with operating systems etc.) and learning the languages from a book at home with my laptop in front of me to try stuff out has been proven much more efficient.
This may be different for you though.

>never use your laptop to take notes or write summaries
Doing this stuff with pen and paper is simply superior.

>learn in groups
Find some motivated people who study much so you can do that together.
Before exams I always meet up with some friends to talk about the material and solve problems together.

>programming languages
Doesn't matter, you'll get used to learning new languages and after you've learned 2 or 3, it will be easy. The ones I consider most useful to know a C++, python and matlab.
C++ because robotics and other more techincal stuff, python because it's easy and machine learning libs, matlab to make nice plots and do math-y stuff.
Also, Latex is nice to know to write documents and presentations.

your game plan sounds good
>>
>>7891717
>UNSW

That's a meme uni

there is literally no reason for you to not go to unimelb or anu

>muh train takes too long xd

Put your comulsory classes on the same day and shut the fuck up
>>
>>7891900
Getting familiar with your lecturers seems like a good investment regardless, I've heard it a few times. Same with being social; I'll devote some time on both fronts.

>>7891930
Cheers mate. Got a link for study hacks? Googling turns up a bunch of results and a lot of buzzfeed bullshit. And yeah, hopefully I can find the right people to hang around with. I am planning to take uni seriously fwiw.

>>7891988
Thanks for all the info and sharing what you've got from experience. In high school a lot of the kids around me who "took notes" on their laptops just opened up a word doc each class, typed down 2 or 3 lines then browsed tumblr for the rest of the hour. I don't see myself doing that, but hand-writing seems to be the way to go. I've played around a little with LaTeX as well, I love the typesetting power that you have compared to ms office. I'm not very efficient with it yet but I think I'll be using it from now on.
>>
>>7891098
Find out what type of resources your uni has to help you and take advantage of them.
>>
>>7891200
Nasty ass feet
>>
>>7891183
>lived in japan for 3 years
>doesnt want to get rusty
>claims to not be weeaboo
and on top of it your a cs major

this is you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk
>>
>>7891098
Seek resources honestly. I did not when I started and I didn't know jack shit about the resources available to me.
>>
>>7891098
consume a large quantity of alcohol.
become sexually involved with a large number of individuals (preferably the opposite sex, but hey, accidents happen)
learn from your mistakes. gain experience.
reflect on that. use it in your daily life.
>>
>>7891717
>>7892223
Go to a real university, like UON :^^)
>>
>>7891098
>laptop in class
no, it's to big a distraction, and you wont do anything meaningful.
Show up to every class 3-5 minutes early, so you can sit in the front. That way, you don't have to watch somebody else watching TBBT or playing LoL in class.
>but nobody would do that during a lecture!
They do. It's fucking disgusting.
>>
File: 1450771622829.png (300 KB, 469x540) Image search: [Google]
1450771622829.png
300 KB, 469x540
>>7891183
>not everyone that studies Japanese is a weeaboo
The only people I and everyone else know who even consider studying Japanese are weebs. Especially CS fags, the majority of weebs are either CS students or want to major in something related to that meme, because the only thing they're good at is coding and shitposting on twitter and nothing else.
>>
>>7893363
>>7893484
I hear this a lot, but what exactly do you mean by resources? Books in the library? Facilities I can use? People I can talk to? "Resource" is a pretty broad term.

>>7893567
Yeah, I wasn't planning on using it anyway. The fold down tables in the lecture theaters aren't big enough for a laptop and a notebook, and personally I'd choose the latter.
>>
>>7893345
here's the link for study hacks, i guess i should've specified
http://calnewport.com/blog/about/
>>
>>7891098
>good studying habits
Prioritize, you can't and won't get A+ in everything you will have to sacrifice certain tests and assignments in order to work on more important ones.

>note taking methods
Dont highlight everything, or you will be highlighting nothing at all. Also graphs and tables are fucking useful don't ignore them just because they seem like trivial bits of info.

>homework/own study

depends how hard your degree is, you most likely wont have time for your 'own study' shit will always be due, but reviewing material helps alot and prevents memory loss for exams

>extraciricular

Yes, but dont take it seriously, and yes do meet people you will need other peoples help.

>laptop

Sure, just dont end up sitting on fb like 90% of people.
>>
>>7891098
>good studying habits, note-taking methods, what to do in lectures/tutorials, etc.

Ace everything your first year.

Notes: Depends, if you're in any /sci/ courses then tablet vs pen-paper is close. I prefer pen-paper for drawing diagrams, although I've seen other success with microsoft surfaces and they're audio recording the lecture on the go.

General physics problems aren't 'straightforward'. Lay down the principles and then work with what you're given. It's not intuitive at times, but then you'll realize there's a pattern when they ask questions most times.

Saturday is your make or break day for studying. Success is almost predicated on what you do with your weekends.

Socialize. You don't have to be a STEM major.
>>
>>7891620
>>7891627

the C++ advice is fucking shite. If you're a CS major you should be fucking ashamed if you dont explore different languages. Maybe you'll end up using C++, but you should at least know some lisp dialect like clojure, an OO/functional hybrid like scala, and a pure functional language like haskell. What people have been doing the last 20 years should not be your ideal.

t. CS grad student using all sorts of esoteric languages for domains like hardware designs and AI.
>>
>>7893710

I would actually recommend suicide if you use a pen instead of a pencil.
>>
File: 1385714020303.png (192 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1385714020303.png
192 KB, 500x500
>>7891586
>>
>>7893735
drink bleach m8
>>
>>7891855
Thanks for the advice. I'm going for med-school though so I have to take the pre-assigned electives. Ideally I'd do another chem course, and maybe a math course too, but beggars cant be choosers. From the looks of it, half of the class will fail to live up to their doctor'ing aspirations after first semester.
>>
>>7891098
What was your ATAR?
Also, what's your transportation like? Live nearby? If I even consider going to UNSW for the life sciences, it'll be a 1.5 hour train and bus trip. Would like to know about others.

I've either fallen for the meme or it actually works when it comes to study notes and such. Try formatting it all into notes which you feel you'd be able to teach others with. It supposedly is better than other forms of revision, though I'd sure like some confirmation as to whether this applies broadly or not.

Think of the mnemonics. Also do elective tulpa so you'd be able to get someone to remind yourself of your notes as needed.

Is the cow in the bell tower story true? I gotta know.
>>
>>7891698
Take biotech classes. You need to use biotech for basically every med science subject in later years.
>>
>>7893847
96.35 ATAR, the train and bus trip is about 100-120 mins for me. Sounds like a good note-taking method, I'll give it a shot. Are tulpas even real? I thought it took a huge & constant time investment to continually convince yourself that it exists. No idea about the cow.
>>
>>7891717
Ayy starting at UNSW tomorrow too, doing Adv Math/Comp Sci!
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.