[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the point in a bachelors in math?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: 1446416199390.jpg (103 KB, 620x960) Image search: [Google]
1446416199390.jpg
103 KB, 620x960
Math major here. What makes my bachelors in math equal, or at least worth the same as any other math undergrad around the nation (USA)? I mean does it even matter the courses that I am taking? Do people that want me for their job give 2 shits about my degree, or that’s just fucking lies? I want to work somewhere that involves applied math or at least at a bank. For example here a list of math courses I taken so far:
Probability (not statistics each course is separate, junior course)
Intro to PDE (junior course)
ODE (junior course)
Abstract Algebra (junior course)
Intermediate analysis (junior)
Linear Algebra (sophomore)
A vector analysis course (According to the guy teaching this class is like Calculus 4 still was a tough course)
Advance linear algebra I & II (senior courses)
Partial differential equations (senior course)
And this is the courses I want to take:
Complex analysis (junior)
Intro to Real Analysis I&II (senior)
Numerical Analysis (senior)
Math Biology (senior)
Partial differential equations II
Should I take those courses to “enhance” my degree so I get a nice job? Or finish my math courses that I am required to take which is only 3 credits, and is a course in Survey in Math?
>>
Go get your MBA and get a job as a banker. I hope you know some shit about finance
>>
>>7849796
>I mean does it even matter the courses that I am taking

Absolutely, what separates a good degree from a bad degree (even from the same school) is the course selection.

>What makes my bachelors in math equal, or at least worth the same as any other math undergrad around the nation (USA)?

At the bare minimum a math major should take

1 semester of theoretical linear algebra at the level of Shilov/Hoffman&Kunze
2 semesters of abstract algebra at the level of Artin/Herstien/D&F
2 semesters of real analysis at the level of Rudin/Munkres/Apostol/Pugh
1 semester of point-set topology at the level of Munkres
1 semester of PDEs at the level of Strauss/Haberman
1 semester of complex variable or complex analysis
>>
You just gotta prove you are smart and know your shit ( whatever that is you wanna do ), your degree helps with that.
>>
File: uh.png (1 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
uh.png
1 KB, 160x160
>>7849796
>>7849796

am i right?
>>
It doesn't matter what you take, it barely matters what your degree is in. Prove you know your shit and you'll get hired, the degree only means you start at $70k instead of $45k.
>>
>>7849796
In general no; nobody gives a shit about what math classes you took. You will be hired to do some sort of analysis which they will train you for on the job. Unless you decide to be an actuary in which case the courses only help you prepare for the exams. you wont actually be doing any math without going to grad school, and even after you finish that, there is no guarantee that you will be doing math as your career.
>>
>>7849796
Autism.
>>
>>7849796
Decryption or encryption, that would be a fun job in the FBI.
>>
>>7850096
OP here yeah
You got me you dick
>>
>>7850189
Op here. So you people are telling me I wasted good money on hard core classes. Just to find out is not necessary?
>>
>>7849796
Why is real analysis not a junior course but complex analysis is?
>>
>>7851294
I think UH has like a pre intermediate analysis which is a junior course. I think
>>
>>7851421
What does this contain?
I'm just surprised that they learn about balls before basic analysis.
>>
>>7851227
Depend on what you count as a waste of money; you learned a lot of stuff right? Is't that what you're paying to go to college for? Or do you just what to pay the university and have them put A's on a sheet of paper.
>>
>>7851294
the "intermediate analysis" is where they learn limits, derivatives, integrals in the one dimensional real line. I''m not sure if they go to multiple dimensions; if they do that would make a lot more sense.
>>
>>7851493
Thanks for that, I hadn't spotted the "intermediate analysis" in the list.
>>
>>7851493
No
No your right why you went to Uh?
>>
>>7849796
the odds that the job you end up with actually requires math are very slim. Thats why I went to grad school
>>
>>7852875
and you did what? Masters in math, applied math, MBA, other, or engineering?
>>
>>7853794
Not that guy, but also a math major. I got a dev job at a startup. It's easy and pays incredibly well but I don't use any of the math I learned in college.
>>
>>7853818
>dev job
cool what do you do?
>>
>>7853794
phd computational math (i.e. fluid dynamics)
>>
>>7853866
Work on some shitty android and ios apps, but mostly shitpost on 4chan
>>
>>7853873
Also, some web stuff
>>
>>7851493
Is intermediate analysis just differential and integral calc? I took that shit at UT Austin as a freshman...
>>
>>7853873
>shitpost
didnt knew they pay assholes to shitpost
how much you make?
>>
>>7853881
this is the course
The goal of the course is to teach students mathematical reasoning and the construction of proofs in the environment of R1. Topics covered include the topology of R1, convergence and limits, and the proofs of well-known calculus theorems such as the Mean Value Theorem, the Intermediate Value Theorem, the Inverse Function Theorem in R1, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
>>
>>7853883
$81k/year
>>
>>7853881
>it has the same topics so it's the same as my shitty math for engineers

analysis is not calculus. if you think you really know all those things, go ahead and try to prove something fundamental, like the fundamental theorem of calculus. (hint: you need concepts of compact sets and uniform continuity which you don't see in calculus)
>>
>>7853898
>go ahead and try to prove something fundamental
do i look like some sort of faggot ass math nerd?
>>
>>7853911
no, just a faggot ass nerd who doesn't even know math.
>>
>>7853921
yeah, pretty much. why prove shit when someone else already has?
>>
>>7849807
It's pretty much just for dick waving in /sci/
>>
File: 1379777597343.jpg (446 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1379777597343.jpg
446 KB, 960x720
>>7853953
Helps you understand where ideas are coming from (if it's not a blitzkrieg proof), why things work the way they do, and helps build your solving strategy inventory. Repetition is key to learning. Sometimes there's a concept/idea in the proof that makes your mind click and gives you a deeper understanding of what you're learning; this helps your memorize and be comfortable with the material.

As someone who did 2y of ME before I decided math was more fulfilling, my interest in math is only growing stronger every year. I think to really appreciate math I needed a level of maturity and hindsight I didn't have coming from high school.
>>
>>7849836
is this what you did? thats a solid degree, but theres a lot of holes in that man
>>
>>7854138
holes is that men
what you mean?
>>
>>7849836
>PDEs
god no
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.