[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give it to me straight. How many hours of *hard* work do smart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: Einstein-formal_portrait-35.jpg (160 KB, 510x661) Image search: [Google]
Einstein-formal_portrait-35.jpg
160 KB, 510x661
Give it to me straight. How many hours of *hard* work do smart people do per week? And by hard work I mean stuff like mathematics / CS / physics / STEM academia (or even programmers outside of academia or smart people in general), which require stuff like mathematical knowledge, creativity, trial and error, the whole deal.

I see varying things. By default people say lots of work. But poincare did 4 hours a day of according to wikipedia. Marx worked from 9 to 7 at the british library and then more at home.

And when I think about the schedules of professors they always have lots of brainless shit in their schedules. This gives me hope. The chances of me focusing on one hard thing for more than 3 hours are remote.
>>
Well, let me tell you about my friend, one of the top 12 british mathmaticians atm

He only works, per se, like 4 hours a day - he goes into work monday to friday, but he mostly answers emails and discusses problems with other mathmaticians.

Thats it.

But the key is what you spend your free time on - my friend has like 20 hours of free time a week, but he does his maths for fun. For him, it is free time, and as a result although he technically only works a few hours a day, he is doing maths effectively every waking moment without pause because its fun for him.

IMO the difference between being good and being great is what you spend your free time on. Someone who leaves their job at the front door of their house will never he truly great.
>>
I don't get it. Do you actually think that all "smart people" have the same work schedule? Why the fuck would that be the case?
>>
From the moment you wake up to the moment you fall asleep out of exhaustion every single day non stop for as long as it takes.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.