[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never really browsed /sci/ before, but I thought I'd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: physics.jpg (40 KB, 310x499) Image search: [Google]
physics.jpg
40 KB, 310x499
I've never really browsed /sci/ before, but I thought I'd ask a question here. I'm a humanities-inclined person who much prefers art, literature, history, etc. to STEM, but my grandma got me pic related for Christmas because she knew I liked the Yale Courses series, though the ones I liked were usually for literature. She remembered that I had recently displayed an interest, though a very superficial one, in physics and relativity, so she decided to get me this book. I have no plans to go into any science-type career, but something about me wants to go through this book just as a sort of a personal project, as a way of challenging myself. (There's far more math than there was in this online class on relativity that I had taken for fun a while ago. I'm realizing that it was pretty dumbed-down.)

Would you say there's "something to be gotten out of" doing science and math on a personal level, even if one has no desire to apply it to their career? What do you get out of science and math, whatever particular fields you may like? (Would you personally still want to learn about science/math if it wasn't just career-related?I just feel like trying a new subject for a change, though wondering whether or not it'll be a waste of time.

Also, is there another book on physics/relativity that you recommend? And what are some good ways of learning the math that physics requires? (This book goes way past the math that I learned in high school.)
>>
Physics is all about applying existing knowledge (including mathematics) to explore and gain new knowledge. Appreciating and understanding interrelationships and the cause and effects are important.

My research field imploded but I got a good job sidelining in quality assurance auditing. Applying methodologies learned in Physics enabled me to do a measurable better job than my other colleagues.
>>
File: velociraptor-mongoliensis_ii.jpg (553 KB, 2121x2121) Image search: [Google]
velociraptor-mongoliensis_ii.jpg
553 KB, 2121x2121
>Would you say there's "something to be gotten out of" doing science and math on a personal level, even if one has no desire to apply it to their career?

You get to know how the Universe works, and it works in incredibly beautiful and strange ways, from the elementary particle physics up to living organisms. It's so much better than art or literature - remember that works of humans, like art, are constrained by our mind and creativity. Nature isn't constrained in this way, and the results are unimaginably better than anything created by a human.
>>
>>7808643
I study math because it's fun. No other real reason.

I don't really buy into all that pretentious crap about how math is beautiful or how you get to see into the true framework of the universe.

It's just fun to learn how things work, to build theories and to solve hard problems.

That's probably a good book. Shankar is a great writer.
Assuming you know high school algebra and trigonometry all you should need to get most of introductory physics down is one-variable calculus.

Take a look at volume 1 of Courant if you want it for physics. People always talk about how he has stronger applications to physics than most calculus texts.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.