[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody else find that most professors are actually really mediocre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: I15_17_E8.jpg (62 KB, 435x411) Image search: [Google]
I15_17_E8.jpg
62 KB, 435x411
Anybody else find that most professors are actually really mediocre people?
>>
1) how so?

2) what else would they be?
>>
File: w_dupe.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
w_dupe.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
In my riding group there's one university professor. I was going to disagree and say that a biker professor is not mediocre at all but then I realised that he rides a Yamaha XJ600 which is one of the more boring bikes out there
So yeah, can't disagree
>>
>>7809232
Duh. The true geniuses of the world are the Li Wangs of the world who are hiding deep within bum fuck nowhere, doing nothing with their lives. I have never met anybody smarter than me, and will most likely never meet anybody smarter than me. Despite my abundance of intelligence, I remain a nobody. Why? Because I am intelligent enough to not give a single fuck about my image. I am intelligent enough to know that putting myself through pain for years on end just to build an image in other brains, brains that will one day cease to exist, is plain f-u-c-k-i-n-g ridiculous.

>Oh, b-but he can read textbooks all day and memorize things well!!11 The professor must be smart!1

Typical STEMtard falling for retarded "science = intelligence" stereotypes / memes.
>>
>>7809263
This is just really elaborate bait, right?
>>
>>7809268
By responding you fell for it
>>
>>7809232
Anybody else find that most people are actually really mediocre people?
>>
>>7809286
That's so weird. Most people I know are of average intelligence, and have average hobbies, and average families, but I don't seem to know anyone who is average in every sense of the word
>>
>>7809263
Here's your (You)
>>
>>7809300
>most people I know of are average, but I don't know anyone who is average
>>
>>7809314
Soon, when you get to high school you'll learn about standard deviation
>>
>>7809319
By all means do explain your mumbled mess of an example, oh holy high school graduate.
>>
>>7809232
I had an organic professor who was just absolutely brilliant. My partner and I both play music, so we'd talk about our favorite bands and our dream gear.

The professor overheard and started telling us about how he was this incredible jazz guitarist back in the day; he'd be playing legit venues and talked about his tube amp and stuff. It sounded comfy as fuck. He told me that once he started getting further into this masters and PhD, he just lost time to do anything fun any more.

It was sad.
>>
>>7809232
>going to a mediocre institution
I really think most of the profs in my uni are geniuses. Sometimes I google them to see what they've achieved and most of the time it is quite impressive.
>>
>>7809232
>mediocre
>They got a full time professor position at a university
>They most likely get paid 6 figures, specially in STEM
>They work half of the time a normal worker their age would
>After spending decades in grad school, all they have to do is teach undergrad. Imagine how easy it is for a guy with a PhD to teach Calc I.
>By being professors they have contact with a bunch of slutty 20-something sluts.
>To keep their relevance all they have to do is publish a couple of papers a year, which don't even have to be significant.

That is not being mediocre. That is being so good at life that you get paid 6 figures for doing what amounts to nothing.
>>
>>7809303
Daily reminder that there are egocasters trying to use hypnosis+4chan content to fuck with people's lives. You can tell by the parenthesis that hypnosis is involved, because bracket notation is the single most common way for internet-based hypnotists to alter the significance of their text.
>>
>>7809719
>They got a full time professor position at a university
They're boomers, it was about as difficult as getting any run of the mill industry job today which is why most of them still think grades are unimportant.
>They most likely get paid 6 figures, specially in STEM
So does my building super.
etc.
>They work half of the time a normal worker their age would
Myth.
>After spending decades in grad school, all they have to do is teach undergrad. Imagine how easy it is for a guy with a PhD to teach Calc I.
Imagine how annoying and frustrating it is.
>By being professors they have contact with a bunch of slutty 20-something sluts.
...that they never get to fuck.
>To keep their relevance all they have to do is publish a couple of papers a year, which don't even have to be significant.
Being able to publish requires you to keep up with contemporary research, which means reading a ton of journal articles.
>>
>>7809720
`Very nice,'' I said. ``But why did you bring me up here?''

``It's time for you to see the fnords,'' he replied.

Then I woke up in bed and it was the next morning. I made breakfast in a pretty nasty mood, wondering if I'd seen the fnords, whatever the hell they were, in the hours he had blacked out, or if I would see them as soon as I went out into the street. I had some pretty gruesome ideas about them, I must admit. Creatures with three eyes and tentacles, survivors from Atlantis, who walked among us, invisible due to some form of mind shield, and did hideous work for the Illuminati. It was unnerving to contemplate, and I finally gave in to my fears and peeked out the window, thinking it might be better to see them from a distance first. Nothing. Just ordinary sleepy people, heading for their busses and subways. That calmed me a little, so I set out the toast and coffee and fetched the New York Times from the hallway. I turned the radio to WBAI and caught some good Vivaldi, sat down, grabbed a piece of toast and started skimming the first page.

Then I saw the fnords.

The feature story involved another of the endless squabbles between Russia and the U.S. in the UN General Assembly, and after each direct quote from the Russian delegate I read a quite distinct ``Fnord!'' The second lead was about a debate in congress on getting the troops out of costa Rica; every argument presented by Senator Bacon was followed by another ``Fnord!'' At the bottom of the page was a Times depth-type study of the growing pollution problem and the increasing use of gas masks among New Yorkers; the most distressing chemical facts were interpolated with more ``Fnords.''
>>
>>7809737

Suddenly I saw Hagbard's eyes burning into me and heard his voice: ``Your heart will remain calm. Your adrenalin gland will remain calm. Calm, all-over calm. You will not panic. you will look at the fnord and see the it. You will not evade it or black it out. you will stay calm and face it.'' And further back, way back: my first-grade teacher writing FNORD on the blackboard, while a wheel with a spiral design turned and turned on his desk, turned and turned, and his voice droned on, IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . .

I looked back at the paper and still saw the fnords. This was one step beyond Pavlov, I realized. The first conditioned reflex was to experience the panic reaction (the activation syndrome, it's technically called) whenever encountering the word ``fnord.'' The second conditioned reflex was to black out what happened, including the word itself, and just to feel a general low-grade emergency without knowing why. And the third step, of course, was to attribute this anxiety to the news stories, which were bad enough in themselves anyway. Of course, the essence of control is fear. The fnords produced a whole population walking around in chronic low-grade emergency, tormented by ulcers, dizzy spells, nightmares, heart palpitations and all the other symptoms of too much adrenalin. All my left-wing arrogance and contempt for my countrymen melted, and I felt a genuine pity. No wonder the poor bastards believe anything they're told, walk through pollution and overcrowding without complaining, watch their son hauled off to endless wars and butchered, never protest, never fight back, never show much happiness or eroticism or curiosity or normal human emotion, live with perpetual tunnel vision, walk past a slum without seeing either the human misery it contains or the potential threat it poses to their security . . .
>>
>>7809737
>>7809738
Then I got a hunch, and turned quickly to the advertisements. it was as I expected: no fnords. That was part of the gimmick, too: only in consumption, endless consumption, could they escape the amorphous threat of the invisible fnords. I kept thinking about it on my way to the office. If I pointed out a fnord to somebody who hadn't been deconditioned, as Hagbard deconditioned me, what would he or she say? They'd probably read the word before or after it. ``No this word,'' I'd say. And they would again read an adjacent word. But would their panic level rise as the threat came closer to consciousness? I preferred not to try the experiment; it might have ended with a psychotic fugue in the subject. The conditioning, after all, went back to grade school. No wonder we all hate those teachers so much: we have a dim, masked memory of what they've done to us in converting us into good and faithful servants for the Illuminati.
>>
>>7809245
>Stop sign
>doesn't stop
I think I'm going to have to disagree with you.
>>
>>7809735
>it was about as difficult as getting any run of the mill industry job today
If you actually believe this and are not just trolling then I see no point in arguing with you.

>So does my building super.
They don't get the easy life.

>Myth.
This is actually true. How many hours do you think they spend teaching?

>Imagine how annoying and frustrating it is.
You think it is frustrating to do baby-tier work for six figures? Okay then. However, you must also remember that these people, after teaching the retarded undergrads, go back to their rooms and continue their research, something they are passionate about and only academia allows them to do it semi-full time.

>...that they never get to fuck.
All you have to do is make your calculus I class to be really hard. For example, don't prove any rule to them and then tell them in tests that before they use the product rule or whatever, they have to prove it right there. Just wait for the dick sucking offers.

>Being able to publish requires you to keep up with contemporary research, which means reading a ton of journal articles.
That most likely they enjoy reading. I don't know the name but there was a guy who wrote a short book about what it was really like being a math professor and researcher. The guy did complain about some things but in the end it was all about how he loved getting paid for what he does and how he enjoyed going out with other mathematicians to just talk math with them.

Professors are living the STEM dream.
>>
>>7809719
Professors with tenure at my uni make 50-60k. The highest paid ones are 70-80k
>>
>>7809245
Why on earth would he stop like that?
>>
>>7809759
No way. 50k is the salary for postdocs. There are laws about this.
>>
>all this romanticizing of academia

Stay underage /sci/
>>
>>7809769
In Germany there are 3 possibles salaries for professors:

>W1: 4105,11€ per month
>W2: 4681,39€ per month
>W3: 5672,13€ per month

I think you greatly overestimate how much money professors get.
>>
>>7809879
Nah, he's looking at the wrong measure of central tendency.

In the US, the average salary for a full professor (i.e. one with tenure) is like $116k/year. The median salary is more on the order of $86k.
>>
>>7809742
>>7809738
>>7809737

I didn't know they had a literature competition specifically for autists
>>
>>7809879
That's nothing, a refugee family of 7 gets 3.6k a month
>>
>>7809898
>can't identify satire
>calls anyone else autistic
>>
>>7809907
:^)

Autism, in the colloquial sense, is the sincere belief in satire.

Just look at /x/ and /pol/.
The satirical jokes of the early posters on /pol/ have become sincere autism in neo-/pol/
>>
>>7809918
What does a salary have to do with /pol/, you redditor
>>
>>7809904
But that just makes sense. Germany is officialy a caliphate now. Of course the islamic government would give such generous benefits to the faithful citizens of the caliphate. They deserve it, they worked hard.
>>
>>7809898
Many.
>>
>>7809939
Of course we do. It is our caliphate now, please respect our freedom to be superior to you and we may allow you to keep your homes.
>>
>>7809232
there's a political component on becoming a professor, so it's possible that the brightest minds aren't there. They still are very smart, at least in top tier universities.
>>
>>7809946
Identify yourself until your intent can be measured by all portions of yourself.
>>
>>7809263
Saved to my pasta folder
>>
>>7809759
Damn, my major professor makes ~96k without tenure. Don't ask me how. That's all I know from when she told me someday. Although since she isn't tenured she could be fired at any time.
>>
>>7810005
>she
>96k

Damn, I smell some heavy dick sucking going on.
>>
>>7809752
>How many hours do you think they spend teaching?
>the only thing a professor does ever is teach
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.